[UNMARKED SPOILERS] Kingdom Hearts III - Spoiler Thread

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but Nomura is going to the director on both. I feel skeptical that he'll jump right back into developing two huge games at the same with how look it took KH3 and how long it's taking FF7 to release.

Even if he does, looking at usual time between mainline games, I would expect KH4 to not be out until at least 2023, and probably realistically late 2023 at that. They've already said they don't want to do a bunch of "in-between" entries, and remake of the first one would be a decent way to fill in the gap between 3 and 4. Also, I really, really would love to see it lol.
He's co-director. Saying he's director makes it sound like he's there actively working on KH3 and giving it all his focus, but we know that's not the case. The dude works in Tokyo a couple hundred miles away from Osaka, and the development of KH3 seems to have consisted of Tai Yasue and game's producer speaking to him over video conference chats mostly. There's no reason at all to think FF7 Remake is going to delay the next Kingdom Hearts game. This is what Tai Yasue said on the development of KH3:
The development team is in Osaka, and Nomura-san didn't really do a lot of the detailed stuff, as he's really the sort of creative visionary. We communicate as much as we did previously, so our working relationship hasn't changed at all. We are speeding up things for development, obviously, on Kingdom Hearts 3 as we move along, but I don't think it has anything to do with Final Fantasy.
Nomura himself has also spoken about his video meetings with the KH guys etc. and how he feels like he's more in position now where he just tells them what to do, while they're the ones being aggressive about the franchise or whatever. Basically, nothing's holding up Kingdom Hearts right now really. It's a franchise handled by Osaka Team and Nomura is basically the creative force, but he's not actively involved in its development beyond a scenario/ideas standpoint. He's not there doing the work. It'd be more accurate to describe him as a creative director while Tai Yasue is the hands on director putting it all together and doing the stuff you'd normally imagine a director does.

KH3 has taken about 5 years to release, which isn't that long for a game like this, and while FF7 Remake is already in its fifth year (it began in 2014), they also apparently screwed up with that game with whatever happened with CC2. So that will be a setback that's certainly cost them some time. But if they turn around and release FF7 Remake in 2020, then it's pretty clear where Nomura's focusing most of his efforts since that's what he's supposedly actively working on.

Oct 27, 2017
I was actually pleasantly surprised by the ending. I was expecting a LOT more anime bullshit than we got.

That said, Master Xeanhort just kind of realizing he lost and then passing into the light with his childhood friend was some hot bullshit. Dude did a lot of terrible things to a lot of people that needs to be answered for.
Well, he died there. What more could there be done to him?

Nightengale

On Extended Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
It's hard to tell whether or not if he chose to remain petty to the end, could he had survived had he possessed another vessel or was his heart basically at its last legs?

The framing of his death was through an acceptance of his defeat. ( even if he was barely able to hold on, but until Eraqus said checkmate, he still wanted to hold on )

Dec 8, 2017
I just finished the game.
I don't know what to think. I loved the game, every single bit of it. However, the only think that I didn't like is that the story, while it resolved satisfactory, it was very rushed. In my opinion, I would have preferred to not have Disney worlds in order to give much more time to the rescue of the characters. I know that is not possible, but still was an amazing experience from start to finish.

About the epilogue and Union X. I suspect that the one traitor in the Dandelions, it's Luxu (probably Blaine).

Nomura NEEDS to remake Union X into a console game. Whether it could be a complete remake like he did with Chains of Memories, or just a port, but people NEED to get familiarized with this story, since is now confirmed it will be the future of the series.

The secret ending left me without understanding anything at all, but of course the same thing happened with KH1 and KH2 at the time.

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the game.
I don't know what to think. I loved the game, every single bit of it. However, the only think that I didn't like is that the story, while it resolved satisfactory, it was very rushed. In my opinion, I would have preferred to not have Disney worlds in order to give much more time to the rescue of the characters. I know that is not possible, but still was an amazing experience from start to finish.

About the epilogue and Union X. I suspect that the one traitor in the Dandelions, it's Luxu (probably Blaine).

Nomura NEEDS to remake Union X into a console game. Whether it could be a complete remake like he did with Chains of Memories, or just a port, but people NEED to get familiarized with this story, since is now confirmed it will be the future of the series.

The secret ending left me without understanding anything at all, but of course the same thing happened with KH1 and KH2 at the time.
For me the difference with those are they left me alil more hyped I guess. Like the awesome keyblade armor or the Action packed riku and Roxas tearing shit up. I guess this one hyped you up if you were into Twewy tho so can imagine ppl that love that game we’re going wild when the 104 popped up(I had no idea that had any significance lol)

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a lot of people are taking the Org. 13 and Xehanort end cutscenes as attempts at "redeeming" the characters, and I don't think they're meant to be. It feels more like Sora being Sora and the Org accepting their deaths and the futility of their actions.

If I could have made one editorial change though, it'd have been to not have Xehanort smirking after he gives Sora the X-Blade. Other than that it read to me as him just feeling defeated and accepting his death.

Nov 1, 2017
Miami, FL
I feel like a lot of people are taking the Org. 13 and Xehanort end cutscenes as attempts at "redeeming" the characters, and I don't think they're meant to be. It feels more like Sora being Sora and the Org accepting their deaths and the futility of their actions.

If I could have made one editorial change though, it'd have been to not have Xehanort smirking after he gives Sora the X-Blade. Other than that it read to me as him just feeling defeated and accepting his death.
I think the smirking is just his default face that they didn't really animate. Like how Mickey usually has a smile on his face during neutral situations.

Oct 25, 2017

Idk about the organization members but I can clearly see why somebody would take the Xehanort scene as a redemption. Hell the fact he got to float off in the distance with his best friend was bad enough

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say that Saix, Luxord, Marluxia, and Larxene all got some amount, but there's legitimate reasons there. Saix has his deal the mysterious girl (and he was the traitor anyways), Luxord never seemed that bad to begin with, Marluxia says himself that he's regaining his identity (and assuming the nameless star is Strelitzia, she backs up the idea that he's not really himself), and Larxene's got the same issues as him.

Nov 1, 2017
Miami, FL
So a person can enter and escape from the following:

-Hearts
-Sleeping Worlds
-Digital Worlds
-Realm of Darkness
-Final World

Wonder what aspect of reality will Sora dive into and escape from next time.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say that Saix, Luxord, Marluxia, and Larxene all got some amount, but there's legitimate reasons there. Saix has his deal the mysterious girl (and he was the traitor anyways), Luxord never seemed that bad to begin with, Marluxia says himself that he's regaining his identity (and assuming the nameless star is Strelitzia, she backs up the idea that he's not really himself), and Larxene's got the same issues as him.
Yeah, and those are all characters who probably figure to be siding with the rest of the cast in the next arc (well, Isa explicitly already is by the end of the game), so I think it's pretty clear reasons there.

I'd say most of the rest got closure, but not necessarily redemption. Ansem and Xemnas both had great scenes kind of closing their arcs and bringing them to peace, but it's not like they were really redeemed or anything.

Nov 13, 2017
I somewhat expect them to pull a DBZ with Xehonort, where the big bad of the previous arc becomes a neutered awkward friend who hangs out in the next arc, usually used as a quick way to demonstrate the relative power level of the new villain.

Also they brought back way too many main characters and completely freed them of all their pending predicaments for them to NOT give at least one group a spinoff game.

My theory about the Yozora ending is they got sent to a timeline where darkness never consumed the whole world, where there aren't many tiny worlds floating in space but it always stayed as one, so instead of jumping around having to worry about the "Order", different properties can coexist and crossover in a more MCU fashion, and as such the structure of KH4 will take a new form. You'll have a TWEWY area and a pseudo-FFXV area, and perhaps a bigger videogame crossover focus overall.

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, and those are all characters who probably figure to be siding with the rest of the cast in the next arc (well, Isa explicitly already is by the end of the game), so I think it's pretty clear reasons there.

I'd say most of the rest got closure, but not necessarily redemption. Ansem and Xemnas both had great scenes kind of closing their arcs and bringing them to peace, but it's not like they were really redeemed or anything.
Master x, got redemption thru his friend reminding him of his humanity or showing the errors if hus ways.

xemnas had no one to give him that. Ansem had riku, going as far as saying he is going to miss ansem. Young X. Was just an arrogant ass.

Dec 8, 2017
Can I skip the credits and view the post scenes or do I have to sit through them
I never try with any game for the fear of skipping it. But with this game, it gives you plenty of time to go for a tissue to wipe the tears. Also, many of the credits still have scenes, so you would only skip 2 minutes of them afterwards.

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing
Truth be told I'm gonna miss Ansem and Xemnas the most. They were my favorite villains in the entire series. Though it is nice that they got one last chance to look at both the main characters and us as players and say goodbye. On the other hand I'm free of old man Xehanort and that is amazing. Also fuck everything, Young Xehanort grew on me hard over DDD and this game haha. I actually looked forward to his shit talking and I was really amused when his last goodbye was yet again more shit talking.

Oct 28, 2017
It’s not necessarily that I think more should have been done TO him. But there was no reckoning, no acknowledgement of what he had wrought. His despair seemed to be rooted in that his plan failed, not in an understanding of the wrong he had done. There was an air of forgiveness to the whole scene that he had not earned and, indeed, not even asked for.

Oct 25, 2017
Truth be told I'm gonna miss Ansem and Xemnas the most. They were my favorite villains in the entire series. Though it is nice that they got one last chance to look at both the main characters and us as players and say goodbye. On the other hand I'm free of old man Xehanort and that is amazing. Also fuck everything, Young Xehanort grew on me hard over DDD and this game haha. I actually looked forward to his shit talking and I was really amused when his last goodbye was yet again more shit talking.
I know this is supposed to be it for Xehanort, and that obviously includes YX, but I just can't shake this feeling that that little smarmy bastard is gonna pop up somewhere unexpected next arc and just be like "Suck my darkness, assholes" somehow

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing
I know this is supposed to be it for Xehanort, and that obviously includes YX, but I just can't shake this feeling that that little smarmy bastard is gonna pop up somewhere unexpected next arc and just be like "Suck my darkness, assholes" somehow
tbh I can actually see them bringing back young Xehanort to do stuff in later games. Don't know what hijinks Nomura will think of to make it happen. But with how much Nomura already stretched to bring back everyone for 3. I can see him going "fuck it" and bringing in an alternate dimension version of young Xehanort.

Nov 1, 2017
In my go through of 0.2 there are a bunch of things I just noticed that I didn't think about.

Why was there no situation commands for any of the Org XIII fight?

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I know it's only for 20-30 minutes and they "Get better" but it's so fucking wild to me that Disney let Nomura kill Donald, Goofy AND Mickey FOR REAL REAL, even temporarily. Mickey Mouse. MICKEY MOUSE

tbh I can actually see them bringing back young Xehanort to do stuff in later games. Don't know what hijinks Nomura will think of to make it happen. But with how much Nomura already stretched to bring back everyone for 3. I can see him going "fuck it" and bringing in an alternate dimension version of young Xehanort.
Depending how much we see of Luxu's journey through the years, Xehanort kinda HAS to be at least a supporting role, now that I think about it.

Nov 1, 2017
Not enough people are talking about Mickey casting Ultima or Donald's Zettaflare. Both had enough of Xehanort's shit and were ready to earn their teardrop eye tattoos.
I don't talk about the first cause its another example of KH3 being "nobody but the main trio gets to be cool"

Donald's Zetta flare was baller though.

Jun 21, 2018
Something I've been mulling for a bit, but if Xehanort's plan was to use the light of Kingdom Hearts to purge the world, then I'm confused about the first game. Terra-nort took his heart out to create Ansem SOD and Xemnas. Ansem SOD was sent back in time to teach time travel to young Xehanort and give him the super plan. Fast forward to final battle of KH1: Ansem SOD opens the door to darkness and asks Kingdom Hearts to fill him with darkness. Shouldn't he have known it was light since he was in on the plan?

Nightengale

On Extended Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
This is one of those things where it's clear that Nomura retconned aspects of KH1, where the Kingdom Hearts of KH1 wasn't a true KH or Ansem SoD were a participant of a grander master plan that involves time-traveling. Or how Ansem's guardian shadow thingy had no hint of being Terra.

And back when Keyblades were like, a super exclusive club.

The trio of coolness in KH3 are:

- Sora
- Replica Riku
- Lingering Will/Guardian Terra

Everyone else? Not really.
If I were making a "Winners and Losers of KH3" list I would also add

-Goofy, Donald, Ienzo, Saix, YX, Xigbar, Roxas, Vanitas, and Vexen under the winner's column.

KH3 actually does justice to a lot of characters it's just that the cast is so big now there are also a lot of characters it does a disservice to (Kairi, Xion, Lea, Aqua, Xemnas, MX)

Riku and Namine come out somewhere in the middle but overall I was pleased with their KH3 arcs.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished it. You guys weren't kidding about Kairi, holy shit. "This time I'll protect you." She then proceeds to not be able to even get her keyblade out when Terranort is fucking everyone up, gets yeeted out of her group fight, and then gets fridged.

I kind of stopped caring about the story at this point, and have accepted that it's kind of shit. (How the fuck did they bring Xion back?) Despite that, almost all of the big emotional reunions really worked for me, and I actually really liked the "Don't Think Twice" ending.

Donald just deleting Terranort was fucking awesome. Donald needs to just retire now. He's never topping that

Oct 25, 2017

-Goofy, Donald, Ienzo, Saix, YX, Xigbar, Roxas, Vanitas, and Vexen under the winner's column.

KH3 actually does justice to a lot of characters it's just that the cast is so big now there are also a lot of characters it does a disservice to (Kairi, Xion, Lea, Aqua, Xemnas, MX)

Riku and Namine come out somewhere in the middle but overall I was pleased with their KH3 arcs.
I agree with most of these, but Vanitas was kind of a punk ass through most of this. Dude got fucked up by Sully.

I really liked what they did with Ienzo and I was kind of liking what they were doing with Demyx also.

Also, Woody gets points in the cool column for telling YX that no one loves him

Nightengale

On Extended Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

Yeah, in general I would agree with a lot of the above. I'd put Nanime in the winner bracket too, but that's my bias talking. Her one scene with Sora at the Final World alone was pretty good for what it was.

Even though it's kinda creepy, I really loved Saix's arc in KH3 and it made me a believer in the friendship between him and Axel, which I was never quite sold on throughout the older games.

I know it doesn't make sense, but I can't shake the feeling we're not done with Young Xehanort. I'd be perfectly fine with it too. He's infinitely more charasmatic than MX.
See, I feel the same way. He's far too menacing when he phases away.

But, at the same time, the way the new chess match is set up in the epilogue with 7 pieces of darkness and seemingly one piece of light, it just seems that Luxu, the 5 Masters, and then MoM would be that main antagonists moving forward.

Nightengale

On Extended Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
See, I feel the same way. He's far too menacing when he phases away.

But, at the same time, the way the new chess match is set up in the epilogue with 7 pieces of darkness and seemingly one piece of light, it just seems that Luxu, the 5 Masters, and then MoM would be that main antagonists moving forward.
Only 4 of the 5 masters are accounted for at the moment, even though there's 7 black pieces.

Unless Ava is going to ultimately be part of the antagonist group despite not showing up, there'll probably be another Keyblade Master who'll succeed/inherit Ava's position among the Lost Masters.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, in general I would agree with a lot of the above. I'd put Nanime in the winner bracket too, but that's my bias talking. Her one scene with Sora at the Final World alone was pretty good for what it was.

Even though it's kinda creepy, I really loved Saix's arc in KH3 and it made me a believer in the friendship between him and Axel, which I was never quite sold on throughout the older games.
I have no memory of any scene with Namine. Did you have to find her floating star or something?

Also why did Donald’s (badass) fire spell kill him? Is this explained somewhere previously?

I actually agree on both points. I really liked Namine's scene in The Final World and this game made me a firm rider of the Isa hype train. This game made him a really interesting character and he deserves a keyblade. He might actually have the strongest heart in the series. Guy went through hell for over a decade and gave up his humanity twice while his best friend abandoned him to save a girl he met when he was 15. If that doesn't make you worthy I don't know what does.

Jan 14, 2019
So when Nomura mentioned that “the final world was something he’d been wanting to do since his FF days”, was he talking about The Final World or Scala?

Cos both were not as hyped as I imagined tbh.

Nov 9, 2017
Scala. What a letdown both were. Although I think I still preferred The Final World.

Edit:

I have no memory of any scene with Namine. Did you have to find her floating star or something?
Of course you don't have any memories. She erased them.

Now I'll get her to erase my memories of the whole game.

Oct 27, 2017
I need help understanding a plot point, who'da thunk it for a KH game right?

AnsemSoD, Xemnas and Co. are all time travelled hearts from the past put into replicas right? What time are they from? Post destruction in KH1 and 2 or some other point during the previous games? Do they know they have already been beaten and do they go back to that time once they die in KH3? (else how could the previous games have happened?)

I hate that they added time travel to this story as if it wasn't hard enough to follow