• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
So who was that ??? silver haired kid near the end that showed only once? Is he connected to The Worlds Ends WIth You or at please people think he is?!

The fact you say "So, a young Yozora?" makes me think you're actually talking about the kid in the Tornado of Heartless, and if so, that's that's Ephemer from Kingdom Hearts Union Cross.

Just in case that's who you mean lol

Otherwise, yes, Yozora from Verum Rex, and we don't know how he's a videogame in Toy Box and a real guy elsewhere.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact you say "So, a young Yozora?" makes me think you're talking about the kid in the Tornado of Heartless, yeah?

That's Ephemer from Kingdom Hearts Union Cross.
Yes, that kid. I beat the game and the Gummiphone still displays this kid as just "???"

Why not just tell me it's Ephemer? If he is this character why the mystery? I thought he had to be an entirely new character.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Yes, that kid. I beat the game and the Gummiphone still displays this kid as just "???"

Why not just tell me it's Ephemer? If he is this character why the mystery? I thought he had to be an entirely new character.

This is something I like to point to when people say that KH3 expects you to know Union Cross -- it doesn't. At all. If you know Union Cross, you're like "OH SHIT IT'S EPHEMER" but KH3 is clearly written with the intent of the Union Cross related stuff being mysterious to people who don't know Union Cross. Even the Luxu/Foretellers stuff is completely valid as "Who are these guys and how do they know Xigbar?"

"The mobile game is important!" is true, but not in a "if you haven't played it you're lost and they're never going to explain it!" way, it's important in a "If you played the mobile game you know where stuff is headed and get a different, but still surprising, reaction to stuff" way.

It's actually kinda cool that they're writing it in a way that works both to newcomers and megafans.

EDIT: Also, a reminder that the journal is written from Jiminy Cricket's perspective. The game cheats this with "The Boy in White" and "The Boy in Black", but for the most part, it works within the rule that Jiminy has to know for it to be in the journal.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is something I like to point to when people say that KH3 expects you to know Union Cross -- it doesn't. At all. If you know Union Cross, you're like "OH SHIT IT'S EPHEMER" but KH3 is clearly written with the intent of the Union Cross related stuff being mysterious to people who don't know Union Cross. Even the Luxu/Foretellers stuff is completely valid as "Who are these guys and how do they know Xigbar?"

"The mobile game is important!" is true, but not in a "if you haven't played it you're lost and they're never going to explain it!" way, it's important in a "If you played the mobile game you know where stuff is headed and get a different, but still surprising, reaction to stuff" way.

It's actually kinda cool that they're writing it in a way that works both to newcomers and megafans.

EDIT: Also, a reminder that the journal is written from Jiminy Cricket's perspective. The game cheats this with "The Boy in White" and "The Boy in Black", but for the most part, it works within the rule that Jiminy has to know for it to be in the journal.
Is this kid featured in the Union Cross movie that's included in KHII.8 Final Chapter Prologue?

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Just so you know, my best friend's favorite character has been Kairi since KH1 and she would likely tear into you for this.
I don't get how people get attached to nothing characters, but you're right, it happens. Like how people cared so much about Stella in Versus XIII, a game that never even existed outside of a few trailers.

And then uh, Luna in the final game had about the same amount of depth as Stella, so yeah... Nomura's consistent?

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure is, but I don't think anyone speaks his name aloud, so if that's all you had going in, you still wouldn't know it
So screw anyone for spending the hour it took to watch that movie. They'll make sure even those super fans are left confused even then.

God, this series is such a mess. I hope they clean up their act and streamline it at least a little. Less time traveling and doppelgängers plz.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Union X has a suprinsgly large cast thinking about it.

Wonder if Demyx and Luxord's somebodies will show up soon.

Rould? Meyd?

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just so you know, my best friend's favorite character has been Kairi since KH1 and she would likely tear into you for this.
Let her try, that doesn't change the fact that Kairi was useless garbage the entire series. Damsel Poot device at best, useless deadweight at worst.

If I was asked to point out Kairi from a crowd to someone who doesn't know her without talking about her physical appearance I don't think I could. I don't know anything about her personality. Zero.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
The correct reading of the series is actually that Kairi is like a sister to Sora that he has to rescue out of obligation, Riku is his real love interest because obviously and Donald and Goofy are his real best friends because those mother fuckers are actually always there to step up for him unlike the rest of this punk cast

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
So screw anyone for spending the hour it took to watch that movie. They'll make sure even those super fans are left confused even then.

God, this series is such a mess. I hope they clean up their act and streamline it at least a little. Less time traveling and doppelgängers plz.

Again, that's my point: The Union Cross stuff in KH3 is designed to be mysterious. You are supposed to be confused. No one knows where it's going yet.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
There are a lot of things in KH3 that you are not suppose to know.
Significance of Ephemer, who is the second star, the mysterious girl Axel and Saix talking about, what's in the box, What happens at the end with Kairi and Sora, the whole secret ending stuff, etc...
Of course people will guess and speculate and that's the whole point I feel.

Jan 25, 2019
Namine only mess with with memories when they're people connected to Sora. Why are her powers Sora-centric? It's because she was born from Sora's body same as Roxas.

But she doesn't have his body.

Maybe my biology class was off, but I think you need the genetic make up of both parents to be siblings with someone else. Something that Naminè lacks. The connection of what happened gave her a certain ability, sure, but that has nothing to do with the matter at hand since Naminè had formed her own body.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

My best friend went from LOVING Kairi to absolutely hating her because of how she was written in 3. I honestly think Nomura kinda dislikes her too, because he keeps putting her in situations where she's like "THIS TIME I'LL FIGHT" and then proceeds to do absolutely nothing/get owned/get kidnapped/get CUT IN HALF BY AN OLD MAN.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
My best friend went from LOVING Kairi to absolutely hating her because of how she was written in 3. I honestly think Nomura kinda dislikes her too, because he keeps putting her in situations where she's like "THIS TIME I'LL FIGHT" and then proceeds to do absolutely nothing/get owned/get kidnapped/get CUT IN HALF BY AN OLD MAN.

It's not Kairi he hates. He's just disinterested in her. It's Sora that he hates. Kairi is just the route that Nomura uses to torment Sora.

"I actually don't sympathize or empathize with Sora at all," Nomura says. Instead, he relates to the game's mysterious villains, Xehanort or likely Ansem, anyone who's fallen prey to their dark natures. "I think I'm closer to those characters, so Sora is like my enemy. How I always think of him is I would unleash my attacks on him, and then I draw him in a way that I think he will be able to make a comeback at me. In that sense, I really think that Sora is just like an opposite personality character to who I am."

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
But she doesn't have his body.

Maybe my biology class was off, but I think you need the genetic make up of both parents to be siblings with someone else. Something that Naminè lacks. The connection of what happened gave her a certain ability, sure, but that has nothing to do with the matter at hand since Naminè had formed her own body.

But it does mean that Sora was an influence on her. If Vanitas gets to call Sora brother then I think this is valid.

Also there is such a thing as surrogate moms though. : p

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get how people get attached to nothing characters, but you're right, it happens. Like how people cared so much about Stella in Versus XIII, a game that never even existed outside of a few trailers.

And then uh, Luna in the final game had about the same amount of depth as Stella, so yeah... Nomura's consistent?
Blame Tabata and his team for anything related to Luna. We have no idea what sort of character Stella would have been in the end.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's not Kairi he hates. He's just disinterested in her. It's Sora that he hates. Kairi is just the route that Nomura uses to torment Sora.

I think it's a bit of both, really. He goes out of his way to make Kairi bland and pointless, even when Sora isn't around.

"I spend all my time in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber writing letters to Sora that I'll never actually send, tee hee!"

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Kairi is a bland normal teenage girl. People want her to be more but she's not and never has been. Truly the most consistent character in the franchise.

Jan 25, 2019
But it does mean that Sora was an influence on her. If Vanitas gets to call Sora brother then I think this is valid.

Also there is such a thing as surrogate moms though. : p

That's not biological, so your entire argument is moot. All she got out of it was an ability. And Vanitas is Ven's darkness. Two different beings and situations.

I think you're reaching.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
ITT we forgot Naminé actually was the one that fucked up Sora and co since CoM. I'd rather be upset about Kairi ( that in the end, was actually saved by Sora who lost himself in the process) rather than Naminé.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kairi is a bland normal teenage girl. People want her to be more but she's not and never has been. Truly the most consistent character in the franchise.
Don't justify her terrible writing, development and character. We don't even see these kids' houses, schools, or even their parents. For all I know in KH babies are born because of strong-willed hearts and projected into a crib from someone's chest like a fucking Care Bear would. There is no such thing as "normal" in KH.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Don't justify her terrible writing, development and character. We don't even see these kids' houses, schools, or even their parents. For all I know in KH babies are born because of strong-willed hearts and projected into a crib from someone's chest like a fucking Care Bear would. There is no such thing as "normal" in KH.
They have parents and go to school. Kairi was living her normal life for the year between KH1 and 2 until her memories of Sora returned.

Unknown837

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the game and saw the secret movie. I guess Riku ended up in Verum Rex searching for Sora but I assume Sora's in TWEWY world and probably dead and being forced to play the Reaper's Game?

ChaserX

Nov 1, 2017
Miami, FL
Playing through the Org. XIII guantlet again makes me realize how intense it would be fighting Saix solo. Especially with Roxas being the only one who can successfully get an attack in while Saix goes Mega Berserk.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017

Except we do know they have parents and go to school. It's not important, but until the heart shenanigans started, all of them were normal kids and when Kairi lost her memories of Sora she was busy being a normal kid. She's the normal bland regular girl of the trio. She's not going to develop more than that. Which is probably why her best scenes in 3 seem to be just talking to Axel and not being on the battlefield.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the game and saw the secret movie. I guess Riku ended up in Verum Rex searching for Sora but I assume Sora's in TWEWY world and probably dead and being forced to play the Reaper's Game?
tumblr_inline_ns6v9uo4ZW1tqdw7q_1280.png

scooper

Jan 20, 2019
Yeah, putting it side by side like that really makes it clear how badly he was hurt when XV was taken away from him. He's mentioned many times over the years about falling into depression and being advised to get some pets for healing, which is why he's so attached to his cats now.
just googled them. shit, i'm attached to his cats too

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We see Sora's house and hear his mother in KH1, Riku mentions their parents, and Kairi is wearing a school outfit in KH2. It's not in your face about it, but the games do indicate that they lived like typical kids.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
She would have been no character, that's the point.
That's not the point.

Stella was a character with a personality and role that fit Versus XIII. She didn't work when the story was condensed and rewritten as FFXV. That was literally Tabata's stated reasoning. If she was truly a nothing character, they could have included her instead of swapping her out for someone else because her characterization wouldn't have mattered.

Also, LOL at you somehow judging the totality of a character we barely know about from an unreleased game that will never see the light of day.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
That's not the point.

Stella was a character with a personality and role that fit Versus XIII. She didn't work when the story was condensed and rewritten as FFXV. That was literally Tabata's stated reasoning. If she was truly a nothing character, they could have included her instead of swapping her out for someone else because her characterization wouldn't have mattered.

Also, LOL at you somehow judging the totality of a character we barely know about from an unreleased game that will never see the light of day.
Yeah I'm judging the totality of a character that doesn't exist

If you like Stella, congrats, you like a character you made up in your head because there's nothing about them to actually like other than their design. The idea that they needed a character to better suit XV makes no sense because Stella was literally just a CG model in a trailer who was replaced by Luna who had literally the equivalent depth

These are nothing characters

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm judging the totality of a character that doesn't exist

If you like Stella, congrats, you like a character you made up in your head because there's nothing about them to actually like other than their design. The idea that they needed a character to better suit XV makes no sense because Stella was literally just a CG model in a trailer who was replaced by Luna who had literally the equivalent depth

These are nothing characters
Nope.

Stella was specifically removed because she had a defined role in the story and lore of Versus XIII, but since she had been shown publicly, certain perceptions and expectations were already tied to her. Rather than rewrite Stella, they replaced her with another character that fit FFXV. Whether or not Stella was in fact a nothing character is immaterial because there was enough about her that didn't fit into FFXV to convince the writers to replace her with a different character.

It wasn't about swapping out Stella with Stella with a different name. It was about the character no longer fitting her role in the story because elements that were important regarding Stella either became downplayed or were removed when the story was rewritten.

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's baffling to me how they just dumped all of these organization 13 members together and killed them off in a series of 3v3 boss fights in the last hour of the game - especially since the Disney worlds leading up to this climax felt unrelated to the plot entirely.

Why not just sprinkle at least a few of them throughout the worlds and give them more focus? Its not like they didn't have their boss fight mechanics implemented or something. As result you practically feel like a janitor unceremoniously just closing up loose ends all at once by the third or forth back-to-back team fight.

What a wild design decision.

Yo so why is the scene with Vexen and Demyx the best scene in the entire series? Like everything about it feels sooo much better than any other cutscene. The voice direction is fantastic, the animations are expressive and remind me of actual Disney films, and its overall just a really charming scene. Everything else in the series feels so... average in comparison, minus a few standout scenes from the franchise. I don't know, maybe its just me.

I noticed that too. Really stood out

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
There's only one janitor, and that's Aqua having to clean up all of the shit Terra and Ven got up to in Birth by Sleep.