[UNMARKED SPOILERS] Kingdom Hearts III - Spoiler Thread

Nov 1, 2017
Characters can be Macguffins.

That being said, I fail to see the argument as to how Namine herself is a Macguffin in this game.
you fail to see how a character, who you can completely miss, whose only action is something that breaks continuity to save the heroes and only gets two scenes total in this game

is a maguffin.

OH FUCK ME!!!!

I just went through the Days movie. Nomura had the Xehanort vessels shit planned from at least Days onward.

Saix spells out that Xemnas has a secret agenda hidden from everyone else.

And there's this.

Xemnas: It only proves that the puppet is the more worthy vessel.
-

And then the camera does an aggressive zoom in on Xemnas' eyes to emphasize them after he says the word vessel.

Which parallels the other Norts in Birth By Sleep. (Also he looks a shit ton like Terra in this shot, it creeps me out)

When Terra becomes Terranort, it zooms in on his eyes:

When Braig comes back a Nort and Aqua asks " Who are you?", it zooms in on his eye.

Like this:

DDD:

Oct 27, 2017
you fail to see how a character, who you can completely miss, whose only action is something that breaks continuity to save the heroes and only gets two scenes total in this game

is a maguffin.
That's not what a macguffin is.

McGuffin
/məˈɡəfin/
noun
noun: MacGuffin
  1. an object or device in a movie or a book that serves merely as a trigger for the plot.
Namine is not a plot trigger. She's not the Maltese Falcon everyone pursues as a means to move the plot forward. She's a character encountered during the course of events who plays a minor role.

If you're going to throw Film Critique 101 terminology around, you might as well get it right.

Jan 25, 2019
Roxas and Xion make much more sense than Roxas and the girl who told him to go kill himself
Xion and Naminè literally had a convo in Days where they were in similar agreement that Roxas should go kill himself [eventually], lmao. In your bs words at least.

That's why I love Roxas. It seems that returning to Sora was painted as the just thing to do and "not feeling Sora yet" was the reason he hadn't decided that just choice. Instead, he flipped the middle finger and only returned when there was nothing left.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
That's not what a macguffin is.

McGuffin
/məˈɡəfin/
noun
noun: MacGuffin
  1. an object or device in a movie or a book that serves merely as a trigger for the plot.
Namine is not a plot trigger. She's not the Maltese Falcon everyone pursues as a means to move the plot forward. She's a character encountered during the course of events who plays a minor role.

If you're going to throw Film Critique 101 terminology around, you might as well get it right.
Fine correction. She's a plot device.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd definitely place Xion as the best female character.

Aqua is an interesting one though. I felt like she was a bit on the bland side in BBS, but 0.2 did wonders for her character. I'm not the biggest fan of 0.2's actual plot, but what it did with Aqua was genuinely really impressive considering how short the game is.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd definitely place Xion as the best female character.

Aqua is an interesting one though. I felt like she was a bit on the bland side in BBS, but 0.2 did wonders for her character. I'm not the biggest fan of 0.2's actual plot, but what it did with Aqua was genuinely really impressive considering how short the game is.
I've said this before, but going back to 0.2 after finishing KH3 really highlights how creepy and tragic the whole Mirror Aqua sequence is. It's a direct foreshadowing of what happens to her.

Man, fuck you. You know exactly what I meant cause I laid it out.

Being fucking obtuse.
You didn't lay anything out, though. You incorrectly called her a macguffin, I corrected you on that, then you doubled back to calling her a plot device without any argument.

Namine is a character whose appearance in Kingdom Hearts III is brief, which is unfortunate. All the more so for the fact that her biggest scene in the game can be easily missed. Though even that, strangely, works into her complaint that no one ever thinks about her, whether that was a conscious nod to her small presence in the game or not. Regardless, she has a presence, small as it is, and plays a role in the story. How time rewound and she was able to point Lingering Will in Xehanort's direction isn't explained, but that's more a fault of vague storytelling than anything specifically to do with Namine.

Last edited:
Xion lacks the screen time and general purpose beyond Days to ever be #1.

She has notable agency, but she clearly existed to die. WHich is fine, a lot of characters existed to die. Hell, Roxas existed to die.
While those are all true, Xion's more fleshed out compared to Aqua. Hell, she's more fleshed out than Terra is.

Motivation-wise, she's a more complex character than Aqua whose character solely revolves around Ventus and Terra until 0.2 adds a couple layers to her. It takes 2 games to actually give Aqua layers.

Xion has layers to begin with and has existential questions driving her first and foremost that clashes with her desire to be with her friends.

BBS Aqua is a girl scout and Xion is a good person in service to a bad cause that struggles on what the right thing to do is.