• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ebi

Oct 25, 2017
THANKYOU.gif.

Seriously it's maddening to me that so few people are noticing this considering we've had several games with Yoko's masterful work. Just look at the Youtube comments for Ishimoto's tracks! Nothing but praise. It's an insult to the beautiful tracks Yoko did compose for the game. And that sample is Ishimoto's signature btw, listen to some of the Type-0 tracks, urgh. No idea why he is in love with it.

I may make a topic on this down the line at some point (man so many of my posts are critical of KH3...it makes me sad lol).
I recognized Ishimoto's awful signature samples instantly when the first boss battle music started playing and it felt so out of place next to Shimomura's music. I'm in the same boat as you, wish they hadn't used him at all, most of his recent stuff sounds grating.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
UXRKrQI.gif

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I remember absolutely hating most of KH2's soundtrack when it initially released because the synth was worse than in KH1, and made the tracks sound like cheap MIDI instrumentation. That OST really wasn't done justice until 2.5.

I actually don't mind Ishimoto's contributions to the series (For a while, people weren't even aware he composed the Vanitas themes), but I think of the additional composers to come on board since Birth by Sleep, Sekito's work makes for a better compliment to Shimomura's style.

The Final boss theme is a disappointment though, yeah.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
So, are we going to have Kairi as the main character of KH4? Having her save Sora because of their heart connection and again leaving Riku at the wayside?

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
Disagree. Donald and Goofy were going to talk to him when Mickey stopped them so Sora could have a moment with Kairi. I think he faded right then, not that he was never there. Plus considering that he literally saved almost everyone there personally, it would be incredibly dissonant for them to be playing at the beach while Sora was lost. Fortunately, we have a KH3 novel that can confirm the ending.

So two things: first the secret ending has previously shown the end world not the starter. BBS has Keyblade Graveyard in The Gathering and Birth By Sleep, KH2 has The World that Never Was in Another Side, Another Story and Deep Dive. Second and this is just my pet theory, real life locations? Live action movies. Cinderella 2015, Alice in Wonderland 2010, Beauty and the Beast 2017, Aladdin 2019, Dumbo 2019, Lion King 2019, etc. Also? Marvel and Star Wars.
Tokyo could also be the hub world. Maybe Sora need to like travel to a new world each day for a week in this reaper game.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Yeah I wish Yoko did the entire soundtrack because Ishimoto does NOT cut it. Why did they get him to do the final boss of all things??? His violins are straight trash!

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I don't care much for the final boss theme (it's too much of a hodgepodge) but Ishimoto has some of the better tracks in the game.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna go against the grain and say I loved the final boss theme and all of the new music in general. In fact, it's some of my favorite music in the series.

Deleted member 29464

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It does feel like everyone is a bit negative about the game, or perhaps criticisms are being voiced more/people with negative experiences are louder.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure this is the place to ask, but my Omega Ship fight seems to be glitched. I have beat the 4 sub bosses 3 times now and nothing appears up top. How screwed am I?

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
It does feel like everyone is a bit negative about the game, or perhaps criticisms are being voiced more/people with negative experiences are louder.

KH3, unfortunately for me, is worse on the second playthrough. Gameplay is still solid but the optimism with which i went through the game is gone. Now all of the negatives are so blatant. Love the gameplay and series still but KH3 dialogue reads like it was written by the guy who the film The Room.

Deleted member 29464

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
KH3, unfortunately for me, is worse on the second playthrough. Gameplay is still solid but the optimism with which i went through the game is gone. Now all of the negatives are so blatant. Love the gameplay and series still but KH3 dialogue reads like it was written by the guy who the film The Room.
It seems about as poor as it as always has been for me so I just enjoy the ride in spite of that as always. I guess I'm surprised people weren't expecting what we got.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I've replayed (almost) every KH game/movie in the 1.5/2.5/2.8 set of games prior to KH3.

Maybe those games ended up shaping my expectation of how KH3 was gonna be, but KH3 was by and large what I expected it to be and even though I can jote down three dozen criticisms of the game ranging from combat design to writing, I'll pen those frustrations down another day when I feel like I can vocalise all the points in a detailed criticism towards SE and the KH team as improvement points for future games.

Having replayed the final arc a second time, did trophy hunting by exploring the KH3 worlds - the game, as flawed as it is, still gets to me. The culmination. The music. The spectacle. And when the story is unapologetic in its attempt to tug at your heartstrings, it works more often than not.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Terranort couldn't have been from the past though. The time travelling 'norts all eventually return to their time. Terra stops being the Guardian here though meaning that Terranort would go back and not have him anymore, which would change the timeline since Ansem obviously used the Guardian still.

That was how it worked in DDD. The replicas were made to get AROUND that restriction, though. They were designed to allow those hearts to stay in their time.

Credo

Oct 25, 2017
This is more of a series question instead of a KH3 question, but I don't know where else to ask it. Do we know how much time passes between each of the games? At the end of KH3, we see all the foretellers, who look the same as they do during Kingdom Hearts X and Union X. But I assumed there were many, many years between then and KH3. I can't seem to find any kind of timeline that does anything other than list the games in chronological order.

Oct 25, 2017
This is more of a series question instead of a KH3 question, but I don't know where else to ask it. Do we know how much time passes between each of the games? At the end of KH3, we see all the foretellers, who look the same as they do during Kingdom Hearts X and Union X. But I assumed there were many, many years between then and KH3. I can't seem to find any kind of timeline that does anything other than list the games in chronological order.

The Foretellers seem to have been pulled forward in time without an indication of exactly how long has passed. The same would be the case for Ven prior to BBS and the other characters from that era.

There's really no telling how much time passed between Back Cover/UX and BBS, but it's safe to say at least a couple hundred years, and probably more judging by the reports.

As far as the rest of the games go, 10 years between BBS and 1/0.2, a year between 1 and 2 while 358/2 Days happened, a few months between 2 and DDD tops, and then 3 pretty much right after that.

Oct 27, 2017

There's a timeline in the artbook that lists the time between union X and BBS as "a long time passes". I thinks it's assumed to be on the scale of hundreds if not thousands of years considering Daybreak Town has been flooded and Scala built on top of it by the time Eraqus and Xeahnort are apprentices.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That was how it worked in DDD. The replicas were made to get AROUND that restriction, though. They were designed to allow those hearts to stay in their time.

No, they all still have to go back to their times. The replicas are there so that they can have a physical presence since time travelling requires you to leave your body behind. They have had replicas in DDD too. The time travel works in a way where it remains a stable timeline where you don't change anything. It is predestined that all of their hearts return back to their origins so that the events of past games still play out the same.

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I love how a minor plot element in a GBA interquel almost assuredly conceived to allow for some kind of Riku boss fights in the game ballooned into a means of resurrection for characters long thought gone just in time for the closing of the series' main arc. This series is wild, lmao

Yeah I wish Yoko did the entire soundtrack because Ishimoto does NOT cut it. Why did they get him to do the final boss of all things??? His violins are straight trash!
I'm not inherently opposed to non Shimomura final boss themes; Sekito was responsible for the Dive Into the Heart arrangement used for 3D's final boss, and that was pretty decent. III's final boss track just kinda falls flat altogether.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So, are we going to have Kairi as the main character of KH4? Having her save Sora because of their heart connection and again leaving Riku at the wayside?

After all that talk about it being her turn to protect Sora you would think, but that would allow her to stand on her own and grow as a character so it's hard to imagine. If I'm reading the secret ending right she just sent Riku to do it instead.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
After all that talk about it being her turn to protect Sora you would think, but that would allow her to stand on her own and grow as a character so it's hard to imagine. If I'm reading the secret ending right she just sent Riku to do it instead.

I don't think I would want to play a game with Kairi as the main character. Not only does she have no personality and no fighting talent, but her KH3 redesign is aaaaaaaaaaawful.

There's literally nothing good about her, which is almost impressive if you think about it.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I would want to play a game with Kairi as the main character. Not only does she have no personality and no fighting talent, but her KH3 redesign is aaaaaaaaaaawful.

There's literally nothing good about her, which is almost impressive if you think about it.

I don't totally hate the new design but I definitely preferred KH2 Kairi.

I know what you mean but for some reason I always find myself rooting for her and wanting to give her a chance even though I continue to be disappointed lol.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't totally hate the new design but I definitely preferred KH2 Kairi.

I know what you mean but for some reason I always find myself rooting for her and wanting to give her a chance even though I continue to be disappointed lol.

It really bugs me how Sora and Riku got to age and yet Kairi somehow comes out of it looking even younger and more waifish than in KH2.

Credo

Oct 25, 2017
The Foretellers seem to have been pulled forward in time without an indication of exactly how long has passed. The same would be the case for Ven prior to BBS and the other characters from that era.

There's a timeline in the artbook that lists the time between union X and BBS as "a long time passes". I thinks it's assumed to be on the scale of hundreds if not thousands of years considering Daybreak Town has been flooded and Scala built on top of it by the time Eraqus and Xeahnort are apprentices.

Thanks for that. I should've known it'd be time-travel stuff. It's not like they're inhuman, so it makes sense they'd have normal lifespans, and time travel would be the only way for that to work.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

That doesn't mean they can't improve on everything you mentioned. But I have my doubts they will... it sucks

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
So, who is Axel and Saix friend? why the mystery?
Who is the girl in The Final World?
iirc some organization XIII member says Sora that inside him there is 4 hearts (Sora, Ventus, Roxas and?) or I'm crazy?