• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
How would you feel if the next game is another collection called Kingdom Hearts Remembreance, but it goes this way:

358/2 Days Remake
Re: Coded Remake
X & UX cutscenes (would be called Kingdom Hearts Episode Zero: X+Union X)

Nah to the first two, it's time to move on and not waste resources on remaking games. Especially since re:coded is already a full remake of a mobile game. Remaking it a second time seems excessive.
Putting X & UX cutscenes somewhere I'd be on board with because lol, I'm not gonna play that shit Nomura.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
szM54XR.gif

Oct 25, 2017
How would you feel if the next game is another collection called Kingdom Hearts Remembreance, but it goes this way:

358/2 Days Remake
Re: Coded Remake
X & UX cutscenes (would be called Kingdom Hearts Episode Zero: X+Union X)

?
since they seem hella bent on UX being the focus for next saga I would hope they remake it, be it a game or a movie otherwise come on no nomura

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's over with but losing Young Xehanort and Xemnas still really sucks. They were the best ones especially with those final words.
I can't help but laugh at how Young Xehanort's sendoff is the exact opposite of everyone else's. Just him gloating about how he's unstoppable.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I loved everything about the game, ending and secret ending included. Glad Sora isn't dead dead, and maybe just dead but having a chance of coming back. I'm also a huge TWEWY fan so anything in that world will make me happy. I'd love for Tokyo based KH happen sooner than 6 years from now though!

DarkJedi78

Oct 25, 2017
OH
One thing that made no sense was Maleficent and Pete. What was their purpose. We see the black box she was after in the epilogue. Are we to assume that Ava is Maleficent. Maybe that's a stretch.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I kinda wonder if a TWEWY port or sequel is planned for other consoles. Seeing people who played the HD version of DDD and the secret movie be less confused about that creation would be a boon to SE I think.

Knowing SE I wouldn't hold my breath, seeing how they handled KH on Xbox *shrug*

One thing that made no sense was Maleficent and Pete. What was their purpose. We see the black box she was after in the epilogue. Are we to assume that Ava is Maleficent. Maybe that's a stretch.

Tune in to KH4...Maleficent has been looking for the box since the distant past.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I can't help but laugh at how Young Xehanort's sendoff is the exact opposite of everyone else's. Just him gloating about how he's unstoppable.
Well, he knows that even if he loses, he's just gonna end up as MX and do this all again someday anyway. As far as he knows, he IS unstoppable.

He wasn't around to see himself beaten, though, so...

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I will have a good laugh is Riku ends up doing all the work to save Sora and Kairi is left on the island again while Axel has bounced to go hang with his better friends.

It was hilarious. I think they did a good job of showing all the Xehanorts having different personalities. I enjoyed them all better than actual Master Xehanort.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Right?

Ansem: "That's one hell of a journey we had, right? I knew I stood no chance against you..."
Xemnas: "First time in years I'm feeling stuff, and it's regret and loneliness..."
Young Xehanort:

fb0.jpg

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
The weird thing about Kairi is that I liked her just fine in her 2 cutscenes with Axel. She had spunk and personality. Maybe being around Sora is what makes her terrible.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Got all treasures, lucky emblems, got a level 5 bistro, and got the high score on all 7 flantastic minigames. Currently doing gummy missions so I can get the ultimate weapon then go finish up the battle challenges. After that I think it's just mini game clearing and synthesis for the plat.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Young Xehanort was referring to Sora's abuse of the power of waking again, bot specifically him losing to old man Xehanort. He knew Kairi would be killed in the end and Sora would dive again to save her

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
So disappointed with post game content... I waited over 13 years for kh2 to have more to do post game?

How does a ps2 game have more content?

This game looks and plays waaaaay too fucking well and smooth for me to NOT be able to do anything post game.

I can get to level 99, beat secret boss, get ultimate weapon and that's it...

I pray we get DLC or a final mix soon cause I need more. Dumb mini games and taking fucking photos do not count as post game content to me.
The only thing that KHII beats KHIII in is the number of extra bosses. And that's not the initial release, but the Final Mix version that came a year after the OG release (which was only released in Japan). Vanilla KHII had almost nothing to do and its worlds were much smaller and more straightforward with very little room for exploration. KHIII is a pretty content packed game with all the lucky emblems, shittons of treasure, gummiship areas with their own exploration & boss fights/missions, battle gates, mini-games, photo taking missions, crafting and the secret extra boss. All of this in addition to the worlds being far larger. Sure, not all of it is post-game content but unless you make a conscious, serious effort to do everything before finishing the main story, you ain't gonna be even half done with most of those prior to beating the game once.

At least they can address the "issue" with DLC instead of a Japan only Final Mix release that we only get 7 years later.

Sayers

Oct 28, 2017
I was actually pleasantly surprised by the ending. I was expecting a LOT more anime bullshit than we got.

That said, Master Xeanhort just kind of realizing he lost and then passing into the light with his childhood friend was some hot bullshit. Dude did a lot of terrible things to a lot of people that needs to be answered for.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They literally have all the models and assets now. There's no reason they shouldn't be just cranking these titles out at this point, especially if they elect to make smaller scale games with the secondary characters again as interquels.

I fully expect us to get a pretty solid stream of KH related games and content updates for III and beyond for a while now. There's no reason we shouldn't at this point.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
They literally have all the models and assets now. There's no reason they shouldn't be just cranking these titles out at this point, especially if they elect to make smaller scale games with the secondary characters again as interquels.

I fully expect us to get a pretty solid stream of KH related games and content updates for III and beyond for a while now. There's no reason we shouldn't at this point.

But they've done that?

2002: kh1
2004: kh com
2005: kh2
2008: coded
2009: 358/2
2010: bbs
2012: ddd
2015: unchained x
2017: 2.8
2019: kh3

We've never gone more then 3 years without significant new story content for kingdom hearts. Say what you will about unchained key, 0.2, and back cover, but there has been a lot of lore stuff between those 3 entries in the 7 years between ddd and 3.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

KHIII won't get a prolonged period of DLC. Nomura & Co at Osaka team want to move on to the next project (presumably KHIV) ASAP. They'll do some DLC of some not-small size but this won't become some GAAS(-like) title with consistent support for 2+ years.

And unless you want to play games with the exact same Disney movies & environments, a sequel or even interquels won't be quick projects in this day and age. Development at this visual quality is insanely time consuming even with some asset recycling, unless they continue having a huge team tied to only KH (which they probably won't).

Nov 19, 2017
I assume KH4 development probably won't start earnest until the FF7 is further along... Whenever that will be.

Assuming that will be a couple years I wouldn't mind them doing a remake of KH1 with the unreal engine. It's by far the mainline game the biggest in need of a gameplay update, and they could improve some of the more annoying stages like Monstro and Deep Jungle.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I assume KH4 development probably won't start earnest until the FF7 is further along... Whenever that will be.

Assuming that will be a couple years I wouldn't mind them doing a remake of KH1 with the unreal engine. It's by far the mainline game the biggest in need of a gameplay update, and they could improve some of the more annoying stages like Monstro and Deep Jungle.
Osaka Team can continue on to KHIV (or whatever their next (KH) project is) as soon as they've survived from KHIII's release and its post-release developments no matter what happens with FFVII Remake. They can get the project lifted off the ground just fine all by themselves, even if finishing it will require outsourcing and help from Tokyo. They have nothing to do with FFVIIR. It can have some company wide shiftable workforce tied to it as of now that might eventually participate in the next KH project but it's not like KHIV would need them right away.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

FF7R is BD1 whereas KH3 is SE Osaka.

Nov 19, 2017
Osaka Team can continue on to KHIV (or whatever their next (KH) project is) as soon as they've survived from KHIII's release and its post-release developments no matter what happens with FFVII Remake. They can get the project lifted off the ground just fine all by themselves, even if finishing it will require outsourcing and help from Tokyo. They have nothing to do with FFVIIR. It can have some company wide shiftable workforce tied to it as of now that might eventually participate in the next KH project but it's not like KHIV would need them right away.
FF7R is BD1 whereas KH3 is SE Osaka.
Sure, but Nomura is going to the director on both. I feel skeptical that he'll jump right back into developing two huge games at the same with how look it took KH3 and how long it's taking FF7 to release.

Even if he does, looking at usual time between mainline games, I would expect KH4 to not be out until at least 2023, and probably realistically late 2023 at that. They've already said they don't want to do a bunch of "in-between" entries, and remake of the first one would be a decent way to fill in the gap between 3 and 4. Also, I really, really would love to see it lol.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Looking at what was teased in the secret ending, Nomura's statement on not wanting to spend a lot of time of KH3 potential DLC/content and wants to start work on the next game makes a lot of sense tbh. He's finally able to make his Vs 13 trojan horse, and I highly doubt he wants that project to stall.

If I were a guessing man, I'd say that this is the next release cadence for KH content:

- KH3 Final Mix ( added bosses, cutscenes, and extra stuff )
- KH Union X Back-Cover ( a CG movie of sorts that does the same thing as X Backcover, but for Union X )
- KH4 ( Disney + Verum Rex + TWEWY2 )

Oct 25, 2017
There's also no reason why we should expect only SE Osaka to be working on Kingdom Hearts games (outside of UX). Multiple teams with different projects were common in the past, and I feel like the main reason we haven't gotten a non-Osaka game since Re:coded is because 3 pretty clearly had to be the next title, so there wasn't really any value in having another team make a small scale game when the story had already advanced as far as it could before 3.

We could certainly see another team working on a more mid-scale game while Osaka is wrapping up the DLC for 3 and gearing up for 4. Hell, given 3's sales and the series being stronger than ever, we could see plenty of that.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
Finished it last night, then went ahead and looked up the secret ending and reports. Oh man, just pump the anime bullshit and mysteries directly into my veins, Nomura. The foretellers mostly suck though, so I can't say I'm thrilled about having them be main characters again, but I loved the Luxu/Xigbar revelation and need to know what's in the damn box!

I have a few questions though:
1. What was up with the data-split in the Toy Box? It never got resolved or even addressed again.
2. Why did Young Xehanort tell Sora to find the hearts closest to his? It seemed like he was trying to help or something, but then... he wasn't.
3. I forget if it was Ansem SoD or Xemnas but one of them seemed interested in Subject X. Why?
4. Can someone explain the whole thing about Xehanort being a portal?

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but Nomura is going to the director on both. I feel skeptical that he'll jump right back into developing two huge games at the same with how look it took KH3 and how long it's taking FF7 to release.

Even if he does, looking at usual time between mainline games, I would expect KH4 to not be out until at least 2023, and probably realistically late 2023 at that. They've already said they don't want to do a bunch of "in-between" entries, and remake of the first one would be a decent way to fill in the gap between 3 and 4. Also, I really, really would love to see it lol.
He's co-director. Saying he's director makes it sound like he's there actively working on KH3 and giving it all his focus, but we know that's not the case. The dude works in Tokyo a couple hundred miles away from Osaka, and the development of KH3 seems to have consisted of Tai Yasue and game's producer speaking to him over video conference chats mostly. There's no reason at all to think FF7 Remake is going to delay the next Kingdom Hearts game. This is what Tai Yasue said on the development of KH3:
The development team is in Osaka, and Nomura-san didn't really do a lot of the detailed stuff, as he's really the sort of creative visionary. We communicate as much as we did previously, so our working relationship hasn't changed at all. We are speeding up things for development, obviously, on Kingdom Hearts 3 as we move along, but I don't think it has anything to do with Final Fantasy.
Nomura himself has also spoken about his video meetings with the KH guys etc. and how he feels like he's more in position now where he just tells them what to do, while they're the ones being aggressive about the franchise or whatever. Basically, nothing's holding up Kingdom Hearts right now really. It's a franchise handled by Osaka Team and Nomura is basically the creative force, but he's not actively involved in its development beyond a scenario/ideas standpoint. He's not there doing the work. It'd be more accurate to describe him as a creative director while Tai Yasue is the hands on director putting it all together and doing the stuff you'd normally imagine a director does.

KH3 has taken about 5 years to release, which isn't that long for a game like this, and while FF7 Remake is already in its fifth year (it began in 2014), they also apparently screwed up with that game with whatever happened with CC2. So that will be a setback that's certainly cost them some time. But if they turn around and release FF7 Remake in 2020, then it's pretty clear where Nomura's focusing most of his efforts since that's what he's supposedly actively working on.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I was actually pleasantly surprised by the ending. I was expecting a LOT more anime bullshit than we got.

That said, Master Xeanhort just kind of realizing he lost and then passing into the light with his childhood friend was some hot bullshit. Dude did a lot of terrible things to a lot of people that needs to be answered for.

Well, he died there. What more could there be done to him?

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Well, he died there. What more could there be done to him?

It's hard to tell whether or not if he chose to remain petty to the end, could he had survived had he possessed another vessel or was his heart basically at its last legs?

The framing of his death was through an acceptance of his defeat. ( even if he was barely able to hold on, but until Eraqus said checkmate, he still wanted to hold on )

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I just finished the game.
I don't know what to think. I loved the game, every single bit of it. However, the only think that I didn't like is that the story, while it resolved satisfactory, it was very rushed. In my opinion, I would have preferred to not have Disney worlds in order to give much more time to the rescue of the characters. I know that is not possible, but still was an amazing experience from start to finish.

About the epilogue and Union X. I suspect that the one traitor in the Dandelions, it's Luxu (probably Blaine).

Nomura NEEDS to remake Union X into a console game. Whether it could be a complete remake like he did with Chains of Memories, or just a port, but people NEED to get familiarized with this story, since is now confirmed it will be the future of the series.

The secret ending left me without understanding anything at all, but of course the same thing happened with KH1 and KH2 at the time.

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the game.
I don't know what to think. I loved the game, every single bit of it. However, the only think that I didn't like is that the story, while it resolved satisfactory, it was very rushed. In my opinion, I would have preferred to not have Disney worlds in order to give much more time to the rescue of the characters. I know that is not possible, but still was an amazing experience from start to finish.

About the epilogue and Union X. I suspect that the one traitor in the Dandelions, it's Luxu (probably Blaine).

Nomura NEEDS to remake Union X into a console game. Whether it could be a complete remake like he did with Chains of Memories, or just a port, but people NEED to get familiarized with this story, since is now confirmed it will be the future of the series.

The secret ending left me without understanding anything at all, but of course the same thing happened with KH1 and KH2 at the time.
For me the difference with those are they left me alil more hyped I guess. Like the awesome keyblade armor or the Action packed riku and Roxas tearing shit up. I guess this one hyped you up if you were into Twewy tho so can imagine ppl that love that game we're going wild when the 104 popped up(I had no idea that had any significance lol)

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I feel like a lot of people are taking the Org. 13 and Xehanort end cutscenes as attempts at "redeeming" the characters, and I don't think they're meant to be. It feels more like Sora being Sora and the Org accepting their deaths and the futility of their actions.

If I could have made one editorial change though, it'd have been to not have Xehanort smirking after he gives Sora the X-Blade. Other than that it read to me as him just feeling defeated and accepting his death.

ChaserX

Nov 1, 2017
Miami, FL
I feel like a lot of people are taking the Org. 13 and Xehanort end cutscenes as attempts at "redeeming" the characters, and I don't think they're meant to be. It feels more like Sora being Sora and the Org accepting their deaths and the futility of their actions.

If I could have made one editorial change though, it'd have been to not have Xehanort smirking after he gives Sora the X-Blade. Other than that it read to me as him just feeling defeated and accepting his death.
I think the smirking is just his default face that they didn't really animate. Like how Mickey usually has a smile on his face during neutral situations.

Oct 25, 2017

Idk about the organization members but I can clearly see why somebody would take the Xehanort scene as a redemption. Hell the fact he got to float off in the distance with his best friend was bad enough

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say that Saix, Luxord, Marluxia, and Larxene all got some amount, but there's legitimate reasons there. Saix has his deal the mysterious girl (and he was the traitor anyways), Luxord never seemed that bad to begin with, Marluxia says himself that he's regaining his identity (and assuming the nameless star is Strelitzia, she backs up the idea that he's not really himself), and Larxene's got the same issues as him.

ChaserX

Nov 1, 2017
Miami, FL
So a person can enter and escape from the following:

-Hearts
-Sleeping Worlds
-Digital Worlds
-Realm of Darkness
-Final World

Wonder what aspect of reality will Sora dive into and escape from next time.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say that Saix, Luxord, Marluxia, and Larxene all got some amount, but there's legitimate reasons there. Saix has his deal the mysterious girl (and he was the traitor anyways), Luxord never seemed that bad to begin with, Marluxia says himself that he's regaining his identity (and assuming the nameless star is Strelitzia, she backs up the idea that he's not really himself), and Larxene's got the same issues as him.

Yeah, and those are all characters who probably figure to be siding with the rest of the cast in the next arc (well, Isa explicitly already is by the end of the game), so I think it's pretty clear reasons there.

I'd say most of the rest got closure, but not necessarily redemption. Ansem and Xemnas both had great scenes kind of closing their arcs and bringing them to peace, but it's not like they were really redeemed or anything.

RippleField

Nov 13, 2017
I somewhat expect them to pull a DBZ with Xehonort, where the big bad of the previous arc becomes a neutered awkward friend who hangs out in the next arc, usually used as a quick way to demonstrate the relative power level of the new villain.

Also they brought back way too many main characters and completely freed them of all their pending predicaments for them to NOT give at least one group a spinoff game.

My theory about the Yozora ending is they got sent to a timeline where darkness never consumed the whole world, where there aren't many tiny worlds floating in space but it always stayed as one, so instead of jumping around having to worry about the "Order", different properties can coexist and crossover in a more MCU fashion, and as such the structure of KH4 will take a new form. You'll have a TWEWY area and a pseudo-FFXV area, and perhaps a bigger videogame crossover focus overall.

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, and those are all characters who probably figure to be siding with the rest of the cast in the next arc (well, Isa explicitly already is by the end of the game), so I think it's pretty clear reasons there.

I'd say most of the rest got closure, but not necessarily redemption. Ansem and Xemnas both had great scenes kind of closing their arcs and bringing them to peace, but it's not like they were really redeemed or anything.
Master x, got redemption thru his friend reminding him of his humanity or showing the errors if hus ways.

xemnas had no one to give him that. Ansem had riku, going as far as saying he is going to miss ansem. Young X. Was just an arrogant ass.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Truth be told I'm gonna miss Ansem and Xemnas the most. They were my favorite villains in the entire series. Though it is nice that they got one last chance to look at both the main characters and us as players and say goodbye. On the other hand I'm free of old man Xehanort and that is amazing. Also fuck everything, Young Xehanort grew on me hard over DDD and this game haha. I actually looked forward to his shit talking and I was really amused when his last goodbye was yet again more shit talking.