• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

scooper

Jan 20, 2019
I just finished the game, without ever been into KH. I did watch a 3 hour video to give me an idea of what I'm in for, which helped a lot. I think there's few things now I have questions about, but less than I thought there would be.

However, I have a big problem with Kairi. Has she always been this useless? Here I thought the trope has died, but hey, it's 2019 and I'm still seeing this bs being done? It's almost as if they were about to give her some purpose and actual power, just to be kidnapped and killed for the sake of character progression.

Also, are all the KH games this easy? It felt a bit like a faceroll. It got really frustrating at the end with Org XIII - 1min battle, 7min cutscene. I just wanted more of these cutscenes to be in game or some interaction, it just got a bit frustrating. :(
It makes very little sense to me why the game would be so easy, as the main target audience seems to be the hardcore fans of the franchise, so it's not like you're trying to sell it to kids who are into Disney, because let's be real - they'll most likely hate it.
ahhh a latecomer! :o can i ask you why is it you decided to start now? what was it that drew you in to the game?

i'm super interested in all the posts i've been seeing people make on reddit and other places about this being their first title and i always wanna ask what the draw was for them lol. i myself started with 2 so it kinda makes me feel like we're all one big cute club uwu

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Master Xehanort in KH3 is not the same character as in BBS and DDD. But I liked his expanded backstory: boy from the islands who gets abducted to a foreign world to train and become a keyblade master, but no matter how hard he tries it will be his rival friend who inherits the legacy because of his bloodline; and then his attraction to darkness is used as a way to bring back the MoM in an almost cult-like way by Luxu.

They should have kept that, but not retcon that the whole thing about Xehanort is that even if he was once a good person, his curiosity made him wander too deep into darkness and changed him to no return. He appreciated that darkness, so the "I discovered that darkness was a plague that had to be cleansed" stuff just isn't coherent.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking more on the Xehanort situation, I think we can say that Ansem SoD and Xemnas were distinct in personality, regrets, and goals despite being technically from the same guy. A lot of that probably has to be because of having part of Terra in them, especially for Xemnas but I find it interesting nonetheless.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
This is one of those things where it's clear that Nomura retconned aspects of KH1, where the Kingdom Hearts of KH1 wasn't a true KH or Ansem SoD were a participant of a grander master plan that involves time-traveling. Or how Ansem's guardian shadow thingy had no hint of being Terra.

And back when Keyblades were like, a super exclusive club.
Keyblades being retconned into something more normal was a good retcon compared to the others though. I mean when its obvious multiple people can wield one like Riku, it makes more sense for the actual Keyblade they can wield to be special. Sucks that they went nowhere with the Kingdom Keys and the actual χblade having a connection.
I know it doesn't make sense, but I can't shake the feeling we're not done with Young Xehanort. I'd be perfectly fine with it too. He's infinitely more charasmatic than MX.
Chess YX or Destiny Island YX? Cause I want Chess YX to come back, seems like a cool dude. Destiny Island YX is an asshole and deserves all the hate in the world.

Thinking more on the Xehanort situation, I think we can say that Ansem SoD and Xemnas were distinct in personality, regrets, and goals despite being technically from the same guy. A lot of that probably has to be because of having part of Terra in them, especially for Xemnas but I find it interesting nonetheless.
Well yeah. Xemnas grew his own heart as nobodies are confirmed to do so, and Ansem SoD got a human body and sentience despite being a heartless because he has Terra's heart. SoD is basically Terra but as a being of darkness, and further more he also gains additional feelings after becoming Dark Riku as well. Dude is a triple hearted bag of dicks.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
To be fair, she is the reason everyone was still tethered to the Realm of Light and how Sora was able to save everyone in the abyss.

This is one of those things where Nomura probably felt like it's sufficient enough a checkbox to say "ok, this showcases Kairi's strength, not as a warrior, but as Sora's beacon of light", but even if I accept that premise, the execution was really weak.

IMO, the best way to show that... was to make Kairi and Sora playable during the entire Final World + Lich sequence instead of just having Kairi appear at the end, and have Sora comment it was Kairi that sustained him during his Power of Waking power trip. Or have the Kairi killing sequence happen because Kairi shielded Sora from a fatal attack from MX or something.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Chess YX or Destiny Island YX? Cause I want Chess YX to come back, seems like a cool dude. Destiny Island YX is an asshole and deserves all the hate in the world.

Well yeah. Xemnas grew his own heart as nobodies are confirmed to do so, and Ansem SoD got a human body and sentience despite being a heartless because he has Terra's heart. SoD is basically Terra but as a being of darkness, and further more he also gains additional feelings after becoming Dark Riku as well. Dude is a triple hearted bag of dicks.

I would take both Chess YX and Destiny Island YX back. Destiny Island YX is a douchebag which is why I like him.

Also that kinda stuff actually makes me feel bad about Ansem SoD and Xemnas being gone. Like yeah they were bad guys but still kinda of a tragic situation.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is one of those things where Nomura probably felt like it's sufficient enough a checkbox to say "ok, this showcases Kairi's strength, not as a warrior, but as Sora's beacon of light", but even if I accept that premise, the execution was really weak.

IMO, the best way to show that... was to make Kairi and Sora playable during the entire Final World + Lich sequence instead of just having Kairi appear at the end, and have Sora comment it was Kairi that sustained him during his Power of Waking power trip. Or have the Kairi killing sequence happen because Kairi shielded Sora from a fatal attack from MX or something.
Yeah, I agree. I'm just saying she did at least do one thing before getting damsel'd and fridged.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I need help understanding a plot point, who'da thunk it for a KH game right?

AnsemSoD, Xemnas and Co. are all time travelled hearts from the past put into replicas right? What time are they from? Post destruction in KH1 and 2 or some other point during the previous games? Do they know they have already been beaten and do they go back to that time once they die in KH3? (else how could the previous games have happened?)

I hate that they added time travel to this story as if it wasn't hard enough to follow
The time travellers will forget everything they experience in the future and go back to the past.

The time travel is just a way to have a few forms of Xehanort appear temporarily for the finale. There isn't all that much more to it.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
So when is the latest Ultimania releasing?
Also do you think Nomura will talk about DLC in the Ultimania?
Last but not least, come on SE give us the god damn OST!

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I agree he wasn't good, but he wasn't bad either, he had twisted morals, just like Thanos. His view of the world was completely distorted. But I believe that to him, this was all just a game between him and Eraqus, one he lost in the end.

He was a fucking Psychopath.

Only Eraqus forgives him because Eraqus is Luke Skywalker

Oct 25, 2017
Xehanort isn't redeemed; we just get an understanding of what made him set his plan into motion. It doesn't change anything that he did.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Problem is how they frame his exit, he gets a force ghost moment for absolutely no reason. He's given a heroic death even though he's done nothing to earn it.

It's not really a heroic death as much as a pitiful old man desperately trying to tell a bunch of kids that he can make total omnicide work until his friend is like "nah dude, you lost, give it up" and he takes the L as graciously as he can.

The force ghost moment is more a reflection of who he used to be.

Oct 25, 2017
Given that there wasn't anything of the sort online yet, I decided to doup a spreadsheet/list of places to go to farm Stat Boost items (Strength/Defence/Magic/AP).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IDFEqPlHLAC3iU0J7Ifiu749iPz2BHXZ6geNldPUj2I/edit?usp=sharing

Detailed stats are there, but essentially all you need to know:

Arendelle:
Frost Dragons
Large Body
Battlegate 9

Toy Box:
Battlegate 4
Battlegate 5

Carribean:
Battlegate 10

Corona:
Battlegate 6

Monstropolis:
Turtletoad

San Fransokyo:
Battlegate 12

Optimized as best I can, you only need to go to 6 worlds and grind these spots for your Stat boosters. (Also, Battlegate 9 is like, the best XP Grinding spot in the game, once you have Ultima Weapon!)

Good luck!

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Master Xehanort in KH3 is not the same character as in BBS and DDD. But I liked his expanded backstory: boy from the islands who gets abducted to a foreign world to train and become a keyblade master, but no matter how hard he tries it will be his rival friend who inherits the legacy because of his bloodline; and then his attraction to darkness is used as a way to bring back the MoM in an almost cult-like way by Luxu.

They should have kept that, but not retcon that the whole thing about Xehanort is that even if he was once a good person, his curiosity made him wander too deep into darkness and changed him to no return. He appreciated that darkness, so the "I discovered that darkness was a plague that had to be cleansed" stuff just isn't coherent.
Totally agree with this. He went 180 on this. In BBS and DDD he was like "darkness is good and is power" and in 3 he is like "people are weak, they draw darkness to the world, this is bad so I need to destroy the world, recreate it and lead it to banish darkness". He gives no hint he wanted to do this, it came out of nowhere.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
It's not really a heroic death as much as a pitiful old man desperately trying to tell a bunch of kids that he can make total omnicide work until his friend is like "nah dude, you lost, give it up" and he takes the L as graciously as he can.

The force ghost moment is more a reflection of who he used to be.
They say that, but my issue is how it's portrayed. He flies up to heart heaven alongside Eraqus like a good dude. Regardless of what the dialogue is, he gets a moment where he looks like a good guy when the other darknesses faded away in a much different way.

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
I just noticed that the thing about Sora's potential hurting hasn't been brought up properly.
A huge part of Coded was about that Sora might have to face a huge amount of hurting (by experiencing the suffering of all these that are connected to him). This was briefly mentioned in Twillight Town but afterwards nothing came out of this. Or did I miss something?
After Coded I expected that the hearts and connections inside of Sora will be awakened and he then will experience an overload of suffering.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They say that, but my issue is how it's portrayed. He flies up to heart heaven alongside Eraqus like a good dude. Regardless of what the dialogue is, he gets a moment where he looks like a good guy when the other darknesses faded away in a much different way.

Everyone's heart rises up to Kingdom Hearts when they die. Even villains. The difference is that none of the other characters who died actually DIED. Nobodies just disappear when they're defeated because they don't technically have hearts in the normal sense of the word.

catberry

Oct 31, 2017
London
ahhh a latecomer! :o can i ask you why is it you decided to start now? what was it that drew you in to the game?

i'm super interested in all the posts i've been seeing people make on reddit and other places about this being their first title and i always wanna ask what the draw was for them lol. i myself started with 2 so it kinda makes me feel like we're all one big cute club uwu

I've always been interested in KH as a franchise, but never really invested the time, so KH3 coming out seemed like the best time to do just that. I've played some of the games, but never finished them or invested myself in the story before, this time around I decided it's time to go all in.
I am a big FF fan and am into Disney/Pixar films, so it seemed like a natural thing for me to like, but now... I'm not so sure to be honest.

I was really put off by the treatment of female characters in the game and how it's overly complicated. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a complex story with time travel, doppelgangers, different worlds and all that. I'm all in for that, but the way KH3 dialogue was written felt like they were purposefully trying to make it seem even more complex than it is. A lot of time was spent explaining simple concepts like love and the power of friendship, while things like someone travelling back in time or someone being possessed or whatever was summed up in a single sentence using as many complex words as they could muster in there. It's just trying too hard a little at times. That's how I felt like anyway. There's many ways to convey a complex story in a simple way and none of them have been used here. More time was spent explaining simple things rather than the complex ones.

Also there's a big difference between characters. Some characters have fantastic arcs, stories, personalities and progression, while others are basically Kairi. Also wish we would've seen more of the other characters, I felt like this game was all about Sora, when some of the other characters are really interesting too, I would've liked to see more of them or played more as them. Also less cinematics, more gameplay, but that's really personal.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Everyone's heart rises up to Kingdom Hearts when they die. Even villains. The difference is that none of the other characters who died actually DIED. Nobodies just disappear when they're defeated because they don't technically have hearts in the normal sense of the word.
Right, I get that.

But it's still a bad scene because it acts to absolve him in the framing. He explains his stance, it's bad, he shouldn't be redeemed. But then he just floats away with his buddy.

My issue remains that the other bad guys weren't given such peaceful outs. Xehanort might be the only one actually dead now, but when the fight ends it doesn't seem like he's struggling or hurt or in the process of painfully fading away. He gets to fly away because of rules that Nomura's making up on the fly so it's not like he couldn't have written in some version of KH hell either, since that's way more fitting for him.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Right, I get that.

But it's still a bad scene because it acts to absolve him in the framing. He explains his stance, it's bad, he shouldn't be redeemed. But then he just floats away with his buddy.

My issue remains that the other bad guys weren't given such peaceful outs. Xehanort might be the only one actually dead now, but when the fight ends it doesn't seem like he's struggling or hurt or in the process of painfully fading away. He gets to fly away because of rules that Nomura's making up on the fly so it's not like he couldn't have written in some version of KH hell either, since that's way more fitting for him.
Well, everyone (except Xigbar) was redeemed. Marluxia was, Larxene was, Saix was, every single character got redeemed.
Sora's journey was never about revenge, but about saving people. He succeeded in doing it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Right, I get that.

He's struggling a lot, though. That whole scene is meant to make him look pitiful and pathetic. Also, it's not like Eraqus is a hero - the two of them are pathetic old failures who acknowledge their faults and move on together.

Remember, Japan doesn't really believe in Hell in the same sense we do. Cosmology-wise, Kingdom Hearts isn't heaven or hell, it's just Where Hearts Go.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Well, everyone (except Xigbar) was redeemed. Marluxia was, Larxene was, Saix was, every single character got redeemed.
Sora's journey was never about revenge, but about saving people. He succeeded in doing it.
Sure, but they still had to fade out and at least looked defeated in the process. They did bad thing, got bad reward. The text says they'll be better because of it, but I at least had the satisfaction of their defeats in all of it.
He's struggling a lot, though. That whole scene is meant to make him look pitiful and pathetic. Also, it's not like Eraqus is a hero - the two of them are pathetic old failures who acknowledge their faults and move on together.

Remember, Japan doesn't really believe in Hell in the same sense we do. Cosmology-wise, Kingdom Hearts isn't heaven or hell, it's just Where Hearts Go.
Mental anguish doesn't translate when the writing is as haphazard as it in in this series. Hell, he basically had a smirk on his face when he handed the Chiblade over to Sora and that just felt worse.

Cosmology is also something they make up on the fly - remember that this is the same series that has explicitly featured an Underworld and put Final Fantasy characters in it. It's not like the concept is totally foreign to them.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I don't think we're supposed to interpret his smirk as him being smug, but rather more of a congratulatory smile. Remembering the good old days of his youth, and having been defeated, he smiled and basically admitted defeat gracefully and congratulates the ones who defeated him.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I don't think we're supposed to interpret his smirk as him being smug, but rather more of a congratulatory smile. Remembering the good old days of his youth, and having been defeated, he smiled and basically admitted defeat gracefully and congratulates the ones who defeated him.
But we can at least agree that this is not a satisfying ending for literally the worst guy?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Mental anguish doesn't translate when the writing is as haphazard as it in in this series. Hell, he basically had a smirk on his face when he handed the Chiblade over to Sora and that just felt worse.

Cosmology is also something they make up on the fly - remember that this is the same series that has explicitly featured an Underworld and put Final Fantasy characters in it. It's not like the concept is totally foreign to them.

I mean, we're asking Japanese people to adhere to a specifically Christian ideal of an afterlife in a mythology they're coming up with. Heaven and Hell are not an omni-concept. Yes, Olympus has an Underworld but that doesn't mean every world functions the same way or that the universe itself functions that way at large.

And like Night said, MX very clearly told Sora "well done" and handed the blade over gracefully. He's just not very good at smiling because he has Villain Face.

Larxene was totally happy. Vanitas was never meant to be, he was simply emotions, YX went back to his time. They were not punished.

Larxene was just happy she didn't get overwritten by a gross, veiny-headed old guy, that doesn't mean she was redeemed. Vanitas was punished by dying, and YX was punished by the fact that he has to live through his whole life and lose the exact same way his future self does.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Larxene was totally happy. Vanitas was never meant to be, he was simply emotions, YX went back to his time. They were not punished.
None of those are redemptions

Their world views and actions did not change, nor did they cheer the heroes on in their dying breaths.

All 3 were literally, "Fuck you, hope you eat shit loser."

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I mean, we're asking Japanese people to adhere to a specifically Christian ideal of an afterlife in a mythology they're coming up with. Heaven and Hell are not an omni-concept. Yes, Olympus has an Underworld but that doesn't mean every world functions the same way or that the universe itself functions that way at large.

And like Night said, MX very clearly told Sora "well done" and handed the blade over gracefully. He's just not very good at smiling because he has Villain Face.
You're getting a little too hung up on one point, and also forgetting that this is STILL a global franchise that needs to try expressing a concept like the big bad's defeat being the right thing. Instead he got an opportunity to act like the bigger man despite effectively committing genocide on the universe.

My only point in all this is that the framing of his final scene was bad, because the editing and everything going on around it didn't look like Xehanort was bad. He fades into light like the Good Guys do when we've seen much worse deaths on screen already.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I liked how Vanitas was all "I chose the darkness. I like darkness," before he died and Ventus was like "alright you do you man" while Sora was like "WTF NO." lol

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You're getting a little too hung up on one point, and also forgetting that this is STILL a global franchise that needs to try expressing a concept like the big bad's defeat.

My only point in all this is that the framing of his final scene was bad, because the editing and everything going on around it didn't look like Xehanort was bad. He fades into light like the Good Guys do when we've seen much worse deaths on screen already.

We also haven't really SEEN people actually die on screen though. Almost every death in the series up to this point is either a Nobody dissipating (because they don't exist) or a Heartless poofing and releasing its heart up to Kingdom Hearts. Or OG Ansem being literally eradicated by a wave of light.

Vanitas dissolved into darkness because that's literally all he's made of. Giving X the same death wouldn't make sense because X is still human.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro

Larxene was just happy she didn't get overwritten by a gross, veiny-headed old guy, that doesn't mean she was redeemed. Vanitas was punished by dying, and YX was punished by the fact that he has to live through his whole life and lose the exact same way his future self does.
How can YX receive this as punishment if he'll remember nothing about it?

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I even believe that she is the girl mentioned in the game and the third heart inside Sora.
Nah, that was Xion. There was an old heart, Ventus, then Roxas', and another that's been in Sora for around the same time as Roxas'. That's Xion's since she went back to Sora around the time Roxas went back too. Which begs the question... how did the Organization get their hands on Xion's heart? I've seen the wiki's explanation and some other places, but I disagree that Xion's heart only returned when Sora called her out since she was suffering a bit before that and tried to protect Axel.

I do wonder if Strelitzia (if she really is the nameless star) will return to life somehow... It would defeat the purpose of The Final World somewhat if all the named (eventually, for her case) characters we meet their return. I find it hard to imagine for her to not play a significant role going forward, though, so... I guess I should expect it to happen.
I just finished the game, without ever been into KH. I did watch a 3 hour video to give me an idea of what I'm in for, which helped a lot. I think there's few things now I have questions about, but less than I thought there would be.

However, I have a big problem with Kairi. Has she always been this useless? Here I thought the trope has died, but hey, it's 2019 and I'm still seeing this bs being done? It's almost as if they were about to give her some purpose and actual power, just to be kidnapped and killed for the sake of character progression.

Also, are all the KH games this easy? It felt a bit like a faceroll. It got really frustrating at the end with Org XIII - 1min battle, 7min cutscene. I just wanted more of these cutscenes to be in game or some interaction, it just got a bit frustrating. :(
It makes very little sense to me why the game would be so easy, as the main target audience seems to be the hardcore fans of the franchise, so it's not like you're trying to sell it to kids who are into Disney, because let's be real - they'll most likely hate it.
Oh! I was just wondering how newcomers felt about the game since I hadn't seen any yet. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it and understood it for the most part, it seems? Sadly though, yeah... Kairi. I had such high hopes for the character and was really hoping we'd get to play her and kick Heartless butt with her but Nomura said otherwise. All this buildup since Kingdom Hearts II amounted to mostly nothing in terms of her combat prowess. As much as I love this game, there are quite a bit of disappointing things that happened with the characters with many of them falling short of what I would expect of them. All three Keyblade Masters were defeated fairly throughout the story, for example.

Seriously, it really bugs me that Aqua just took that Firaga at face value like that. She blocks with Barrier, for Pete's sake.

Kingdom Hearts III is the easiest game in the entire series, by far. Which is very disappointing indeed because as you said, fans have been waiting for this conclusion for a very long time now so it would have been great if it was a satisfying challenge as well. I didn't die once (by the time I finished the story, at least) on Proud and I generally suck at Kingdom Hearts combat, so that's saying something.
Larxene was just glad she didn't end up becoming Xehanort's vessel. Vanitas is coalesced darkness from Ven's heart and can't really be redeemed cause there isn't even the tiniest fraction of good in him. Returning to your time or wherever you're from is... just that. That doesn't change anything about a person or make them grow in any way. None of these fall under the definition of redemption.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
None of those are redemptions

Their world views and actions did not change, nor did they cheer the heroes on in their dying breaths.

All 3 were literally, "Fuck you, hope you eat shit loser."

I'd say Larx was kind off redeemed, but still a bitch to Sora. Albeit it felt like she was being a tease to him

YX was a "Eat shit, you just doomed yourself and I'll just go chill on my time" for sure

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
We also haven't really SEEN people actually die on screen though. Almost every death in the series up to this point is either a Nobody dissipating (because they don't exist) or a Heartless poofing and releasing its heart up to Kingdom Hearts.

Vanitas dissolved into darkness because that's literally all he's made of. Giving X the same death wouldn't make sense because X is still human.
Mother Gothel was basically portrayed as a parallel of Xehanort in Corona, a darkness trying to preserve the light by doing the worst thing possible. Even though she doesn't die on screen, she struggles long enough for us to see the demise of a bad guy. Marluxia swoops in at the last moment to give us something to fight, but that's the ending that Xehanort deserved. For a series that leans so much on Disney iconography and themes, up to the point of including those exact scenes in-game, it's fair game to expect more of him.

The nobody thing has also stopped making sense because we've basically retconned the whole "not existing" thing as being Xehanort manipulating them since we know they can keep existing regardless, i.e. another Bad Thing. Nomura flies by the seat of his pants with his world building and changes it on a moment's notice, like before.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Mother Gothel was basically portrayed as a parallel of Xehanort in Corona, a darkness trying to preserve the light by doing the worst thing possible. Even though she doesn't die on screen, she struggles long enough for us to see the demise of a bad guy. Marluxia swoops in at the last moment to give us something to fight, but that's the ending that Xehanort deserved. For a series that leans so much on Disney iconography and themes, up to the point of including those exact scenes in-game, it's fair game to expect more of him.

The nobody thing has also stopped making sense because we've basically retconned the whole "not existing" thing as being Xehanort manipulating them since we know they can keep existing regardless, i.e. another Bad Thing. Nomura flies by the seat of his pants with his world building and changes it on a moment's notice, like before.

I just don't think we needed another "AAAAGHHHHHH DARKNESSSSSSSS" death. Showing this endless manipulator pathetically, impotently trying to insist his schemes will still work even though he has no proof his plan WILL actually generate the world he wants to make as his body expires is way more interesting.

I would've been fine with the two old men just turning into hearts and rising to Kingdom Hearts without the shot of them as kids, but I guess Nomura really wanted to show that duality. Oh well.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
He's dead. Do you want to see him burn in Disney Hell?
I just wanted the scene to properly showcase that he was a bad dude with a deserved end. The whole scene could've played out exactly the same and just had him fading into darkness and I would've been more satisfied.

Like I said, the dialogue supports that he needed to fade away, but the framing of the scene makes it look like he's in control of the whole thing and he made the decision to be a good guy - not that Sora and company actually won in the end.

I'm not arguing that I need to see him suffer, I just want the scene to give more power to Sora and company. They won, but it's Xehanort who seems to get the good end.