• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I hate Thantos too. I know we were never going to get a simple story and a simple ending, it just isn't going to happen with Nomura at the helm. I just wish he'd let character arcs end instead of the constant "but before they were X they were..."

I just can't stop drawing the comparisons to Disney, because they're there by design. MX didn't need to be a 5D chess master... we could've just picked up his story in 3 without the additional baggage. The juxtaposition will always feel off, and it just doesn't have to be.

Sometimes I wonder if the games people keep calling spin-offs would be better if they actually were. Imagine if DDD didn't feature anyone we already know and was a completely separate story with its own new protagonist.

There was no more story to tell after 2, though. Everything was kinda already wrapped up but people wanted a trilogy.

malyse

Community Resetter
Not necessarily? Would still be MX as the bad guy, would still have us saving Aqua, Ven and Terra. Just wouldn't need to involve more returning characters, random callbacks from Unchained and wouldn't have the arbitrary stuff that they made up to explain some of the asspulls from other games. Not having 0.2 doesn't really change anything other than us still not knowing why Mickey was half naked at the time.

But I know that's not reality. I've spent like two pages saying I accept Nomura's writing for what it is, I just wish it were better.
You posited that the spin-offs be separate. Without BBS there's no Aqua Ventus Terra to save in the first place. We also don't have Master Xehanort.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
There was no more story to tell after 2, though. Everything was kinda already wrapped up but people wanted a trilogy.
You posited that the spin-offs be separate. Without BBS there's no Aqua Ventus Terra to save in the first place. We also don't have Master Xehanort.
We could've had BBS without some of its more far-reaching implications. It works just fine as a self-contained story, and it still leaves something for Sora to do in this hypothetical world where 2 ended gracefully. Save Aqua, save Ventus, work together to save Terra, take down MX.

It would've saved us from some of the weirder nonsense like the "true organization," time travel, the data and sleeping worlds, and the arbitrary 7/13 split, and given Master Xehanort more screentime rather than just being the man behind the man.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
We could've had BBS without some of its more far-reaching implications. It works just fine as a self-contained story, and it still leaves something for Sora to do in this hypothetical world where 2 ended gracefully. Save Aqua, save Ventus, work together to save Terra.

It would've saved us from some of the weirder nonsense like the "true organization," time travel, the data and sleeping worlds, and the arbitrary 7/13 split, and given Master Xehanort more screentime rather than just being the man behind the man.

This makes no sense. 2 ended with finality and most of the bullshit you're talking about was added SPECIFICALLY by DDD.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
This makes no sense. 2 ended with finality and most of the bullshit you're talking about was added SPECIFICALLY by DDD.
Right, 2 would be done and we wouldn't have to dredge up anything from it. BBS could still exist and we could deal with the implications of it without having to dredge up anything from DDD.

I think you're agreeing with me more on this than you're not?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Right, 2 would be done and we wouldn't have to dredge up anything from it. BBS could still exist and we could deal with the implications of it without having to dredge up anything from DDD.

I think you're agreeing with me more on this than you're not?

No, I'm confused. I don't understand what you're saying. I would rather we live in a world where DDD didn't exist at all but BBS isn't really a problem.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
No, I'm confused. I don't understand what you're saying. I would rather we live in a world where DDD didn't exist at all but BBS isn't really a problem.
At this point I've kinda lost the plot and I'm just rambling about a world that could've been, but I'm agreeing with you. BBS is totally fine, and could've been a setup for 3 on its own - none of the other games were really all that necessary for Sora to go on a quest to save TAV and pit him against MX.

DDD needlessly complicated things and there was no reason why it couldn't have just been its own self-contained entry.

malyse

Community Resetter
Killing people seems bad universally lol. But no one really stays dead in KH anyway lol.
Scar has a ghost. And Eraqus didn't actually come back.
DDD needlessly complicated things and there was no reason why it couldn't have just been its own self-contained entry
What does that even mean? What is a self contained 3D? The story relies entirely on connecting games. Personally, I'd rather a KH3 that integrates 0.2 and 3D, because KH3 is very much the final act of those two.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
What does that even mean? What is a self contained 3D? The story relies entirely on connecting games. Personally, I'd rather a KH3 that integrates 0.2 and 3D, because KH3 is very much the final act of those two.
Let me rephrase - there was no reason why 3D actually had to exist because there was enough of a buildup from BBS for a hypothetical followup KH3. They could've still made a 3D but used it as an opportunity to introduce new characters that don't have anything to do with Sora's story because as it stands, it just made a mess of things that they had to work harder to clean up for 3.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind DDD, but I really done like the time travel aspect. I think it makes things overtly convoluted just bring back characters that didn't need to be brought back. 13 evils vs 7 lights is fine, but I would have preferred new characters instead of Ansem/Xemnas. Were there any completely new original characters in KH3?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Let me rephrase - there was no reason why 3D actually had to exist because there was enough of a buildup from BBS for a hypothetical followup KH3. They could've still made a 3D but used it as an opportunity to introduce new characters that don't have anything to do with Sora's story because as it stands, it just made a mess of things that they had to work harder to clean up for 3.

If they made people buy 3D and then it wasn't relevant at all to 3 fans would be super pissed.

Like I said, the universe would be better if there was no 3DS KH game, but since we have one, it had to be plot relevant.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I thought all 356, Re:Coded, and BBS were specifically building up to DDD?

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
If they made people buy 3D and then it wasn't relevant at all to 3 fans would be super pissed.

Like I said, the universe would be better if there was no 3DS KH game, but since we have one, it had to be plot relevant.
And this is going to be my point of contention - we could've had a separate storyline running on Nintendo stuff so that we weren't constantly jumping platforms for these games. I don't think it would be awful to just let it exist on its own and I doubt the fanbase would've much cared, but we don't live in that universe so we'll never know.
I thought all 356, Re:Coded, and BBS were specifically building up to DDD?
BBS was filling out the universe and was establishing a new big bad. Days and Re:Coded weren't really building up to anything either, just explaining how he would've come back. It was 3D that kinda screwed the pooch by adding in time travel and really mucking up everything.

We could've actually had a 3 where 0.2 was the opening act and Sora sets off on a quest to rescue TAV after hearing about it, instead of the plot cul-de-sac of the Power of Waking.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Those three games were all building up to 3 and we definitely could've had 3 without the dumb bullshit introduced by DDD.

DDD just exists to justify the time travel and explain why Sora got metroid'd.
But I'm talking about Nomura's perspective. He mentioned this once in an interview I believe.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
But I'm talking about Nomura's perspective. He mentioned this once in an interview I believe.
Nomura is clearly a madman, so we probably won't know exactly how he expected the whole thing to pan out.

It seems more like they wanted to make a 3DS game first and foremost and just let the rest figure itself out, since there's nothing about Coded, Days or BBS that explicitly requires DDD to explain anything.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

He can say whatever he wants, but the storylines in the three other games have little to nothing to do with what happens in DDD. Almost nothing happens in that game except the giant plot dump at the very end.

ChaserX

Nov 1, 2017
Miami, FL
"If you survive that long."
"Fall before these broken keys."
"This town shall be your resting place."
"Just let it end, boy."
"Expire!"
- Master Xehanort

I love how many ways the can have a character say they're going to kill Sora with using the word "die".

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Finished this on Saturday. They could have finished the series (or at least Sora's & Xehanort's story), but of course the whole bullshit with the Master of Masters and of course Sora inexplicably fading away at the end really ruins all the rest of the stuff that concludes in this game.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind DDD, but I really done like the time travel aspect. I think it makes things overtly convoluted just bring back characters that didn't need to be brought back. 13 evils vs 7 lights is fine, but I would have preferred new characters instead of Ansem/Xemnas. Were there any completely new original characters in KH3?

Yeah, I was fine with DDD for a good majority of it. Then the time travel stuff started happening and I think I said "Oh no" out loud.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
so pete and maleficent were just there to just tease future games, right? or am i forgetting something that they actually did?

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
So the black box contains 'hope' huh? Wonder what that means.

I wonder if Xigbar might have convinced them to go looking for it so it'd be easier for him to find, or perhaps he just knew all along where it is and played along with Xehanorts hunt for it.
so pete and maleficent were just there to just tease future games, right? or am i forgetting something that they actually did?
Prettymuch. I mean it's better than them failing again, but at the same time it's a real bummer.

With that said though it might be setting up for them to be some of the darknesses/be allied with them in the next game and if that involves the princesses of heart again we could get a semi-redux of KH1 with Malificent as one of the main villains (leading into the bigger plot) which I think would be a nice start to the next saga.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

*sees intimidating people around box she's been looking for the entire game*

Maleficent: "I-it's not like I really wanted it that bad I'll just come back later."

CalZone

Nov 18, 2017
We got pixar and 3d disney worlds in this one. Can't wait for KH4 to be filled with all the new live-action versions of old films...

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The guardian actually HELPS you during the fight if you do some reaction commands right. The implication is that Terra is inside of it and doing his best to resist but Xehanort's still overpowering him.
TERRA helps you during the fight if you do the reaction command correctly. The guardian actively tries to keep you from reaching Terra.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of Final battles, we should've totally been able to play as Roxas and Aqua in their respective sections. Also with the Xehanorts were separate fights with Riku, Mickey, and Sora. Would've spiced things up.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We got pixar and 3d disney worlds in this one. Can't wait for KH4 to be filled with all the new live-action versions of old films...
"Sora, Donald, Goofy, it's me, your old pal Genie."
ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

O_o

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The theatrical stage productions of Aladdin hire actors skilled at improv for the Genie role and it was a huge missed opportunity for the movie.

EDIT: Also, I am so damn happy that Agrabah was left out of KH3. That world was played out before they even got to KH2.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
And then the fight that follows includes Terra and Aqua fighting to overpower the guardian, so what was that about?

Gameplay-story segregation meaning gameplay isn't canon to the story.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GameplayAndStorySegregation

Like Sora pirate shipping Anti-Aqua.

I do think Terra = Guardian is set up at the end of BBS. Terranort locks out his heart when he shouts to Terra to get out his heat and the Guardian immediately appears and melts behind him

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
TERRA helps you during the fight if you do the reaction command correctly. The guardian actively tries to keep you from reaching Terra.

If we were to think of gameplay as canon well this will makes sense. The Guardian is the darkness in Terra's heart.

The cool thing about the Terra-Guardian moment in KH III is that it's Terra controlling and using the darkness in his heart to beat Terranort. Something that he was afraid of.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Gameplay-story segregation meaning gameplay isn't canon to the story.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GameplayAndStorySegregation

Like Sora pirate shipping Anti-Aqua.

I do think Terra = Guardian is set up at the end of BBS. Terranort locks out his heart when he shouts to Terra to get out his heat and the Guardian immediately appears and melts behind him
No reason to assume that anything shown in battle is explicitly non-canon, though. Dive into Heart has a lot of scenes of Sora mid-battle and characters tend to still have all those powers outside of them - Xemnas does his dome laser thing in a cutscene in 3.

I totally buy that (at least as of BBS) they were setting up Terra = Guardian. I just don't think it's a very satisfying way that they retconned it.