• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
But why use people like Repliku and Xion in those limited replicas then instead of just more Xehanorts? It's just a dumb plot through and through.

Hell, Xion didn't even appear to be a "Xehanort".
I'd imagine having 13 Xehanorts around the same age at the same peak time would cause major ego issues, like why is he in charge, why do I do this and he does that etc.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
One of my favorite scenes in the game was Hayner, Pence, and Olette saving Ansem the Wise. That was a fun little moment, and it was neat seeing these powerless side characters actually contribute something. Hell they probably did more than Riku in this game.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gifs from the Just a pancake video, created by presented to you all. enjoy

fmpG5ap.gif

dEaaTUI.gif

BRJWpjp.gif

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
Is Xehanort a Nomura self insert?
He's moved onto the Master of Masters knowing what happens next and trolling us all in the meantime.
Here with translation along with the screenshot: https://www.reddit.com/r/KingdomHearts/comments/awu5mg/kh3_the_real_organizations_members_explained/

The question mark about his human status isn't the poster's note, it's actually in the Ultimania:

So it seems to be up in the air as to whether Luxu actually recompletes Braig or not.
Could have sworn it was without a question mark, guess it's still up in the air though. My headcanon is he got recompleted with how he basically went off of that cliff ending himself and was recompleted. (though if he wanted i'm sure he could have survived) It's interesting too that Demyx is specified as coming becoming human again.

Last edited:

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Let's be honest: Kingdom Hearts' writing is terrible, by all accounts. It remains entertaining, until the day the fanbase gets fed up.

There are so many things that could have been handled better, but I have no illusions left whatsoever about Nomura and his writing team. They're just bad.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I got to the final boss two weeks ago and turned off the game because I realized it was the final boss and I was not enjoying it that much. I just turned it back on today and beat it. I have to say - I haven't been this disappointed in a major release since MVCI.

This isn't as bad as MVCI, but damn - what a huge letdown. I'd definitely rank it below 1,2, and BBS, and by a large margin as well.

I literally mashed X on proud mode against everything except the final boss and steamrolled the game.

Also, super confused on the very last part of the ending.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WTF anyone seen that Ardyn dlc for FFXV trailer? He does that square signature with his fingers like the Master of Masters does in the KH3 secret ending!

Around the 56 second mark. NOMURA

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Let's be honest: Kingdom Hearts' writing is terrible, by all accounts. It remains entertaining, until the day the fanbase gets fed up.

There are so many things that could have been handled better, but I have no illusions left whatsoever about Nomura and his writing team. They're just bad.

Kingdom Hearts has never had good writing but that's okay because it's never been framed as a well-written series. It's a really fun and entertaining but dumb game not Shakespeare.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Kingdom Hearts has never had good writing but that's okay because it's never been framed as a well-written series. It's a really fun and entertaining but dumb game not Shakespeare.
Well, I don't think anyone wants or expects some Shakespearian writing from this series.

But when said series is extra-convoluted, has terrible pacing, multiplies retcons, pull things out of thin air without explanation, introduces Deus Ex Machina, treats its characters pretty badly and/or introduces "-Sue" like characters, you know you have a problem. There are countless stories with better writing than KH. Some fanfictions are better written than KH.

I'm all for fun and not overthinking things, but this series need to improve its writing drastically.

DawnChocobo

Jan 14, 2019
At this point would it still be reasonable to expect FF characters in the DLC?
Or is that just wishful thinking? I mean they created a model for Leon and some others so it would be a waste not to..

scooper

Jan 20, 2019
Some fanfictions are better written than KH.
most fanfiction is better than KH.

KH fanfiction is the only chance Kairi has at being an actual character and fans have picked up on that, ran with it, and knocked it out of the park. if it weren't for fic i wouldn't be able to tolerate Kairi. at all. but thankfully i've gotten to experience her in the hands of competent writers who actually care enough to give her development. and now she's my daughter :-)

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
At this point would it still be reasonable to expect FF characters in the DLC?
Or is that just wishful thinking? I mean they created a model for Leon and some others so it would be a waste not to..
I think it's a fairly safe assumption there will at least be some FF/Square Enix boss fights.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Well, I don't think anyone wants or expects some Shakespearian writing from this series.

But when said series is extra-convoluted, has terrible pacing, multiplies retcons, pull things out of thin air without explanation, introduces Deus Ex Machina, treats its characters pretty badly and/or introduces "-Sue" like characters, you know you have a problem. There are countless stories with better writing than KH. Some fanfictions are better written than KH.

I'm all for fun and not overthinking things, but this series need to improve its writing drastically.

At this point, the insanely bad writing is part of its charm.

Unless there's a reboot, it will always be convoluted because of the lore introduced.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's possible for them to start fresh without rebooting but nomura willingly passes up basically every oppurtunity to do so.

I can't imagine there's a reason for them to start fresh either. Presenting every single Kingdom Hearts product as required reading has been profitable for them.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I think it's a fairly safe assumption there will at least be some FF/Square Enix boss fights.
Unless they're going to add story segments to Olympus to reintroduce them or the Colisseum, I don't think this is actually a given. They're already working on some sort of plan for the next game, so they'll probably continue in the tradition of introducing a superboss that's got something to do with the next entry.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
The last 2-3 hours of the game are definitely the best parts of it, but even then I have a ton of issues. Nothing prior to that point in the story was important at all so the big revelations and events that occur are all smushed into this breakneck 2-3 hour block so everything seems rushed and nothing seems satisfying. I should have had alot more emotional investment in each of the Org falling.

Also that Lich fight was so awful.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I guess that's one way to handwave away why it took some of them so long to come back. "Oh yeah Zexion got stabbed real good by Repliku and that's why the timing on their recompletion was so perfect."

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Funny cause I consider The last 2-3 hours to invariably be the worst parts of KH3.

I can see how some would feel that way too, the whole game in general is a narrative mess. I never found myself caring about anything going on until those those 3 hours though, and it was executed so poorly that the only reason I felt anything was because of nostalgia. It was like they were just checking off boxes that they had to to end the story without earning any of it.

The gameplay itself was so easy and un-engaging that I probably could have just watched it on Youtube and had the same experience TBH.

Oct 26, 2017
Okay so KH3 had a Naruto ending so we have to ask.

Obito vs. Xehanort

Sakura vs. Kairi

I like the ending fights a lot (was level 30 from the Keyblade Graveyard onward).

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I can see how some would feel that way too, the whole game in general is a narrative mess. I never found myself caring about anything going on until those those 3 hours though, and it was executed so poorly that the only reason I felt anything was because of nostalgia. It was like they were just checking off boxes that they had to to end the story without earning any of it.

See, KH has always been a narrative mess, so I appreciate what good it does, which is why everything before the ending I enjoy.

Like Disney is irrelevant, but it's always irrelevant, but i at least enjoy the irrelevant Disney.

Graveyard through Scala is a fucking chore.

Oct 26, 2017
See, KH has always been a narrative mess, so I appreciate what good it does, which is why everything before the ending I enjoy.

Like Disney is irrelevant, but it's always irrelevant, but i at least enjoy the irrelevant Disney.

Hmm, the fights are interesting and varied at the end.

Toy Story and Pirates 3 were obviously the peaks of the game. The game is near GotY quality in those levels.

Big Hero 6 feels 5 months away from being finished.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Okay so KH3 had a Naruto ending so we have to ask.

Obito vs. Xehanort

Sakura vs. Kairi

I like the ending fights a lot (was level 30 from the Keyblade Graveyard onward).

Xehanort > Obito

Sakura > Kairi

The cast never actually forgives Xehanort, the world does, but the cast for the most part besides Eraqus is like "Fuck that guy."

Kairi never has any of Sakura's overwhelming lows, but she also has none of her highs.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Hmm, the fights are interesting and varied at the end.

Toy Story and Pirates 3 were obviously the peaks of the game. The game is near GotY quality in those levels.

Big Hero 6 feels 5 months away from being finished.
I literally walked through those bosses.

And no, they really aren't. not compared to the bosses before. I will say the fights are more solid than most Disney fights, but they lack any of the gravitas or theatrics of any of those fights.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW

I promise I don't mean this in the snotty way it might come off, but if the only parts of the series / stories you enjoy are the irrelevant Disney parts, why stick around in the spoiler thread this long? I'm legit curious, not angry you don't like it or hinting you should go away, haha. There's really not much discussion of the random stories in the Disney worlds or anything prior to rescuing Aqua really.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I promise I don't mean this in the snotty way it might come off, but if the only parts of the series / stories you enjoy are the irrelevant Disney parts, why stick around in the spoiler thread this long? I'm legit curious, not angry you don't like it or hinting you should go away, haha. There's really not much discussion of the random stories in the Disney worlds or anything prior to rescuing Aqua really.
My post was specifically in reference to KH3.

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
So, in the end of the day the concept of "norting" doesn't really amount to much does it?

No one lost their individuality, no one changed physically (yellow eyes notwithstanding) and, besides Xion, no one seemed to be there against their will. Xigbar's half-Xehanortness is effectively no different from any of the other Org members.

They created a possession/ transformation plot and didn't even milk any sort of drama from it besides "Is this the REAL Riku???????".

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Xehanort > Obito

Sakura > Kairi

The cast never actually forgives Xehanort, the world does, but the cast for the most part besides Eraqus is like "Fuck that guy."

Kairi never has any of Sakura's overwhelming lows, but she also has none of her highs.

Nah. Kairi isn't as bad as Sakura. Not even close.

Sakura's lows are so low that the average gets pulled down way below Kairi.

The worst you can say about Kairi is that she's irrelevant and motivation for the MC.

Sakura is just peak misogyny. She ends up with the man who tried to murder her because Kishimoto thought it would be messed up for her to change.

Oct 26, 2017
So, in the end of the day the concept of "norting" doesn't really amount to much does it?

No one lost their individuality, no one changed physically (yellow eyes notwithstanding) and, besides Xion, no one seemed to be there against their will. Xigbar's half-Xehanortness is effectively no different from any of the other Org members.

They created a possession/ transformation plot and didn't even milk any sort of drama from it besides "Is this the REAL Riku???????".

Sure, it all came to nothing like a lot of the series up to this point, lol.

It was a super happy ending for everyone except Nomura angsting over Versus 13.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

They're just excuses so you can fight most of the bosses from the old games in a grand finale.