• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I take it the same way I've looked at KH for a while now. Sora is simply the POV character, but he's not the primary character. Riku, Terra, and Aqua are the primary characters that have a driving protagonist role in the narrative.

Most people disagree but I think it squares pretty well with his basically inconsequential Sora is to the actual stuff going on other than being the hiding place for like 15 other people's souls.

And yes, it should 100% have been Terra fighting MX at the end with Sora playing support. Or the Destiny Island trinity doing the first and second phase while Sora/Donald/Goofy for the last phase because that's the real "trinity" of the games which helps tie it together in a nice little bow.

I don't think it was bad how they ended up doing it, but it could have been done much better and more resonant.

I just think it's a weird angle to take for a character like Sora that actually has his own personality and motivations. This is usually the type of thing a silent protagonist or something does and I don't really like it there either.

I think the PS2 games were pretty focused on Sora or at least characters in his immediate circle but this feels beyond him. Hopefully the next game gives us something a little more personal.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
KH4 x Marvel? :O

Who am I kidding.

Kingdom Hearts: Something Confusing /X (chi) for Switch.
I do hope Marvel is included into the series eventually.

I imagine doing something similar to what they did with Stitch and you just run into The Guardians of the Galaxy or Carol in space.

Or a world based on Into the Spider-Verse.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'd prefer they keep worlds strictly Disney-branded (which is not the same as Disney-owned). Plus, I'd imagine how complicated it would be having to negotiate with multiple companies/subsidiaries for all those worlds. Disney+Pixar and their various animation teams is already having a lot of cooks in the kitchen.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd prefer they keep worlds strictly Disney-branded (which is not the same as Disney-owned). Plus, I'd imagine how complicated it would be having to negotiate with multiple companies/subsidiaries for all those worlds. Disney+Pixar and their various animation teams is already having a lot of cooks in the kitchen.
I'm sorry but fighting Thanos with a giant key is to tempting an image for me to give up.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
I hope if we ever get something Marvel related that it's just a superboss. Would much rather fight Thanos, Ultron, or Dr. Doom way more than spending 2 hours hanging out with Spider-man then fighting Vulture's heartless.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what I like Kairi.

They just handle her poorly. Really hope some of that criticism makes it through.

Yeah this. Kairi's problems are the direct result of Nomura repeatedly never following up on his promise to actually use her in action, instead deciding to string us along for multiple games going "she's going to do something! She's going to do something!" then going "NOPE! She's going to die!"

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sora and Master Xehanort having never met puts a bit of an awkward tinge on the finale. Like nobody who's actually personally involved gets to do anything and Sora's leading the charge for the most part...

But the stories Kingdom Hearts 3 is wrapping up aren't really about Sora. It's weird. I think that's the thing that feels the most "off" about this game's story.
I felt the same way after beating it but I came to just believe that Master Xehanort is just Ansem and Xemnas combined, and you're just supposed to feel that this is an extension of everything from KH1. It's the same guy he's been dealing with since he met Ansem in the Secret Place. Like Xehanort has all of those memories of fighting and being thwarted by Sora. If he threw out a couple of lines about dealing with Sora before, I think the fight may have been more satisfying and felt more personal for more people.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
agreed. they fucked her up so bad. her getting kidnapped by Xemnas and then being dangled in front of sora for "motivation" was the games GREATEST flaw.
Yup, most of the other stuff about the game(some meh difficulty, attractions, even some weird plot points) at the end mostly just felt like small nitpicks for me compared to the greater whole which is a pretty great game. I actively despised what they did with Kairi though, and it actually lowered my opinion of the overall game unfortunately.

I thought about it later, but having Sora die at that scene instead and having the others band together to take down xehanort with Kairi making the promise to bring him back at the end would have made me so much happier with the game's ending.

Here's to the very weak hope that she gets retooled in a final mix-esque dlc.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This ad just showed up on Facebook. The comments are what you'd expect
WJpUhfs.jpg

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly curious - what's there to like? I don't feel like I actually know Kairi since she spends all of these games being captured or having her heart stolen or something.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game yesterday.

Liked it overall, but not a fan of how they handled the Keyblade Graveyard and ending.

Things happened too fast for anything to leave an impact. Also, the "everybody is dead" but revived thing was... not handled well

I didn't enjoy the grouped boss battle didn't do it for me, the redemption speech after each one of them got KOed was not a good idea IMO.
The Triple Nort battle felt great but I miss reaction commands a lot, would have made things way more cinematic.

And the Kairi thing... yeah it got complained about a lot and I agree.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Finished the game yesterday.

Liked it overall, but not a fan of how they handled the Keyblade Graveyard and ending.

Things happened too fast for anything to leave an impact. Also, the "everybody is dead" but revived thing was... not handled well

I didn't enjoy the grouped boss battle didn't do it for me, the redemption speech after each one of them got KOed was not a good idea IMO.
The Triple Nort battle felt great but I miss reaction commands a lot, would have made things way more cinematic.

And the Kairi thing... yeah it got complained about a lot and I agree.

The Keyblade Graveyard will be expanded on according to Nomura.

That's easy. Mickey and Aqua were a given.

For example, I'm pretty damn sure it's Roxas that's gonna be above. Sora too (durf).

What does a portrait being above another one mean?

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Hey now, the concept of Keyblades, Ansem/ Xehanort and how hearts work always changed to fit what the story needed throughout these games.

One could easily change Kairi into someone interesting with her own dynamic. All you need is a writer who CARES.

Sure, but that's fixing garbage, not making trash more trash.

Kairi began as PEAK Disney princess and has never once left that atmosphere.

Remember KH2 where she goes to save Sora AND THEN GETS THE SHIT KICKED OUT OF HER BY A BUNCH OF SHADOWS? I remember.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Sure, but that's fixing garbage, not making trash more trash.

Kairi began as PEAK Disney princess and has never once left that atmosphere.

Remember KH2 where she goes to save Sora AND THEN GETS THE SHIT KICKED OUT OF HER BY A BUNCH OF SHADOWS? I remember.

She does save Sora several times but the means through which she does it is gendered.

She saved Sora twice with love and believing in him. It's kinda lame.

malyse

Community Resetter
most fanfiction is better than KH.

KH fanfiction is the only chance Kairi has at being an actual character and fans have picked up on that, ran with it, and knocked it out of the park. if it weren't for fic i wouldn't be able to tolerate Kairi. at all. but thankfully i've gotten to experience her in the hands of competent writers who actually care enough to give her development. and now she's my daughter :-)
I wonder how pissed Shiro Amano is about KH3. His manga Kairi is a badass and literally nothing that happens in 3 would have happened to her.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I remember watching Back Cover, but I guess I just don't remember the Ven part.

It's not in Back Cover. The Back Cover movie only covers the stuff up to a certain point.

Union X goes on to cover the stuff after that like the beginning of the Keyblade War, the successors to the Foretellers called the Dandelion Union Leaders after everyone else dies during the Keyblade War and on the activities of the Dandelions.

It's still ongoing but I expect that it'll eventually get a movie like Back Cover did.

But yeah, Ventus was a Dandelion Union leader. One of five.

The other Dandelion Union leader that's been present for a long time in the KH series is
Lauriam/Marluxia. Elrena/Larxene was a Dandelion as well. And KH III heavily implies Demyx and Luxord were too.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
It's not in Back Cover. The Back Cover movie only covers the stuff up to a certain point.

Union X goes on to cover the stuff after that like the beginning of the Keyblade War, the successors to the Foretellers called the Dandelion Union Leaders after everyone else dies during the Keyblade War and on the activities of the Dandelions.

It's still ongoing but I expect that it'll eventually get a movie like Back Cover did.

But yeah, Ventus was a Dandelion Union leader. One of five.

The other Dandelion Union leader that's been present for a long time in the KH series is
Lauriam/Marluxia. Elrena/Larxene was a Dandelion as well. And KH III heavily implies Demyx and Luxord were too.
Ooooh! I getcha. It did seem like they were heavily implying something with those characters during the game.

Saad

Oct 27, 2017
did anyone draw the similarities between KH3 ending and Madoka anime ending?
I know Osaka team are fans but the whole last segment felt close to how madoka ended hmmmm.......

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I do like that Kairi fought with you even if it was briefly. I hope that's expanded upon in future DLC.

I wonder if it's possible to get Kairi starring DLC with just her and Axel going on a training adventure. In hindsight, that could have been an interesting thing in-between worlds in the base game, similar to how you sometimes play as Ciri in Witcher 3.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Bequeathing never felt like a big deal narratively. Maybe, like, with Riku. But really anyone can wield a Keyblade. Kairi wasn't "bequeathed" really. Neither was Axel. By the end of the series I was wondering why Donald and Goofy don't get one as well. It's not like it's some kind of sacred rite of passage. Anyone can do it.