• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Sora is the only fucker goofy enough to be MoM. Since the moment I saw Back Cover the first time and he said "You ruined my master plan! That was supposed to blow your mind!" and the "You think that's gross, do ya?!" stuff... I've thought "Is... is this Sora?"

It'll be adult time-traveling Sora with an eyepatch(considering the MoM only has one eye) and beard combo.

Wait...a minute.

I found the Master of Masters.

latest

Hair color and eye color match.

Sora-Selfie-Xion-death.jpg

8ed.jpg

737e8285be00380308ac5b3db2f5cfe6.png

I cracked the fucking code, guys.

Punished Sora- A hero denied by his own reality.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Bequeathing never felt like a big deal narratively. Maybe, like, with Riku. But really anyone can wield a Keyblade. Kairi wasn't "bequeathed" really. Neither was Axel. By the end of the series I was wondering why Donald and Goofy don't get one as well. It's not like it's some kind of sacred rite of passage. Anyone can do it.

Kairi got bequeathed one by Aqua according to Nomura even if it was accidentally.

And Axel presumably had one bequeathed to him by Yen Sid considering that he went to Yen Sid's place to learn how to wield one.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Kairi got bequeathed one by Aqua according to Nomura even if it was accidentally.

And Axel presumably had one bequeathed to him by Yen Sid considering that he went to Yen Sid's place to learn how to wield one.
See the Axel thing makes things muddy. Is Axel "worthy"? He just shows up there with the intent of wielding one...and then he gets one. I never played the mobile games but how does bequeathing work there? There are armies of kids who have them. Sora basically got Terra's bequeathing a la Riku's hand me downs.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
See the Axel thing makes things muddy. Is Axel "worthy"? He just shows up there with the intent of wielding one...and then he gets one. I never played the mobile games but how does bequeathing work there? There are armies of kids who have them. Sora basically got Terra's bequeathing a la Riku's hand me downs.

Terra lays it out here:

"In your hand, take this key. So long as you have the makings, then through this simple act of taking...its wielder you shall one day be. And you will find me, friend—no ocean will contain you then. No more borders around, or below, or above, so long as you champion the ones you love."

You have to touch the Keyblade and be worthy of wielding one by having a strong heart which you could say all the Orgy XIII members have since Nobodies are only created from people who have super strong hearts but someone has to pass you down the Keyblade.

Sora is the only exception. He was never chosen.

"This time we saw a "rite of succession" - is that a required condition for becoming a Keyblade user?" /

Tetsuya Nomura: "That's essentially correct. In terms of the rite itself, the successee just has to make the successor grasp their Keyblade - if this rite is performed by a Keyblade Master, and if they have suitable power, the Keyblade will choose that person as a Keyblade user, and appear before them. Terra, Ventus, all have passed this rite. Sora is the only exception."

"After completing the Keyblade Inheritance Ceremony, one must also be chosen by the Keyblade itself. The Keyblade Inheritance Ceremony involves simply coming in contact with a Keyblade owned by a Keyblade Master, and the new Keyblade wielder will then receive a new Keyblade different from the one of the Master. The Keyblade choosing a wielder is based upon the strength of the heart of a person with no concern regarding good or evil."

"Why was Riku chosen as the original wielder of the keyblade?" /

Tetsuya Nomura: "Because he was chosen by Terra to inherit. To use a keyblade you must have been chosen to inherit as well as been chosen by the keyblade itself. In BbS you could see that Terra performed the ceremony with Riku, and that is why Riku was able to take the keyblade that Sora used.

Interviewer: "Even though Riku was the rightful owner of the Keyblade, then why did Sora obtain the Keyblade in the beginning?" / Tetsuya

Nomura: "Even though I would like to keep that obscure, there is a scene in Destiny islands where Riku is being swallowed by darkness, a light appears, and Sora first obtains the keyblade. With the setting I created, the darkness that surrounds them is Riku's heart's darkness. At that moment, Sora enters the darkness, and the light he sees inside is Riku's heart's light. Sora, who was squirming in the darkness to save Riku, touched the light and temporarily obtained the Keyblade from Riku."

So if Nomura wants to go the route that Sora is now Xehanort's successor, he can. Some building blocks have established for it.

Oct 27, 2017
I figured the keyblade could just sort of choose you if you're worthy enough and that's how Sora got it back in Hollow Bastion.

But at this point nothing there's no rules about the keyblade. Sometimes it's this abstract power that manifests as a sword that you can never truly lose. Sora even uses that quality of it to punk Jack Sparrow and Roxas. In KH3 the keyblade can transform into yo-yos and hammers, while the BBS team can transform theirs into spaceships and battle armor. So it's clearly some kind of power and not a strict physical weapon.

Except for when Mickey and Riku's get thier asses kicked, then it can physically break and you gotta get a new one lol.

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
Terra lays it out here:

You have to touch the Keyblade and be worthy of wielding one by having a strong heart which you could say all the Orgy XIII members have since Nobodies are only created from people who have super strong hearts but someone has to pass you down the Keyblade.

Sora is the only exception. He was never chosen.

So if Nomura wants to go the route that Sora is now Xehanort's successor, he can. Some building blocks have established for it.
All I'm saying is, it's inconsistent. That's why this theory doesn't work for me. "You have to touch a Keyblade to be bequeathed" Kairi and Axel didn't do that. "If you touch the Keyblade and you have a strong heart you get one" Then where the hell is Leon's Keyblade from when he held it in Traverse Town in KH1?

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
All I'm saying is, it's inconsistent. That's why this theory doesn't work for me. "You have to touch a Keyblade to be bequeathed" Kairi and Axel didn't do that. "If you touch the Keyblade and you have a strong heart you get one" Then where the hell is Leon's Keyblade from when he held it in Traverse Town in KH1?

Kairi touched Aqua's keyblade and so was bequeathed by her according to Nomura.

Leon doesn't have the qualifications to be a Keyblade wielder aka his heart isn't strong enough or Sora didn't have the qualifications to pass it down to Leon because he wasn't Keyblade master material.

Again for it work, the recipient has to touch the Keyblade but must also have a strong enough heart and the one passing it down must meet the qualifications to be a Keyblade Master which KH 1 Sora certainly wasn't

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anyone argues that Sora wasn't a rightful keyblade wielder before beating Xeahnort.

But it is really interesting that as part of that ending Xeahnort did very clearly hand over ownership of the X-blade. So Sora now goes into KH4 or whatever side story being the master of a weapon with the power to end all existence.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anyone argues that Sora wasn't a rightful keyblade wielder before beating Xeahnort.

But it is really interesting that as part of that ending Xeahnort did very clearly hand over ownership of the X-blade. So Sora now goes into KH4 or whatever side story being the master of a weapon with the power to end all existence.
It will be snatched from him in the tutorial most likely.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
You are trying to to apply strictly logic to a serie that does not.

Sora bequeathed jack sparrow btw.

He didn't. Jack Sparrow doesn't have a strong enough heart to qualify and/or KH II Sora isn't Keyblade master material

It's not just about touching a Keyblade or else everyone that got whacked in the face by one would have one.

Problem with that is that Sora has held a keyblade with Riku and Aqua before that.

I don't think KH 2 Riku is Keyblade Master material considering he just sprouted one at the end of KH II.

And I don't remember Sora ever touching Aqua's Keyblade.

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
Kairi touched Aqua's keyblade and so was bequeathed by her according to Nomura.

Leon doesn't have the qualifications to be a Keyblade wielder aka his heart isn't strong enough or Sora didn't have the qualifications to pass it down to Leon because he wasn't Keyblade master material.

Again for it work, the recipient has to touch the Keyblade but must also have a strong enough heart and the one passing it down must meet the qualifications to be a Keyblade Master which KH 1 Sora certainly wasn't
But then you have to question if Terra met the qualifications of Master due to him using dark powers during his test. And whether or not the person overseeing the Exam is the sole determinant of if you're a master or not. He obviously knew how to do the ritual, but I don't think mastery has much to do with that. Also I'd think Leon's heart was strong enough, considering he grew up in Radiant Garden, like many Org XIII members who had hearts strong enough to become Nobodies

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
But then you have to question if Terra met the qualifications of Master due to him using dark powers during his test. And whether or not the person overseeing the Exam is the sole determinant of if you're a master or not. He obviously knew how to do the ritual, but I don't think mastery has much to do with that. Also I'd think Leon's heart was strong enough, considering he grew up in Radiant Garden, like many Org XIII members who had hearts strong enough to become Nobodies

Nomura confirmed that although Terra doesn't have the official title, he meets the qualifications to be a Keyblade Master which is why he could pass it down to Riku.
MX. Eraqus would've named him one immediately if not for MX.

Interviewer: "The Keyblade succession can only be performed by a Keyblade Master, but we see Terra performing this rite with Riku - does this mean we can consider Terra a Keyblade Master?"

Tetsuya Nomura: "No. Terra was not awarded that title by his Master Eraqus, so no matter how Master Xehanort flatters him he is not a Keyblade Master. But that's just a matter of whether or not he's achieved the official title. Even Eraqus recognised that Terra possessed suitable power to be a Master, which is why he was able to perform the rite for Riku."

I don't think growing up in Radiant Garden means you have a strong heart.

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
Nomura confirmed that although Terra doesn't have the official title, he meets the qualifications to be a Keyblade Master which is why he could pass it down to Riku.
MX. Eraqus would've named him one immediately if not for MX.

I don't think growing up in Radiant Garden means you have a strong heart.

Wow a lot of my questions were answered in interviews. So that's why Terra could do it. But when it comes to Radiant Garden, I think if 4 year old Kairi has a strong enough heart to be bequeathed, and 10 year old Ienzo does... and teen boys Lea and Isa do, it's not a stretch to believe Leon has one as well. But he can't have a strong heart for bequeathing to make sense...so he doesn't.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Wow a lot of my questions were answered in interviews. So that's why Terra could do it. But when it comes to Radiant Garden, I think if 4 year old Kairi has a strong enough heart to be bequeathed, and 10 year old Ienzo does... and teen boys Lea and Isa do, it's not a stretch to believe Leon has one as well. But he can't have a strong heart for bequeathing to make sense...so he doesn't.

Well they guy passing down the Keyblade has to meet the qualifications of being Keyblade Master material too like I said which would be why KH 1 Sora didn't pass it down to Leon.

He wasn't gud yet

So I guess Leon could have had a strong enough heart for it to work but not with KH 1 Sora maybe with KH III Sora

Oct 25, 2017
just finished the game... and... is it just me or does this game add barely anything lore wise compare to every other entry in the series?

I don't feel like I've learned anything substantial from the 40hrs I put into this compare to where I left off earlier this year after I finished DDD.

We get slightly less vague description of what KH is... and still feel like I know only slightly more about xehanort's motivations and character.

They even trolling ya the whole game about the whole black box stuff!

not sure what's up with the little teddy bear with a purse either. I read up on how they are a thing in the mobile game, but what does it gotta do with ventus?

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even if that were intended by Nomura, I don't think it matters much. The "uniqueness" and individuality of Sora wielding a keyblade without bequethment has been on shaky ground since Ven was inside of him aaaaall alooooooong.

EDIT: Hell, the whole "bequethment being necessary" thing was just a desperate attempt to retroactively maintain Sora being special in a way the growing number of keyblade wielders weren't. The weak concept was undermined in the same game lol

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I'm sure there will be some shenanigans and Sora will be using the X-blade in the next saga. Hopefully it'll be when Nomura decides to actually explain and utilize Kingdom Hearts to its fullest extent. Just having Xehanort using it to drain all the light out of Sora, while interesting, felt like a basic usage of Kingdom Hearts.

Ah. Now I'm impressed.
If you're not keeping up with the updates you should since you mentioned being disappointed about 3 not adding to the lore.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Just want to say that since finishing KH3 I've had a really hard time to start another game. This game was really the cultivation of all my years playing video games from accidentally seeing KH in used game bin in a games shop when I was 13 and laughing at seeing Cloud and Donald together.

Since then I've come to care more and more about the KH story especially after the Roxas intro in KH2. Playing the last portion of KH3 had me smiling for hours and just loving the hell out of it.

Oct 25, 2017
Man I feel like so many moments of this game were for the fans! Even if shit makes no sense at all lore wise. Guess Nomura gotta wing it down the road like the dlc explaining xion and why she can... Feel Kairi now? What?

I'm sure there will be some shenanigans and Sora will be using the X-blade in the next saga. Hopefully it'll be when Nomura decides to actually explain and utilize Kingdom Hearts to its fullest extent. Just having Xehanort using it to drain all the light out of Sora, while interesting, felt like a basic usage of Kingdom Hearts.

If you're not keeping up with the updates you should since you mentioned being disappointed about 3 not adding to the lore.

What's the best way to keep up without having to play the gacha game?

Is there youtube play lists or summaries etc worth looking at?

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017

You've got a few options.

KHInsider has an up-to-date playlist with all the relevant story scenes subbed in English and quest gameplay removed.
Everglow has 11 videos in his timeline series that compile the scenes in chronological order, but it's not fully up-to-date with recent events. He does have a separate playlist with his own English subbed videos that is updated, but it includes all gameplay and filler.
Or if you'd prefer just a quick recap, damos279 has 2 videos summarizing relevant events.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Man I feel like so many moments of this game were for the fans! Even if shit makes no sense at all lore wise. Guess Nomura gotta wing it down the road like the dlc explaining xion and why she can... Feel Kairi now? What?

Youtube playlists. Start from the beginning. There's gold in there.

I don't mind Xion feeling Kairi considering she's literally an incomplete Sora replica made up of Sora's memories of Kairi.

She's connected to her even if she's part of Sora.

She and Namine are sort of Sora and Kairi's daughters from a certain point of view.

Oct 25, 2017
Ahhhh I get what this game reminds me of....

One of those anime based fighting games like from dragon ball or something where they make up some hokey story reason to bring everyone back.

except... I'm not sure why they brought everyone back here. Is there just huge fan bases for every organization member? I never really engaged with kh fanbases... so idk.

Still kind of a bummer that xion is back. Easily the most powerful moment in the series for me, and was worth the grind of a really mediocre game! I guess the positive is we get a female that didn't get her ass kicked this game? yay?

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
I just realised that I saved after the 3 Xehanort fight.
A shame because this was one of the best fight in the game... also made me miss reaction commands. This fight would be amazing with the Reaction commands from KHII

Oct 25, 2017
so... after traversing every world in this game... what did sora learn or gain? What was even the point of going to other worlds outside of hercules which he was suppose to get tips on getting back his lost exp/levels or something.

Most of the game it was sora just scratching his head on the gummi ship and pointing his 'heart' at some random direct, Captain kirk style.

Pretty sure every other game, there was some reasoning to explore the worlds, but less so here.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
so... after traversing every world in this game... what did sora learn or gain? What was even the point of going to other worlds outside of hercules which he was suppose to get tips on getting back his lost exp/levels or something.

Most of the game it was sora just scratching his head on the gummi ship and pointing his 'heart' at some random direct, Captain kirk style.

Pretty sure every other game, there was some reasoning to explore the worlds, but less so here.

Ehh, the Disney worlds in general in the previous games aren't really any better. In KH 1, Sora is looking for Riku and Kairi. There's no particular reason he goes to wonderland or deep jungle or Atlantica, etc.

In kh2, Sora is looking for Riku... And then later Kairi. Again, there's no real reason he's going to land of dragon's or olympus again, or agrabah or pride lands. He and Donald and goofy are just kind of looking around.

Kh3 just voices sora's confusion about where to go more. Those scenes where Sora scratched his head and wondered where to go in 3 weren't really in 1 or 2 but they may have well been considering there isn't much rhyme or reason to the worlds you go to in those games either.

In 3, Sora is trying to find out more about the organization while hoping to find hints on what the abstract "power of waking" means. It's a bit more abstract than looking for sora's friends, but the actual meat of "let's go this world, maybe we'll find something!" Is the exact same in all 3 games imo.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
Oct 25, 2017
Ehh, the Disney worlds in general in the previous games aren't really any better. In KH 1, Sora is looking for Riku and Kairi. There's no particular reason he goes to wonderland or deep jungle or Atlantica, etc.

In kh2, Sora is looking for Riku... And then later Kairi. Again, there's no real reason he's going to land of dragon's or olympus again, or agrabah or pride lands. He and Donald and goofy are just kind of looking around.

Kh3 just voices sora's confusion about where to go more. Those scenes where Sora scratched his head and wondered where to go in 3 weren't really in 1 or 2 but they may have well been considering there isn't much rhyme or reason to the worlds you go to in those games either.

In 3, Sora is trying to find out more about the organization while hoping to find hints on what the abstract "power of waking" means. It's a bit more abstract than looking for sora's friends, but the actual meat of "let's go this world, maybe we'll find something!" Is the exact same in all 3 games imo.

True. Although the 'main' portable games bbs and ddd felt like they were getting a bit better at connecting the main story with the Disney stuff so I guess I was expecting a little more here.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
True. Although the 'main' portable games bbs and ddd felt like they were getting a bit better at connecting the main story with the Disney stuff so I guess I was expecting a little more here.

No, they really didn't.

Those Disney worlds were complete filler in DDD..

In DDD, the most relevant thing that happened was Orgy members showing up to spout mumbo jumbo to Sora and Riku.

And in BBS, it was a little better because they helped develop the Wayfinder trio but....plot-wise, they weren't all that important besides setting up a couple of things for KH 1.