• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nentindo

Oct 25, 2017
trying to make a top 10 but i'm running low, here's my list so far:

1) NieR: Automata
2) Cuphead
3) Super Mario Odyssey
4) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
5) Persona 5
6) Sonic Mania
7) Resident Evil 7 biohazard

i've played a lot of other games but ended up dropping them because they were too long. anyone have any recommendations for short, quality games that came out this year? A Hat in Time is the only one on my list right now.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
The Evil Within 2 is just phenomenal. If you haven't played it yet, I recommend it. Best horror game in forever, for me.

Edit: I don't know how long or short you want the recommendations to be.

Thunderpants

Oct 30, 2017
It'll get lost near the likes of Zelda and Mario, but Yakuza 0 was incredible. I adored that game, and it's currently only being edged out by Mario for me.

Oct 30, 2017
I envy Nintendo owners right now. Not so much for Zelda, but for how bonkers and fun the new Mario looks. I've actually never owned a Nintendo console in my life.

Anyway, Odyssey looks like GOTY material to me.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nioh
Cuphead
Wolfenstein 2
The Evil Within 2
Resident Evil 7
A Night in the Woods
Destiny 2
Golf Story
Steamworld Dig 2

Can't think of anything else I want to play but have not.

coryschmitz

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Statik Institute of Retention (if you have PSVR), Little Nightmares, KAMIKO, & Everything are great short ones from this year. If you can make time for one long game, I'd pick Nioh for sure!!

This is my first post on Era, btw. Hi.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely give Kamiko a look. It has three characters to play the game with and finishing with one of them takes only about an hour. The game is really cheap too, only $5, but it's such a nice ride.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Horizon and NieR. I don't think I will get a chance to play Horizon this year, but NieR is high on my priority list.

xmassteps

Oct 30, 2017
Really want to get round to Prey at some point. Been very glossed over but everyone who's played it says it's terrific.

Slev

Oct 27, 2017
They are not very short but

Hollow Knight
Divinity Original Sin 2
Yakuza 0

traveler

Oct 26, 2017
I'll be picking up Horizon with the DLC in December. (Already ordered it as part of the target sale) I also need to finish Wolfenstein 1 so I can play 2. I should probably put more time into PUBG to give it it's fair shake. Don't think I'll get around to TEW2 and I was going to wait on VR for RE7.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ever Oasis is definitely overlooked due to being on 3DS post-Switch but it's one of the best games I played all year.

Monster Hunter Stories got a little more hype than Ever Oasis, but it looks like the type that would be overlooked for GOTY as well.

Linkin112

Oct 25, 2017
Vernon Hills, IL
Basically anything exclusive to PS4 and Switch. It's a blessing in disguise sometimes though as I definitely wouldn't have the time to play everything if I had all three consoles anyway, but I'd be extremely tempted.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Definitely give Kamiko a look. It has three characters to play the game with and finishing with one of them takes only about an hour. The game is really cheap too, only $5, but it's such a nice ride.

I enjoyed Kamiko but it's far from GOTY contender. Elliot's quest just released last week on the eshop and is a better game.

Sabrina Rei

Oct 30, 2017
1. Divinity Original Sin 2
2. Evil Within 2
3. Persona 5

is my personal to do list. Not sure what I've played that OP hasn't.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Hollow Knight, Thimbleweed Park and Divinity: Original Sin 2 (none of those is short, sorry)

OP
OP
nentindo

nentindo

Oct 25, 2017
The Evil Within 2 is just phenomenal. If you haven't played it yet, I recommend it. Best horror game in forever, for me.

Edit: I don't know how long or short you want the recommendations to be.

15-20 hours is do-able

It'll get lost near the likes of Zelda and Mario, but Yakuza 0 was incredible. I adored that game, and it's currently only being edged out by Mario for me.

that's one i ended up dropping to get to all the other ones but i'll probably pick it up again

Slythe

Oct 26, 2017
I have yet to play:
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Prey
  • The Evil Within 2
  • Nier: Automata
  • Persona 5
  • Cuphead
  • Nioh
  • Destiny 2
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn
  • Yakuza 0
I picked a bad year to have less time to play games. Luckily I'll have D2 and Mario this week. From there I am prioritizing Prey and Nier: Automata.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much anything aside from Horizon or Persona 5 would be in this list - I haven't played any of them thanks to lack of funds, so will wait till black Friday or alternatively next year and beyond to get to them. The ones I want to play most are Yakuza 0 and BoTW.

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight is incredible. One of the best metroidvanias ever made, if not the best. A bit long (25 to 30 ish hours) but well worth it.
Nex Machina is a great, astonishingly well designed twin stick shooter arcade game. A single play through is very short.
Opus Magnum is one of the best puzzle games from one of the best puzzle game designers.
Pyre is great. Great writing and music, with really interesting gameplay.
Prey is great, and not too long
Divinity: Original Sin 2 is among the very best CRPGs ever made, and not terribly long either.

That's just of the top of my head.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely check out Pyre - it's one of the best indie games this year. Second best after Hollow Knight in my opinion. It's also not very long (8 hours) and has veeeeery unusual gameplay.

Also Night in the Woods if you like adventure games but not really point'n'clicks - it has really great artstyle, nice charm, cool story and characters.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Right now for me it's Mario. Had to save something for Christmas list, and that was the only physical game to pick from.

Boy it hurts.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
15-20 hours is do-able

that's one i ended up dropping to get to all the other ones but i'll probably pick it up again

Then I'll double down on TEW2 because it's amazing. Feels like Twin Peaks meets Silent Hill meets TLOU meets RE4. The open-ish world lets you tackle the game the way you want and gives it a very cool "horror vignette" vibe of you tracking down these oddities and experiencing the game on your own terms. It's also a perfect blend of Japanese and western design.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Horizon. It's been on my shelf for months. I'm probably gonna jump into it after I finish Mario.
Persona 5. Not gonna get to it this year, too big of a commitment.
Divinity II. My laptop is trash so I'll have to wait for the console version (which is inevitably coming).
Ni-Oh. Picked it up on sale but not sure I want to play it, honestly.
Wolfenstein 2. Not sure I'll have the time for this. I'll look for it on sale during Black Friday.
Cuphead. Not sure I'd like a game that's predominantly bosses so I'm gonna wait for a sale on this one.
Hollow Knight. Waiting for console versions.

For short(ish) games, I'd recommend Night in the Woods if you're into narrative driven games. It has some of the best writing in games and it seems to be getting overlooked by a lot of people. It out-does Undertale in a few ways.

I'd also recommend Uncharted Lost Legacy if you want the quality of a triple A studio on a smaller scale. It's the best Uncharted game since UC2.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nentindo

nentindo

Oct 25, 2017
Then I'll double down on TEW2 because it's amazing. Feels like Twin Peaks meets Silent Hill meets TLOU meets RE4. The open-ish world lets you tackle the game the way you want and gives it a very cool "horror vignette" vibe of you tracking down these oddities and experiencing the game on your own terms. It's also a perfect blend of Japanese and western design.

do i need to know much about the first or can i go in cold?

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Super Mario Odyssey. It's not a matter of not yet played, but I just have no interest in Mario games.

Other than that, there are also some other games that I probably will never play, like Resident Evil 7, Prey, Wolfenstein 2, Cuphead, and Sonic Mania.

BlueBrand

Oct 28, 2017
If 20-30 hrs on the first run through is short to you, Hollow Knight is fantastic and is currently my goty.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
do i need to know much about the first or can i go in cold?

Go in cold. The first is kind of a jumble. You can read the wiki summary and get the idea. It's a completely separate sequel other than the initial setup for the premise of the game. Just know who Seb and Kidman are and what STEM is. It's an otherwise entirely new adventure.

Netto-kun

Oct 27, 2017
For me it's unfinished rather than unplayed. Games on my list so far are...

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Played around 35-40 hours. Got the Master Sword and even bought a house and built a village but uh...still haven't done any of the Divine Beasts.
Horizon: Zero Dawn: Played 10-15 hours. Not quite sure where I left off.
Yakuza Zero: Probably played around 10-15 hours and in chapter 4. Here I was planning to do stuffs but instead get disctracted by all these substories.

OP
OP
nentindo

nentindo

Oct 25, 2017
Go in cold. The first is kind of a jumble. You can read the wiki summary and get the idea. It's a completely separate sequel other than the initial setup for the premise of the game. Just know who Seb and Kidman are and what STEM is. It's an otherwise entirely new adventure.

awesome, thanks!

Oct 30, 2017
Spain
Man you really haven't played the 4 bigger goty contenders and you even want more?

Oh well, I'd say Wolfenstein is a must play too. I really liked Wonderboy The Dragon's Trap too.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Zelda is my only one. I just bought a Switch and am playing Odyssey first but if people are right and Zelda is better than Odyssey, it will easily be my GOTY because Odyssey is currently the best game I've played this year. The other big games I played were Horizon Zero Dawn, Nioh, Uncharted, Destiny 2, and Crash Bandicoot.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
I have yet to play:
  1. Horizon Zero Dawn (Own it, just been busy with other games)
  2. Cuphead (Need to buy it on PC)
  3. Resident Evil 7 (Will play it in VR once i buy it).

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda BOTW
Mario Odyssey
Assassins Creed Origin
Persona 5
Nioh
Prey
Nier

Feels really bad...

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
I have two GOTY games on my list right now...

1. GTS
2. Destiny 2

Unplayable I can guess with the reception...

1. Zelda
2. Mario
3. Horizon
4. NiER