• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Super Chuleta

Oct 30, 2017
I really enjoyed Little Nightmares, short horror adventure with a real satisfying ending. It also has some dlc which I haven't gotten around to but have high hopes.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lone Echo/Echo Arena

High barrier of entry, I know, but it really belongs in the conversation. It's a landmark title and the first truly great made-for-VR game. And even still, it's probably in third place for me right now, behind Persona 5 and Mario. Tough competition this year.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Steamworld Dig 2.

I didn't play the first game but the sequel is just FANTASTIC. It hooked me and I loved it until the end. The gameplay feels so good and all the mechanics are just so fun. Loved it.

Solidus

Oct 27, 2017
I'd still like to make time for Horizon and Nioh some day. Based on what I've read and watched, I'd like both, but 2017 has been too crazy.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I'm catching up on Yakuza 0 right now, but it deserves all the effusive praise it gets.

It is my first Yakuza game and I'm ready to dive into the entire series now.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Nier
Horizon
Cuphead
I plan to play Wolfenstein 2 dunno if it will happen this year tho
I played everything else

Bearbomb

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, my life the thread. I work 2 jobs and have a new born.

Unfinished
Zelda - Started on Wiiu and I have a switch now so I was going to switch over
Persona 5 - Played past the first dungeon and really do like it, just lack of time for me..

Unplayed (but may try to play at least some of each)
Yakuza 0 - I got this off of a friend for cheap, but haven't gotten a chance to start
Nier - This might be the next one I jump into!
RE7 - Lack of time and I really need to play this in the dark!
Horizon - Definitely am borrowing this off a friend!

nuchallenger

Oct 29, 2017
Are we seriously ignoring Dead Cells?

Also, Fire Pro Wrestling World.

I really need to get back to Yakuza 0.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I assume Horizon is one of those games that you started but was too long, OP. But I would suggest getting back to it. The game was terrific and definitely one of the best of the year.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot recommend Snake Pass strongly enough. So far it's neck and very long neck with SMO for my GOTY. It was just 50% off recently (I think the sale's over) but it's well worth even full price IMO.

Some previous thoughts I've shared on the game:

Man, I am so pleased with this game... when I first heard about it I was quite eager and then I saw the control scheme and thought to myself, "I am really never going to get the hang of that." I watched the "how to play" video at the time but knew I wasn't going to be playing it very soon so expected there to be a significant learning curve and figured I'd give it a go when it went on sale. Sure enough it was on sale a few weeks back and when we wrapped up our latest progress towards 100%'ing Spot Goes to Hollywood (GOAT isometric platformer), we decided to get it a shot.

It was a rough go at the beginning, I can say. The regular controls have a steep learning curve to them. I tried to remember what I'd seen in the video and in GAF posts by wonderful people like Wozman23 and Neiteio, and to pay close attention to the game's very reasonable tutorial level, but I really struggled to wrap my head around the controls of wrapping the snake around a post.

After a few levels, something clicked and now I absolutely love the game. I think going for each collectible in every level before going on to the next level made the learning curve more difficult but also much much more doable in the long run. The collectibles are also some of the greatest fun to be had in the 7 or so levels we've played so far. I feel like I got more proficient at vertical poles then horizontal poles. I figure it will depend person to person on how their mind carries out spatial reasoning or something. I still have some trouble with movement at times but I really feel like I'm getting there and with its beautifully unique control scheme I feel like I'm learning a new skill or new way to use my brain or something, it's difficult to put into words.

On the whole, I'm finding the game to be a relaxing almost zen-like experience. The level design is genius and diverse and it has a great feel of a modern collectathon to it.

The music is amazing, too, and I never get sick of it even playing a course for an hour. Also the game itself is lovely on the Switch docked, and the characters are adorable and excellently designed.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Haven't completed Horizon or played too much of it, South Park has a good reception but I haven't played it either. I'm really loving Assassin's Creed Origins despite thinking the series lost its touch many entries ago, don't know if its game of the year worthy because it has some flaws that are pretty annoying. Currently my frontrunners are Zelda, Wolfenstein II, Destiny 2, Mario, Persona 5, and The Evil Within 2. Could see Call of Duty or Battlefront II taking home a nomination if they live up to the hype.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Hollow Knight is ~10€ atm on steam sale, if you can grab it op. Way more than 20h though. Still haven't finished it but so far it's easily my goty together with Horizon.

Personally I'm waiting for some good sales for Nier Automata and Steamworld Dig 2 (played the first one recently and it was fun altough a bit too simplistic, the sequel seems much better).