• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Unreal Engine 4.21: Major improvements for Nintendo Switch and Linux now defaults to Vulkan renderer

Nov 8, 2018
This is good news, I'm excited to see what wizards at epic will do next regards the Switch? Seems to be a cobstabc optimisation process.

Wonder if this will affect MP4? (If runorr are correct).

Tain

Oct 25, 2017
What is Niagara and is this a big thing for Switch to have Niagara support?
It's a better (by all accounts I've seen) workflow for the creation of particle effects. Nicer tools for developers, not something obvious on the player's side.

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Don't joke about that. Please.
I mean, given Square Enix's track record, it's a fair prediction. Last night made many more people aware of just how mismanaged a company like Square Enix can be.

Linux defaulting to Vulkan is pretty big. Hope that this, coupled with Proton, helps kick the Linux gaming scene up a bit in popularity.

OP
OP
plebc
Jan 7, 2018
Too bad it's hard to upgrade already existing and games that are currently in development to newer versions of the engine.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Too bad it's hard to upgrade already existing and games that are currently in developing to newer versions of the engine.
It would be nice if Epic could somehow made that upgrading transition easier. Because I have definitely had experience with it and it's surprising how much work can get lost in a simple version upgrade.

Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice if Epic could somehow made that upgrading transition easier. Because I have definitely had experience with it and it's surprising how much work can get lost in a simple version upgrade.
that's any engine though. sometimes optimizations mean complete changes to how things are done. "easy transitions" just aren't possible

Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Well then! Have I got news for you!

Expect it to be THE go-to engine on Switch for most 3rd parties going forward.

Yeah, and these games all have great style too! I really would love to see some company make a switch exclusive game that attempts to be mature in visuals and tone like Dark Souls Remastered and other ports. Hopefully Metroid Prime 4.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and these games all have great style too! I really would love to see some company make a switch exclusive game that attempts to be mature in visuals and tone like Dark Souls Remastered and other ports. Hopefully Metroid Prime 4.
that takes a lot of faith. one that non-indie third parties don't have. personally, I'd love to see a bespoke FPS for the switch. handheld FPS have been an interesting development, especially ones for more unique hardware (essentially anything up to vita)