1. plebc

plebc
    Member OP

2. Dragon Quest XI S is never coming out.

3. skittzo0413

skittzo0413

Or maybe it just won't support Niagara effects.

4. T002 Tyrant

T002 Tyrant
    Banned Member

This is good news, I'm excited to see what wizards at epic will do next regards the Switch? Seems to be a cobstabc optimisation process.

Wonder if this will affect MP4? (If runorr are correct).

5. Dekuman

Dekuman

What is Niagara and is this a big thing for Switch to have Niagara support?

6. Ikouros

Ikouros

Particle system. It's fairly powerful and efficient, but to what extents you will see it used in games on Switch I do not know.

7. MattB

MattB

For those asking.

8. Tain

Tain

It's a better (by all accounts I've seen) workflow for the creation of particle effects. Nicer tools for developers, not something obvious on the player's side.

9. saci

saci

Looking good.

Does the Switch support Vulkan?

10. Dekuman

Dekuman

Thanks!

11. The Switch's API is based off of Vulkan.

12. Herb Alpert

Herb Alpert

Lol
    I thought the exact same thing

13. Idolvo

Idolvo

Don't joke about that. Please.

14. Hey

Hey

Still waiting on unreal engine 5.

15. Unless they remake the whole game, they have no reason to go and re-do its particle effects using Niagara.
    I would hope at least.

16. JB2448

JB2448

I mean, given Square Enix's track record, it's a fair prediction. Last night made many more people aware of just how mismanaged a company like Square Enix can be.

Linux defaulting to Vulkan is pretty big. Hope that this, coupled with Proton, helps kick the Linux gaming scene up a bit in popularity.

17. Yes it does. It's one of the API options that developers have available to them on Switch.

18. Dark Knight

Dark Knight

Does this improve Fortnite's performance on Switch?

19. ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

Fortnite gets whatever updates Epic makes before the public (what these blog posts detail) gets them

20. Asbsand

Asbsand

That is amazing. I can't wait until someone actually starts building unique games for Switch with UE4 at this point.

21. Medalion

Medalion

22. Well then! Have I got news for you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Expect it to be THE go-to engine on Switch for most 3rd parties going forward.

23. plebc

plebc
    Member OP

Too bad it's hard to upgrade already existing and games that are currently in development to newer versions of the engine.

24. skittzo0413

skittzo0413

It would be nice if Epic could somehow made that upgrading transition easier. Because I have definitely had experience with it and it's surprising how much work can get lost in a simple version upgrade.

25. ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

that's any engine though. sometimes optimizations mean complete changes to how things are done. "easy transitions" just aren't possible

26. Asbsand

Asbsand

Yeah, and these games all have great style too! I really would love to see some company make a switch exclusive game that attempts to be mature in visuals and tone like Dark Souls Remastered and other ports. Hopefully Metroid Prime 4.

27. StrapOnFetus

StrapOnFetus

28. ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

that takes a lot of faith. one that non-indie third parties don't have. personally, I'd love to see a bespoke FPS for the switch. handheld FPS have been an interesting development, especially ones for more unique hardware (essentially anything up to vita)