• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is running on a single 1080Ti. This behind the scene look shows a fully interactive world.

Crazy to think next gen games could look like this.

sm.01.750.jpg

Rebirth-Quixel-Unreal-Engine-4-672x372.jpg

Florin4k4

Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Never understood chromatic aberration. Like, who thinks "yeah, lets turn this all the way up to make this scene look better"?!

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do these really look different to you from existing photogrammetry focused games like battlefront 1?

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
This is running on a single 1080Ti. This behind the scene look shows a fully interactive world.

Crazy to think next gen games could look like this.

sm.01.750.jpg

Rebirth-Quixel-Unreal-Engine-4-672x372.jpg

Just worth noting, the "fully interactive" bit is kind of bullshit. I mean it's not, but it's not representative of the scene as a whole:

In simple terms, everything looks so photorealistic because that's what it is - scanned 3D. It's literally a series of photos and depth information stitched together. It looks great, but naturally it's inherently rigid. Those rocks in the video that are rolling around are physics objects, probably photo scanned too, but not part of the adjacent scans.

Vanishing of Ethan Carter is a great example of this being used in retail games.

The sacrifice is interactivity, but depending on the type of game you're making, that might not be a serious problem.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
That is quite impressive for folk that look for ultra realistic graphics in their games or movies

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
given how well this runs on a 1080Ti, I'd like to seem this run with ray tracing. they showed a version of it at GDC

Feb 10, 2018
I feel like Battlefield 1, 5 and Battlefront 2 already come really damn close with their photogrammetry.

Yes, well said.
Even battlefront from 3.5yrs ago is not to far off.
And a 1080ti level of performance is what most people expect from next gen, so this will be possible and even better as the tech matures.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Quixel is just head and shoulders above everyone else at what their doing. Such an impressive company.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Saw this the other day. It's fucking bonkers. I truly see nothing that tells me that isn't real. If PS5/Xbox Next look anywhere near this I'll be blown away.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Games are still being designed the ancient CPUs in the current gen systems and with a base of the original Xbox One. I think people will be surprised (like they always are) at the jump into next gen. Do people think that next gen is just going to be this gen in native 4k?

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Cool thing is: these kinda environments retain their look even when their polycount is reduced to shit. I worked on a couple of photogrammetry projects and they still looked amazing on my phone.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
This looks awesome. It's always funny when someone says that graphics technology isn't making a huge jump each gen. It is. Go back to a PS3 game and compare it to Horizon in 4k. It's night and day. Next gen is going to be ridiculous. I can't wait.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Are these things not running on super duper doped up machines?

Next-gen consoles won't be that jacked up, no?

It's unknown, but it will almost certainly be able to produce those same results, as has been the case for last-gen consoles compared to PC technology from the generation before.

mdzapeer

May 8, 2018
Anyone remember that snake oil salesman technology from a few years back which was gonna revolutionize graphics.....saying unreal engine is dead. Looking back it was such a scam.

In the art direction and good gameplay will always win out.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There will certainly be games next generation that look like this

Particularly 1st party

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Well, that's not that far from what we are playing today on PC, so I can easily see it.