• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
The Coalition must be pleased with these updates. But also must be like "damn it we spent 6 months working on an optimization to handle foliage with our lumen usage!"

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
I thought posting this here would be the most appropriate. The below twitter thread demonstrates Lumen and Nanite running in VR on UE 5.1, which is extremely impressive.

View: https://twitter.com/iBrews/status/1562543743504244737?s=20&t=LZVpieZYTGVIv5lGGvKWKQ

Thanks for the post. I'm about to start a new VR project soon and have been trying to keep an eye on VR development for UE5. Waiting to see when will be the right time to jump over to 5 for VR.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
šŸ

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9paHxiFW5_0

Nanite foliage is looking just as good as I dreamed. We may finally see some proper forests in games.

bildschirmfoto2022-10wrcte.png

I wanna see a field of Nanite grass too tbh.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
šŸ
Finally got to messing around with this and the results are as good as I dreamed.

Performance is 10 fps higher with Nanite on as well. Give me a Crysis on UE5 now. It's time to kill LODs.

Edit: Whoa, I enabled Nanite for everything and FPS went from around 60 to more then 100fps.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Finally got to messing around with this and the results are as good as I dreamed.

Performance is 10 fps higher with Nanite on as well. Give me a Crysis on UE5 now. It's time to kill LODs.

Edit: Whoa, I enabled Nanite for everything and FPS went from around 60 to more then 100fps.
What about shader compilation stutter? Is it gone? That's the most important part. 100 FPS doesn't mean anything if the game is constantly stopping

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What about shader compilation stutter? Is it gone? That's the most important part. 100 FPS doesn't mean anything if the game is constantly stopping
If this is in editor, shaders are compiled upon loading the project. The project will have to be compiled into an executable and tested fresh to determine this. And it might still have it because since there's not immediate auto-precompilation step added to ue5 yet

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
People cheering about 60fps Lumen are in for a rude awakening.

My prediction is that 60fps Lumen will be a massive downgrade from 30fps. Like seriously noticable and those cheering for it will be switching back to 30fps lumen or atleast begging developers to go back to high res static offline lightmaps instead.

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
Why cant they do the same as Detroit: Become Human and just run a 6 min shader compile load screen like so manh others?
Even if it took 30 mins its still better than the alternative and should atleast be an option.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
I'll praise them when I see results in game. Before that point I'll continue to rake them over the coals for ruining a generations worth of pc ports.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022
People cheering about 60fps Lumen are in for a rude awakening.

My prediction is that 60fps Lumen will be a massive downgrade from 30fps. Like seriously noticable and those cheering for it will be switching back to 30fps lumen or atleast begging developers to go back to high res static offline lightmaps instead.
Hyperbole if I ever saw it.
The differences will be so minute that outside of tech analysis channels, nobody will be able to tell the difference, nor care about it.

They are optimizing around the "High" setting for Lumen, rather than the "Epic" setting.
The differences between those 2 in practice are very hard to notice, and one of them gives a significant boost to performance.

The only ones in for a rude awakening are the people who think they know this engine better than the people who built/develop it.

UE Engineers: We will get this running at 60fps on Console, and it will look stunning.
Arm-chair Developers: No you won't.

šŸ™„

Last edited:

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
Hyperbole if I ever saw it.
The differences will be so minute that outside of tech analysis channels, nobody will be able to tell the difference, nor care about it.

They are optimizing around the "High" setting for Lumen, rather than the "Epic" setting.
The differences between those 2 in practice are very hard to notice, and one of them gives a significant boost to performance.

The only ones in for a rude awakening are the people who think they know this engine better than the people who built/develop it.

UE Engineers: We will get this running at 60fps on Console, and it will look stunning.
Arm-chair Developers: No you won't.

šŸ™„
Refers to my Comment as Hyperbole and then instantly makes a blatant Hyberbolic statement...ok.

"Optimizing around the high setting" You do know what optimizing means? not only is the high setting aimed at the 30fps mode the epic setting you mentioned is only for PC UE5. By3 optimizing tbe high mode they will be decresing its fidelity. The standard lumen even as is shows some small noticeable shortcoming in certain situations. Those artifacts will become far more recognizable at 60fps. My prediction is very noticable light leaks will acure and it wont be just DF and the like that notice either.

When did I say i knew better than epic? Like what? It was a prediction.

By the way Ive been a pretty big fanboy of Epic since UE3 was announced. Ive always defended them against those making ridiculas claim about there software coming from armchair exsperts who never even made anything in UDK or UE post UE4. My distrust of the quality of console 60fps lumen has everything to do with the lack of power of the consoles and not aimed at UE/Epic.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Does Lumen support different setting per light, or is it an engine-wide switch? You could use the faster version on user-controlled dynamic lights (like a flashlight), and the slower, better version for more static lights like the sun or other fixed artificial lights where the extra time to compute won't really be seen by the player.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.unrealengine.com

Unreal Engine 5.1 is now available!

Find out how this latest release makes the groundbreaking feature set released in Unreal Engine 5 more robust, efficient, and versatile.

It's up !
lumen-night-scene-in-unreal-engine-5-1-1920x1080-72cbcd64584e.jpg
curse you, I thought we had a more dedicated thread for UE5.1 so I was late!

Does Lumen support different setting per light, or is it an engine-wide switch? You could use the faster version on user-controlled dynamic lights (like a flashlight), and the slower, better version for more static lights like the sun or other fixed artificial lights where the extra time to compute won't really be seen by the player.
you can control which light contributes to the Lumen RT

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
I wonder if games that started development on UE 5.0 could easily make the transition to 5.1, or would this be a case where only games that start development in 5.1 will benefit?

Either way, I'm excited to see the massive improvements with Lumen and Nanite. I know the coalition is happy lol.

I wonder how close we are to having skinned meshes using Nanite?

Another random question, with an increasing number of developers moving over to UE, are mesh shaders ever going to be relevant?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if games that started development on UE 5.0 could easily make the transition to 5.1, or would this be a case where only games that start development in 5.1 will benefit?

Either way, I'm excited to see the massive improvements with Lumen and Nanite. I know the coalition is happy lol.

Another random question, with an increasing number of developers moving over to UE, are mesh shaders ever going to be relevant?
if a game is early enough, they could probably move.

I've seen devs say skinned meshes isn't a problem for mesh shaders, don't know about nanite though

and UE5 does use mesh shaders for super-pixel triangles when using nanite

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017

It's not always a straightforward process to upgrade engine versions, but going up one minor version isn't usually a big deal.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA

In theory, not a huge deal. In practice, it's a huge "it depends". End of the day, it's still work - and hinges enormously on how far along something is.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Woo! nice!

Now we just need to make sure devs update their UE versions when these features are available to use.

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
Mostly curious if this is more VR ready or not and if it's time I jump my project from 4.27 to 5.1

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Qualcomm shown off ray traced shadows and ray traced reflections for UE5 on a mobile SoC at sub 5W. since 5.1 doesn't mention it, it might be a future update

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
šŸ
Nice to be honest, pretty short time frame between preview and the final version. Hope this version is sufficient for devs to start shipping games on it.

Juturna

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Forgive my ignorance, but what is looking like the first UE5 game to ship, either on PC or console?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A new PSO precaching mechanism was introduced as Experimental in 5.1 to improve PSO hitching in DX12 titles. Improvements to this system in 5.2 include:
  • We've improved the performance and stability of the system. There were various corner cases that needed to be addressed.
  • We now skip drawing objects if their PSOs aren't ready yet. The system aims to have the PSO ready in time for drawing, but it will never be able to guarantee this. When it's late, it is now possible to skip drawing the object instead of waiting for compilation to finish (and hitching).
  • The number of PSOs to precache has been reduced due to improved logic that omits ones that will never be used.
  • We've improved the old (manual) PSO cache system so that it can be used alongside precaching.