• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I can't believe what I'm seeing here.
I still don't know how well this meshes with soft bodies and in typical gameplay situations but this is one of the biggest milestones we've seen in many years.

Deleted member 10675

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid
OK how do I do that.. The splash screen loads in 5 seconds loll

Thnx
vFtKuxo.png

imapioneer

Oct 27, 2017
forum.beyond3d.com

Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

The specular reflections are pretty rough as I am seeing right now, but pretty interesting! SDF reflections are the most expensive on smooth surfaces since engine has to cast more cones/rays on mirror surfaces, this is actually opposite to HW RT reflections where the rought reflections are the...

Runs at native 4k 40 fps on 3080 by ·cukos on B3D

ue5_18ykbq.jpg

ue5_2amjke.jpg
Wow this is just beauty

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't the PS5 and Series X around RTX2070?
Same thing really or in the same ballpark( without DLSS )

Okay i give up... i forgot that you need to install all SDK's and Visual Studio and all of that to build the project... and i can't do that on my living room rig while controlling everything with a gamepad, cancelled download.

I hope some kind soul without datacaps and other unfortunate bullshit will upload production build somewhere or posts a link if it's already available 😭

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
This was one of the more interesting quotes from the video:

Sounds like it may be a good alternative to DLSS for AMD in the short term. In, as DF calls it, "Post resolution" era, this feels like a massive boon for distributing processing power elsewhere other than pushing raw pixels. Questions then are:

• Does this work with dynamic resolution scaling?
  • Was the demo we were privy to today ran at 1080p?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
A. It's a UE5 engine feature which will work on any GPU supporting SM5.
B. It won't be out in the "short term" since the UE5 preview is late 2021 and first projects using the engine are unlikely before 2023.

A. What is SM5?
B. Don't hurt me like that :'( . And by short term, I meant an alternative to DLSS for AMD chips before another more efficient or as efficient process competes with it for similar result down the line.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
A. What is SM5?
B. Don't hurt me like that :'( . And by short term, I meant an alternative to DLSS for AMD chips before another more efficient or as efficient process competes with it for similar result down the line.
Shader Model 5.0, roughly equal to DX11 GPUs i.e. GF400/500 and RHD 5000/6000 (note the "HD" instead of "RX").

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
A. What is SM5?
There are already multiple temporal upscaling techniques out there.

Not sure how efficient they are compared to Epics, or DLSS for that matter.. I don't know of any good comparisons, I don't think there are games w/ DLSS that also have other TAAU options.

The big thing about one being built into UE5 would be it would be available for all; whether it compares well against the exact same game using DLSS might be harder to determine.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Realistically, how much faster do we really need to go in a game that needs this close level of detail? This speed seems perfectly fine for, let's say, an Ace Combat title - even then that would be such a waste of resources.

It can't be stressed enough moving to mesh shaders is allowing for things we use to make fun of when they were being claimed. I don't think anyone saw this as as solution to drawcalls until basically the last year or two.

Youtube is full of videos that get in to, try to find something light it's pretty damn amazing what this or ray tracing can do when wielded in inventive manners.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Shader Model 5.0, roughly equal to DX11 GPUs i.e. GF400/500 and RHD 5000/6000 (note the "HD" instead of "RX").

Gotcha, thank you.

There are already multiple temporal upscaling techniques out there.

Not sure how efficient they are compared to Epics, or DLSS for that matter.. I don't know of any good comparisons, I don't think there are games w/ DLSS that also have other TAAU options.

The big thing about one being built into UE5 would be it would be available for all; whether it compares well against the exact same game using DLSS might be harder to determine.

Thank you.

The only upscaling techniques or rather reconstruction methods I am aware of are Checkerboarding in HZD (among many others) and Temporal Injection (most notably by Insomniac in Spider-man).

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
Excuse me? People on ResetEra told me that the original demo was only possible because of PS5's SSD. Why would someone lie on the internet?

The Editor loads data into (a shitload of) RAM, not really comparable to a live game situation on a limited RAM pool. There is a reason the editor requires 64 Gigabytes of RAM on PC.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
The only upscaling techniques or rather reconstruction methods I am aware of are Checkerboarding in HZD (among many others) and Temporal Injection (most notably by Insomniac in Spider-man).
Temporal injection is a similar technique under a different name. UE5's TSR will likely produce very similar results.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotcha, thank you.

Thank you.

lots of devs are turning to make their own TAAU it seems. 4A built their own with Metro Exodus, for example

trying out Lumen, it seems that it's only screen space, which is pretty weak for enclosed environments it seems. also it builds up very slowly on my pc for whatever reason. I have it set to hardware RT since I have a 3060Ti.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Temporal injection is a similar technique under a different name. UE5's TSR will likely produce very similar results.

Aha! Merci beacoup.

lots of devs are turning to make their own TAAU it seems. 4A built their own with Metro Exodus, for example

trying out Lumen, it seems that it's only screen space, which is pretty weak for enclosed environments it seems. also it builds up very slowly on my pc for whatever reason. I have it set to hardware RT since I have a 3060Ti.

It will be interesting to see how result pans out once the next gen ver. of Exodus are available in retail.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
The Editor loads data into (a shitload of) RAM, not really comparable to a live game situation on a limited RAM pool. There is a reason the editor requires 64 Gigabytes of RAM on PC.

Exactly by iroboto on B3D

forum.beyond3d.com

Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

pretty harsh performance on a 1070 -- building the project now. lol almost threw up on drone mode, controls exactly like IRL drone, was thinking it was going to respond like a standard ghost camera in a game

So this is how it's handled in the editor if you have a slow HDD like I do. The editor can't instant flash, so it's just going through loading everything into VRAM before continuing.

I had a couple stutters like this as well when first loading, but once it's in memory, stuttering will go away generally. Performance is still bad on a 1070 however. By bad, as in, I don't like it=P Probably less than 30 it feels like, but I could be wrong. IT's also very blurry in motion, the temporal is pretty intense.

A lot of etc, effects load JIT the first time they appear.
I'm setup is struggling here. I don't know if you can get away with a slow HDD and play through fully without seeing a hiccup

gT25PHnl.jpg

No Lumen is not fully screen space it use signal distance field raytracing it raytrace on a simplified representation of the scene and screen space raytracing.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
I also wonder if Nanite and Lumen in particular are going to entice devs that normally use and maintain their own engine to switch to UE5? Or will they try to replicate the technology on their own engines? I have no concept of how difficult they were to build. I know there's stuff out there already for lighting solutions as well as stuff like simplygon for decimation and LODs but this seems like it's on another level
I think there are going to be some tough decisions to be made. UE2/3 drove many developers to create their own engines, as the royalty cut Epic was asking at the time was massive and enough to make an otherwise profitable project become unprofitable. For companies at scale like EA, Ubisoft, etc, it made sense to build their own engines. But now, the amount of investment that Epic is able to put into UE due to the success of Fortnite... I have a feeling for companies like EA and UBI to keep up will require a significant investment.

Not only that, but the UE community is just bigger, and hiring for UE talent is going to be easier than hiring for your own custom engine.

This is all just pure speculation on my end, but I've always thought that after UE reduced the royalty fee, over time the bigger third party devs would start to step away from building their own engines. A generational leap like we see with UE5 will accelerate it.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
even with non-emissive lights the whole screen space lighting is pretty ugly. I must be missing something here

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Excuse me? People on ResetEra told me that the original demo was only possible because of PS5's SSD. Why would someone lie on the internet?

Well... I do wonder if the windows filecache is having an effect here. If there's enough RAM available and the files had been loaded due to a previous run, or editor run, or from a write-cache during installation, you might not be seeing what really happens when data has to come in off the hard drive.

I was seeing the same behaviour on low IO drives, but, when I reduced system RAM to <8GB free (should be no problem if the footprint is 3-4GB), and again used my lowest speed drive (125MB/s), this was the result after a bit of traversal:

wRMF4Ce.png

With it taking double digit seconds to resolve to normal detail. The same drive was fine with more RAM free, even though the application itself wasn't using more than 3-4GB, so I can only assume the windows file cache was saving the day previously.

(125MB/s might be very low - if someone wants me to test another super-low-IO/RAM situation but with something better, let me know!)

Last edited:

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Well... I do wonder if the windows filecache is having an effect here. If there's enough RAM available and the files had been loaded due to a previous run, or editor run, or from a write-cache during installation, you might not be seeing what really happens when data has to come in off the hard drive.

I was seeing the same behaviour on low IO drives, but, when I reduced system RAM to <8GB free (should be no problem if the footprint is 3-4GB), and again used my lowest speed drive (125MB/s), this was the result after a bit of traversal:

wRMF4Ce.png

With it taking double digit seconds to resolve to normal detail. The same drive was fine with more RAM free, even though the application itself wasn't using more than 3-4GB (there was >20% RAM free), so I can only assume the windows file cache was saving the day previously.

(125MB/s might be very low - if someone wants me to test another super-low-IO/RAM situation but with something better, let me know!)

Ah ok, so magic SSD still required. Got it.

Slammey

Mar 8, 2018
Worked!

3090 with 5950x and 32gb

Runs between 40 and 60 fps

Can we change resolution and use hardware RtX on the demo?

Thx

Deleted member 10675

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
I also wonder if Nanite and Lumen in particular are going to entice devs that normally use and maintain their own engine to switch to UE5? Or will they try to replicate the technology on their own engines? I have no concept of how difficult they were to build. I know there's stuff out there already for lighting solutions as well as stuff like simplygon for decimation and LODs but this seems like it's on another level
I would hope so.

It seems like devs who have to use in-house engines are doomed to less efficient workflows, unless the in-house engines have the ability to adapt like UE4/UE5.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
I would hope so.

It seems like devs who have to use in-house engines are doomed to less efficient workflows, unless the in-house engines have the ability to adapt like UE4/UE5.
the main difference that comes to mind for me, is that developers that maintain their own engines can focus specifically on the needs of the project, rather than the catch-all generalist approach UE itself maintains, but the question still remains yeah - will it be fast enough AND as good? Chances are...most of the time, no. But it's a hell of a lot cheaper than licensing UE for a bigger title, I'd imagine.

Nov 2, 2017
Nah, they're around RTX2080 level if you take optimization into account.
They can't be both around the same card though, given the gap between the consoles.

You can't really make a generalized statement about this anyway. It differs from engine to engine. Some engines and workloads just run better on Nvidia and others run better on AMD. If you use raytracing AMD falls behind for example with the more raytracing the worse they compare against Nvidia. That's why you have games where the 2060 can keep up with the XSX where in others you need a 2080, usually pure raster games.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
So after going through the published documentation here's a quick summary on Lumen and RT usage, feel free to correct me if something's wrong:
  • Lumen does GI and reflections.
    • Base quality level is fully shader based and will run on all DX11 capable GPUs.
      • GI is done via conetracing into the SDF representation of the scene. Results are cached (in "cards") and accumulated temporally. Seem to be working in near field only with far field falling back to SSGI?
        • Can't be accelerated with DXR 1.1 h/w as of now.
      • Reflections are done via conetracing (into the SDF representation of the scene?) with significant help from SSR.
        • Can't be accelerated with DXR 1.1 h/w as of now.
    • Advanced quality level taps into RT h/w and thus requires DX12U GPUs.
      • RT GI is done by triangle RT in this case, with Nanite meshes being traced against their "proxies" which are simplified meshes (potentially can be 100% of original quality though?). Far field GI is falling back to SSGI too?
      • RT reflections aren't implemented in Lumen yet but there's the old option of using RT reflections from UE4 for now. Will likely be added to Lumen in a similar fashion as h/w RT GI later. Will likely use SSR too to help with tracing against Nanite meshes and alpha transparencies (among other things).
        • In fact I think that Lumen reflections will basically start requiring RT h/w at some point since it's very likely impossible to produce "ideal" reflections (glass, mirrors, calm water, etc.) with conetracing.
  • Shadows are done via REALLY LARGE shadow maps (16Kx16K) which are being loaded as needed in 128x128 chunks - which is why they call them Virtual Shadow Maps.
    • Such shadow map size takes care of smaller and removed from shadow caster details which shadow maps usually miss. (Not sure that I like this approach as it seems a bit brute force and chosen for compatibility reasons mostly.)
    • They use shader based RT to filter VSM penumbras by shooting rays to measure the distance from the light source to the shadow map region.
      • Can't be accelerated with DXR 1.1 h/w as of now?
So basically Lumen (+shadows) seems like a mash-up of shader based RT targeting non-RT h/w for compatibility reasons (performance seem to be low enough to not be the main reason here). Lumen is the most performance intensive new feature, requires about twice the amount of frametime when compared to Nanite and will be the most likely reason why games will run slower when ported from UE4 to UE5.

It is apparent that they've started bolting RT h/w usage to Lumen already but it seem like early days I'd say. And it makes you wonder if at some point we'll see a UE 5.5 where they'll drop DX11 h/w support altogether and what that would mean for all the s/w based conetracing into SDFs and such approaches.

Last edited:

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon
Well, after several hours with UE5 on 5700xt I can say that Lumen is great. Once the distance fields are generated correctly for the meshes everything works wonderfully. GI is good, precise, with manageable levels on noise. Very-very impressed overall. Overall it's an interesting combination of screen-space effects and scene proxies that it uses. Basically it actually uses 2 scene proxies: the mesh distance fields and a so-called "lumen scene".

Last edited: