• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Can we talk about how ugly and outdated and unprofessional Unreal Engine's logo looks in 2019?

It looks like something stuck in the 90's. Most companies have updated their logos to be slick and clean-looking, adopting simple recognizable shapes with usually only 2 shades.

You boot up Octopath Traveler for example, and you see this:

square-enix_logo1.jpg

Good, clean, slick, flat, professional.

Then you see this (on black, not white):

Acquire_12-04_New-Logo.jpg

Good, clean, slick, flat, professional.

And then you see this:

fetch

YEARGH WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS.

It looks like what tech companies thought was cool in the 90's, and even then it wasn't cool. It looks like a metal kid trying to be edgy.

And then it's followed up by what one would expect a technology logo to look like. Something to follow as an example:

4458676935_6695e8c306.jpg

Ahhh. Now this looks good, clean, slick, professional.

Is it just me who finds that Unreal Engine's logo clashes horribly with current visual trends? It looks goddamn horrid. What will it take for them to give it a modern refresh that doesn't make it look like what an amateur came up with in Photoshop in the 90's?

There's a reason mostly all companies went from this:

latest
to this:
600px-Electronic-Arts-Logo.svg.png

Why won't you do the same Epic??? You look out of place!

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
That isn't their preferred logo anymore as of 2014, this is
https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/branding

QLQiFqK.png

Looking to implement the Unreal Engine logo in your UE4-powered project or marketing materials? You can access approved Unreal Engine logos here. The preferred logo is shown below.

In fact, with the branding materials they provide, the old one you posted in the OP isn't even there.

Blame Square for using the old one? idk? Seems like a weird thing to make a thread over.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
You're over reacting.

Sure, it's not as sleek as other modern logos, but come on.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I would say I agree, but the logo looking how it does is essentially the last piece of the Unreal Game franchise that consistently exists. If that logo is changed, might as well not call it unreal engine anymore either.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
Being in the world of professional broadcast I become internally excited every time I see videos showcasing the Unreal Engine for live broadcasting purposes. I see the logo or hear the name and am instantly reminded of gibing fools in the mid 2000s. So, I like the logo and it's history!

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Good for them. It stick out, this minimalist logo trend is kinda boring IMO, I miss the 90s and early 2000s over-the-top logos

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
It's pretty simple & clean. Go submit your own design to them OP. If it's as bad as you think it is you'll come up with something better, right?

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The old Konami logo is better than the new one. No, I'm not referring to Ultra Games.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Every Unreal Engine 4 game I have played uses that horrid blue logo with the shades and the specularity and all that trash. It's not even consistent across time, the one for Unreal Engine 3 was red.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Derogatory Meme
I actually agree.

Last edited:

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah why be unique, just like be like everyone else, that's called innovation.....

Fuck that.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
They do allow minor redesigns to fit the aesthetic of your game, actually
Do they? Got any examples? I know Unity and YoYo Games are super strict with that kind of stuff and get mad if you mess around with it (admittedly I tried doing so with my own game which is why I know so much about this).

It's probably handled on a case by case basis with them having to approve it.