• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pix

Oct 25, 2017
If you never played the original Unreal, now has never been a better time. Freebie will last for the next 48 hours

GOG
Steam

Last edited:

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
It's still a great game even today, this age/style of linear FPS level design is basically timeless IMO.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
I remember putting my original 3dfx through its paces with this.

How well do you guys think this will run on a built in intel hd graphics chipset if at all?

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I really want a remake of this game in unreal engine 4. The outside environments, castles and temples would look so good.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Just grabbed it, and it installed in a nanosecond. Thanks for the heads up OP! Never played this, despite loving UT. I remember buying Unreal 2 on the Xbox and being so disappointed in the game relative to Championship. I've heard Unreal 1 is fucking amazing though - and legendary, so looking forward to giving this a shot!

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Cool. Now I own a digital copy to last forever along with my physical copy which will eventually stop working at some point in the future due to disc rot.

Mixen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This game was fantastic back in the day. SO underrated. Still feels good to play. To bad Unreal 2 wasn't as good and that we never got 3.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
for free! and includes the expansion great. thanks

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
You know, while we're here, I'm currently undergoing a bit of a problem. Whenever I try to boot the game up or try to select a character skin, I get greeted with this error message.

I00i9GR.png

Game overall works fine, I have it set to the OpenGL renderer, I don't recall getting this before installing the 227i patch, but I don't feel comfortable knowing that it's not working at 100 percent.

Oct 24, 2017
Anyone had any luck with getting run at a playable speed? I'm not sure if it's the renderer I chose or what, but it runs terribly. And I can't seem to pick a new one, either. The game launches straight into the actual game. I'm on the GOG version, if that matters.

Hazelhurst

Oct 25, 2017
I remember putting my original 3dfx through its paces with this.

How well do you guys think this will run on a built in intel hd graphics chipset if at all?
Yep, one of the first games I tried out with my Voodoo 2 card. The reflections in that opening flyby were unlike anything I had ever seen. I bought this game when it originally came out and played about half of it with just a basic non-3dfx card, before getting my Voodoo 2 8MB. The difference was night and day.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Yep, one of the first games I tried out with my Voodoo 2 card. The reflections in that opening flyby were unlike anything I had ever seen. I bought this game when it originally came out and played about half of it with just a basic non-3dfx card, before getting my Voodoo 2 8MB. The difference was night and day.

Same. Remember the colored lighting on the Voodoo 2.

I also remember my roommate at my time going SLI to run Quake 2 at 1024x768 and HOLY SHITBALLS.

Oct 27, 2017
Sweet nostalgia, love the game, love the series. Will definitely give it another playthrough and cheers to 20 Years of Unreal.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Unreal 1 used to have 8 player online co-op and it was some of the most hilarious, trollish shit I've ever played. The game itself is cool with a great soundtrack, but it's also mostly a big mix of randomly themed levels. Great aesthetic and a good time.

score01

Oct 27, 2017

The reflections is the biggest wow thing I remember as well. I upgraded from a NEC PowerVR card that did no reflections. Didn't even realise what I was missing...

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Would be better if it was UT or UT2004, but i will take it.

UT is very cheap on GoG right now (€1.69)

Ontopic: really enjoying Unreal so far. It's been more than 15 years since I played it, but many levels still feel familiar for me. Especially that part in the mines where the lights go off one by one. That was such an amazing experience back then!

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Wow... better grab this at home. Still remember the day I had gotten voodoo2 sli and that Unreal castle intro was rendered in 1024x768... I'm sure i watched it loop for 20 minutes.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I got Unreal Tournament 99 the other day on Steam and just can't get it to work on Windows 8.1. It crashes instantly when I launch it. I'm bummed, I love this game it was my first FPS.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unreal was a pretty good game, though the campaign was not as memorable as the multiplayer, which was my first experience playing over the Internet btw. It's a piece of history that needs to be tried imho.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Great game!

Seeing it made me reinstall UT2004 editors edition.

Still probably my favourite arena shooter of all time.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Does it have assault mode like in UT2004?

Also do enemies explode messily from rockets again? I remember playing UT3 and being disappointed and feeling like a ton of steps back happened compared to 2004.

Its in Alpha. Currently it has blitz mode and death match. Though the game modes have changed from time to time (i believe).

But yes you explode in UT2018. Its similar to UT3 in that aspect. Personally I would like to see capture the node return.