• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unresolved mysteries with mysterious audio/text/picture/video evidence creep the fuck out of me. What are some of your favorite unresolved cases with mysterious clues?

Here are some examples.

OP
OP
Taki

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
I've always been curious why people say House of leaves have fucked them up

While I found the overall experience underwhelming, the stuff surrounding The Navidson Record is super compelling. A lot of the stuff that happens in the house is tied directly to a lot of my deepest fears.

OP
OP
Taki

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In 2014, Missy Bevers was killed in a church in Texas by an unidentified suspect wearing SWAT armor. CCTV in a church shows the suspect, dressed in SWAT gear, walking around the church in the morning - opening doors, waiting for the victim to come...

Oct 25, 2017
TIL of Kris Kremers and Lisanne Froon, Dutch students who died mysteriously in the jungles of Panama in 2014. Some belongings were found, bone fragments, a foot still inside a boot, and one of their cameras with over 500 photos.

https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/9hagdl/til_of_kris_kremers_and_lisanne_froon_dutch/

The photographs found on their camera: https://imgur.com/a/ITPQC

Police said 90 photographs were taken in the dark and are pitch black.

I don't think this one was that weird. They were probably using the flash as a way to see. Just seems like they decided to go walk around in the jungle without a guide and got lost. Didn't one of them get hurt also? That probably didn't help

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
It's almost 1 in the morning. I shouldn't but I'm gonna watch this stuff anyways.

OP
OP
Taki

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The disappearance of Jennifer Kesse:

Jennifer Kesse disappeared from her apartment in in Orlando, Fla., on January 24, 2006. On Jan. 26, 2006, Kesse's car was found abandoned at a condominium complex located roughly one mile down the road from where she lived. Valuables were found inside the vehicle, leading police to believe Kesse was not the victim of a robbery or carjacking.

Police received surveillance footage from the condo complex where Kesse's car was found. On the video, an unknown person can be seen parking the car and waiting approximately 30 seconds before exiting the vehicle and walking away without looking back. Despite intense media coverage of the video, the gender and identity of the driver remain a mystery. Prior to her disappearance, Jennifer Kesse had confided in friends that construction workers at her condominium made her feel uneasy.

The building was new when she moved in and only about half of the 200 units were occupied. Work was still being completed on the building and some of the workers were permitted to stay inside unoccupied units. There has long been speculation that one of those workers may have abducted Kesse as she left her apartment for work on the morning of January 24, 2006; however, no evidence has ever been found linking one of the workers to her disappearance. For seven long years, the search for Jennifer Kesse has gone on without a single break.

The suspect was caught by CCTV dropping off Jennifer Kesse's car off at a parking lot. Unfortunately, two metal rods on a gate obscured the face of the suspect. He/she is unidentified. Kesse is still missing to this day.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TIL of Kris Kremers and Lisanne Froon, Dutch students who died mysteriously in the jungles of Panama in 2014. Some belongings were found, bone fragments, a foot still inside a boot, and one of their cameras with over 500 photos.

https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/9hagdl/til_of_kris_kremers_and_lisanne_froon_dutch/

The photographs found on their camera: https://imgur.com/a/ITPQC

Police said 90 photographs were taken in the dark and are pitch black.

They were lost and trying to use the flash to see.

OP
OP
Taki

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a crazy one.

4 unarmed men were shot in the Indan Ocean. Even with witnesses and footage, however the case has never been solved.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unresolved...armed_men_were_shot_in_the_indian_ocean_even/

OP post summarized here:

In 2014, a taxi driver in Fiji found a cellphone on one of the seats in his taxi. With no knowledge of who left it or any identification of who the owner was, the taxi driver decides to investigate the phone himself to identify the owner. However, while looking at the gallery of the phone, he uncovered something terrifying.

The video was of 4 unarmed men holding onto a broken wooden boat for dear life while mariners on a different ship began firing at them. One of the victims holds his hands up for surrender, but is then shot in the head. The video goes on for 6 minutes, and 40 rounds later, all 4 men float dead on the water. Before the last man is shot, a voice on the opposite boat could be heard yelling, "Shoot, shoot, shoot!", before the crisis is over. After the men lay dead, the mariners on the boat begin laughing and turning around to take selfies. The video then ends.

But with witnesses, (especially the recorder themselves), however, the event was surprisingly never reported. No witnesses came forward, and the victims or the mariners were unidentified. Law enforcement didn't even know about the incident before it was leaked onto the Internet, where it got popular.

Under maritime law, mariners don't have to even report the incidents, due to their ships moving from port to port in international waters. Police were shocked when the video was shown. But with investigation, it was found that bodies, the identification of the victims, or the specific location was unknown, (it was found that the event took place in the Indian Ocean, which is the only hint we have). No government body has come forward to identify the mariners, and their identification was unknown.

Taiwanese fishing authorities have identified the broken boat as a typical Taiwanese fishing boat, but have chalked up the incident to a failed pirate takeover, which resulted in execution. However, maritime security officials have said that the excuse of piracy has been used to cover up many incidents such as this, and have said that this even could be the result of a mutinied crew, innocent local fishermen, stowaways, or thieves stealing owned fish/bait. Klaus Luhta, a lawyer within the International Organization of Masters, Mates, and Pilots said this:

"Summary execution, vigilantism, overzealous defense, call it what you will. This boils down just the same to a case of murder at sea and a question of why it's allowed to happen."​

OP
OP
Taki

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Thumbs up for creepy thumbnails.

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Oooh. I've been fascinated by the Somerton Man mystery for a long time. You should look that one up. Guy just shows up on a beach to lie down, people think he's a drunk, but a day later they find him dead in the same spot. The circumstances around his death are really weird and his identity was never officially identified either, I believe. He had a piece of paper with a cryptic message on it, and one of his possessions included a book with some cypher written inside — a little fuzzy on this last part but it was seriously creepy.

Here's a podcast on it that I enjoyed listening to:
https://pca.st/episode/d1725ba0-cec2-0133-2e9f-6dc413d6d41d

Last edited:

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Adding this thread to Watched list ... but no way I'm watching any of those vids at this time of the night.

OP
OP
Taki

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions. The Somerton Man is really fascinating. Didn't he have his fingers burned as well as to disguise fingerprints? Maybe a spy.

This channel is a goldmine.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the recs. I really like listening to this kinda stuff too. Not true crime necessarily but unsolved cases.

Also interesting but not necessarily murder: the Dyatlov Pass incident. A group of experienced Russian and Ukrainian hikers turns up dead, all strewn about far outside of their tents, and without any of their gear on in the middle of winter. One of the tents was ripped open from the inside. Causes of death were all hypothermia. Something scared them so much they didn't dare to return to their tents despite the freezing cold.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Taki

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The dude who ran out of the airport and was never seen again. Lars Mittank or something

Here's another one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Brianna_Maitland

Brianna Alexandra Maitland (October 8, 1986 – disappeared March 19, 2004) is an American teen who disappeared after leaving her job at the Black Lantern Inn in Montgomery, Vermont. Her car was discovered the following day, backed into the side of an abandoned house about a mile (1.6 km) away from her workplace. She has not been seen or heard from since. Due to a confluence of circumstances, several days passed before Maitland's friends and family reported her missing.

Brianna_Maitland.png

g7EMioy.jpg

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I remember a women that was found dead in a hotels water tower. The hotel was meant to be sketchy and there was freaky as hell footage of her getting on the elevator.

Can't remember her name.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I remember a women that was found dead in a hotels water tower. The hotel was meant to be sketchy and there was freaky as hell footage of her getting on the elevator.

Can't remember her name.

I vaguely recall this one but also that it might have been a hoax?

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Can't remember her name.
It was Elisa Lam, the vid was posted a few posts earlier. Poor lady.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
For those interested there's the Investigation discovery show Disappeared streaming on Hulu.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions. The Somerton Man is really fascinating. Didn't he have his fingers burned as well as to disguise fingerprints? Maybe a spy.

This channel is a goldmine.

This channel has been fucking me up for the last like three months. There are so many videos and I keep bingewatching them after work. The dude is legitimately one of the worst narrators I've ever seen be successful and the content feels samey after a while but it's so damn addicting and some of these are just fascinating.

OP
OP
Taki

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This channel has been fucking me up for the last like three months. There are so many videos and I keep bingewatching them after work. The dude is legitimately one of the worst narrators I've ever seen be successful and the content feels samey after a while but it's so damn addicting and some of these are just fascinating.

This channel makes me close my window blinds now.

Oct 25, 2017
The one with the woman supposedly getting kidnapped from a cruise ship and being sold into sex slavery is so weirdly fascinating,
(with supposed images captured of her later, also from a call girl ad or something)
zBUKVLvkq5PMx3PDFGB7YqOga3ZOJjm9PU0d1_oRtJs.jpg

Or the one from like Texas I think it was where they found a photo of a woman tied up that experts thought matched a missing woman but family disagreed(or the other way around)

I don't know what it is about them but they always make me legitimately want to start working the case like its one piece away from being cracked.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Taki

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The one with the woman supposedly getting kidnapped from a cruise ship and being sold into sex slavery is so weirdly fascinating,
(with supposed images captured of her later, also from a call girl ad or something)

Or the one from like Texas I think it was where they found a photo of a woman tied up that experts thought matched a missing woman but family disagreed(or the other way around)

I don't know what it is about them but they always make me legitimately want to start working the case like its one piece away from being cracked.
You're gonna be Jake Gyllenhal from Zodiac:

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
90% sure he is drunk and Canadian before filming.

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the recs. I really like listening to this kinda stuff too. Not true crime necessarily but unsolved cases.

Also interesting but not necessarily murder: the Dyatlov Pass incident. A group of experienced Russian and Ukrainian hikers turns up dead, all strewn about far outside of their tents, and without any of their gear on in the middle of winter. One of the tents was ripped open from the inside. Causes of death were all hypothermia. Something scared them so much they didn't dare to return to their tents despite the freezing cold.

The Dyatlov Pass incident seems to be pretty open and shut - their tents were found shredded because they were caught in an avalanche while they slept and had to cut their way out of them. This also explains the injuries some of them had sustained before death - pretty consistent with tons of snow hitting them out of nowhere. Some of their clothes and belongings were left with the tents when they escaped, and Paradoxical Undressing (to horribly oversimplify it, dying of cold makes you feel hot and try to strip off to cool down) explains the rest. There's usually mention of strange burns on the bodies, which the more conspiratorial point to as being evidence that they found or were exposed to something radioactive responsible for their deaths. This part is actually kind of true - sunburn is a thing at high altitude, especially since the atmosphere is thinner and they were completely exposed to it at the end.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The Dyatlov Pass incident seems to be pretty open and shut - their tents were found shredded because they were caught in an avalanche while they slept and had to cut their way out of them. This also explains the injuries some of them had sustained before death - pretty consistent with tons of snow hitting them out of nowhere. Some of their clothes and belongings were left with the tents when they escaped, and Paradoxical Undressing (to horribly oversimplify it, dying of cold makes you feel hot and try to strip off to cool down) explains the rest. There's usually mention of strange burns on the bodies, which the more conspiratorial point to as being evidence that they found or were exposed to something radioactive responsible for their deaths. This part is actually kind of true - sunburn is a thing at high altitude, especially since the atmosphere is thinner and they were completely exposed to it at the end.

If it were an avalanche it would indeed be an open and shut case, but there was no (conclusive) evidence of one having taken place around the site.

I've also heard of paradoxical undressing, but they didn't strip, from what I recall. They just left the tents undressed.

• The location of the incident did not have any obvious signs of an avalanche having taken place. An avalanche would have left certain patterns and debris distributed over a wide area. The bodies found within ten days of the event were covered with a very shallow layer of snow and, had there been an avalanche of sufficient strength to sweep away the second party, these bodies would have been swept away as well; this would have caused more serious and different injuries in the process and would have damaged the tree line.
  • Over 100 expeditions to the region were held since the incident, and none of them ever reported conditions that might create an avalanche. A study of the area using up-to-date terrain-related physics revealed that the location was entirely unlikely for such an avalanche to have occurred. The "dangerous conditions" found in another nearby area (which had significantly steeper slopes and cornices) were observed in April and May when the snowfalls of winter were melting. During February, when the incident occurred, there were no such conditions.
  • An analysis of the terrain, the slope and the incline indicates that even if there could have been a very specific avalanche that circumvents the other criticisms, its trajectory would have bypassed the tent. It had collapsed laterally but not horizontally.
  • Dyatlov was an experienced skier and the much older Alexander Zolotaryov was studying for his Masters Certificate in ski instruction and mountain hiking. Neither of these two men would have been likely to camp anywhere in the path of a potential avalanche.
  • Footprint patterns leading away from the tent were inconsistent with someone, let along a group of 9 people, running in panic from either real or imagined danger. In fact, all the footprints leading away from the tent and towards the woods were consistent with individuals who were walking at a normal pace.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident#Avalanche

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about, but I vaguely recall some video of a man opening a door in his home where you can see a woman tied up. People tried to identify the man and woman and determined the woman was a missing individual from years ago. The family was contacted and everything. But if I remember correctly the video was just some weird skit, the real missing woman was still missing, and the family was unnecessarily bothered by internet detectives. It was pretty sad. I think there was a thread on the other forum when the video first came out.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
The disappearance of the family of German tourists in Death Valley is a case I've always found unsettling.

info

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know how any of this can be entertaining. I watched two videos and all it did was make me paranoid and want to get a CCW permit. Fuck.