• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kami

Jul 13, 2020
User Warned: Self-promotion, obfuscating source to self-promote

stevivor.com

NBA 2K21 inserts unskippable ads into pre-game loading screens

2K has added unskipped ads into NBA 2K21 pre-game loading screens, Stevivor has today confirmed.

The current gen version of NBA 2K21 displays unskippable ads when loading into a match. You may remember the controversy over the same thing in 2k20.

It will be interesting to see if the next-gen versions have them with the faster loading times. They're also shown on 2KTV.

Last edited:

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Keep being the most horrible company, Take Two. They deserve to be raked over the coals the same way EA and Activision are, yet they keep getting away with this shit.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
"There hasn't been a price increase for frontline titles for a really long time, despite the fact that it costs a great deal more to make those titles," Zelnick noted. "And we think with the value we offer consumers...and the kind of experience you can really only have on these next-generation consoles, that the price is justified. But it's easy to say that when you're delivering extraordinary quality, and that's what our company prides itself on doing."

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
I fucking hate unskippable ads. YouTube is doing this shit too sometimes but a $70 game? Fuck off.

WillRobBanks

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This grinds my gears. I would refuse to play a game that did this out of principle (or would go out of my way to buy it used). Irrelevant as I play very few games and mostly Nintendo nowadays, but still.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
The future of gaming! If it won't be this direct, it will be like Death Stranding's ads and just woven into the very fabric of the game this coming gen!

s y

Nov 8, 2017
sports games are doomed. Every year they get shit on by the same people who preorder the gold/ultimate of next year's version

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Maybe they should offer a 2K Live subscription (nothing too expensive, maybe $2-$5 per month) that removed the ads.

N1corex

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Jun 7, 2020
I hated it in the last game but at some point i believe they let us turn ads off in the menu.

Oct 29, 2017
May have been asked but I wonder if the game is loading still at this point. Weird as duck considering the fast load experience on next Gen. wonder what happens if you suspend the game during the ad

Nov 27, 2017
California
That's why you don't pay retail for sports games
it was like $30 last week or during the finals and always goes on sale for Black Friday x the holidays

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
I fucking hate unskippable ads. YouTube is doing this shit too sometimes but a $70 game? Fuck off.
Youtube and Twitch. I'll take youtube's ads over twitch's tho.

The fact that we are going backwards on ads instead of forward shows that we need to be a bit boisterous with our complaints.

electristan

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
This is one of the reasons I'm happy to have setup a Pi-Hole, block these and other intruding ads. I just hope that it will then skip the down time and not just show a blank screen for 15s...

I pay for era and many other sites I use directly, would much rather have the option.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
People keep buying it in droves so...

If I was a cash-hungry exec, I'd be all about this because why the fuck not? There's zero real backlash from consumers.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
This. NBA Youtubers have the spine of Jell-O, and will complain about this while also contributing by buying the game and buying MTX.

I mean considering most of their livelihoods kinda depends on making content for the game i understand why, but as long as they remain critical on honest about the game, thats good enough for me, dont blame them, blame 2k.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
They do it because of the 10 million+ or however many copies of this game they sell every year, the number of people who this bothers is miniscule.