• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020
Copied via source: Supermassive Games has seemingly started development on a "new exciting and unannounced horror IP" based in Unreal Engine, featuring "gameplay spaces and locations to investigate, explore and survive," and "puzzle design and action-based gameplay."

earlier this month, we found that the company had an unannounced AAA multiplayer franchise based on Unreal Engine for PC and console platforms with "dark stories" and featuring third-person combat and "compelling puzzles" currently under development, according to a few job listings on the company's website. However, while the details mentioned in the job listings did suggest that the franchise would be a horror one, as is customary of Supermassive Games, it wasn't completely certain — that is, until now.

Earlier today, we came across another recently published job listing on the Supermassive Games website for the Mid-Level Game Designer position at the company's Guildford headquarters in the United Kingdom, the description for which reads, "We are looking for a talented and experienced Designer to join the team at Supermassive, to work on a new exciting and unannounced horror IP." Hence, this confirms that the previously speculated unannounced AAA multiplayer franchise is, in fact, a horror one.

Supermassive Games

Job listing for the Mid-Level Designer position at Supermassive Games' Guildford headquarters in the United Kingdom. | Source: Supermassive Games

Furthermore, it also seems like this unannounced horror franchise will be a survival horror one, as one of the responsibilities of the candidate mentions, "Create compelling gameplay spaces and locations to investigate, explore and survive." While this information isn't any confirmation, based on the details mentioned in this job listing and the former ones, it does seem like the company may likely have its own take on the Dead by Daylight franchise currently in development, considering that it is not only a survival horror game but also a multiplayer one. Although, this unannounced survival horror franchise will seemingly also feature a narrative experience to it, unlike Dead by Daylight.

Supermassive Games

Responsibilities for the Mid-Level Designer position at Supermassive Games' Guildford headquarters in the United Kingdom. | Source: Supermassive Games

In June, Supermassive Games released The Quarry, an interactive drama horror, which generally received favourable reviews, and with The Dark Pictures Anthology: The Devil in Me to be released in only a few weeks from now, it seems like the company doesn't want to delay development on more instalments and franchises anytime soon. Whether this unannounced survival horror franchise will actually live up to the expectations set by its predecessors or not, only time will tell.

What do you think about this? Do tell us your opinions in the comments below!

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Reminder that The Devil In Me is out this month! Horror videogames!

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Oh good, glad it's an exciting one. Would've been a shame if they were working on a boring one.

adam3s

Mar 17, 2021
Considering the studios output aren't they always working on an unannounced horror game?

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
They should make a Scream game that plays with the tropes of horror games, the way the movies play with the tropes of horror movies.

rObit

Oct 27, 2017
Oh good! I was worried they were working on an unannounced boring horror IP.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
It can't be!

Make The Thing already, Suppermassive, you and I know you're perfect for the job.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They could go back to making Little Big Planet DLC or crap Doctor Who tie ins.

Jokes aside, it's pretty clear that Supermassive hit the big time with Until Dawn and opted to make narrative driven horror their wheelhouse. Interested to see what the IP they are working with is.

For sure. It's a good wheelhouse for them provided they're given the time and budget to make it work.

Moldiver

Nov 1, 2017
Scotland
Fan of their games but I felt The Quarry took way too long to get going, I'll always check out what they put out though.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Supermassive's games just make me sad my friends don't speak English, it would be so much fun to play through them together.