• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I have no qualms with UGG winning GotY, but the Goose winning Best Character feels like much more of a meme thing.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Those are some weird choices in some categories... I'll never understand the hype for Control.

Biggest crime is nothing for Outer Wilds

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
All these ranting posts about "journalists" and press not playing, and memes being the only thing that wins. DICE is voted on my members of the industry, game developers and publishers. This isn't a fan vote. This is what game makers believed the game of the year was. There are a ton of other awards that are fan voted, or press based, or whatever. I love having this perspective, and I find it especially interesting when it's different from "consensus" picks.
True though I think we'll see some very specific differences when the GDC awards happen later this month.

I don't see UGG taking GOTY among developers only when Baba is You is a big thing for them.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Untitled Goose Game's win makes this the first (or second depending on how you class Journey - indie studio but Sony published) indie game to win DICE's GotY award. Nice to see that you don't have to be a AAA to be recognised for being an excellent game.

EQuAsrfVAAAe-kx.jpg

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Untitled Goose Game's win makes this the first (or second depending on how you class Journey - indie studio but Sony published) indie game to win DICE's GotY award. Nice to see that you don't have to be a AAA to be recognised for being an excellent game.

EQuAsrfVAAAe-kx.jpg

Lmao the only two Japanese games are Zelda. They didn't even pick RE4 in 2005.

I don't mind goose game winning , its a nice change and deserves some recognition. But the rest of the list doesn't seem to be like that.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Although Control winning best action game and Fallen Order best adventure is not particularly strange. That (close to) happened here as well.

Fallen Order hasn't won anywhere. And while Control gets a lot of awards ( deservedly so ) , Best Action game ? I don't think anyone would pick it for that category. It shouldn't even be in that category.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
For real? Come on now.

I want to know how many of you claiming it is well-deserved actually picked it as your own GOTY over other games.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Congrats on the win!

DICE is definitely a different perspective from the enthusiast and mainstream takes on what makes an excellent, award-winning game. Can't say I'm intimately familiar with that perspective at all, but it doesn't bug me that this was the result of whatever that perspective may be. 2019 wasn't a bad year and there are certainly games that I personally had way more fun playing, but Untitled Goose Game did feel pretty unique among what I did play, so that perspective must value that uniqueness way more than I did.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Sure Jan, and next you'll tell me Mario Kart Tour is the best racing game to.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
For real? Come on now.

I want to know how many of you claiming it is well-deserved actually picked it as your own GOTY over other games.

I did. It and Baba is You were my two favorite games of 2019. They both have that "wish I thought of that" factor.

People really can't handle something that isn't a Serious AAA Game winning, it seems.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Here are the rest of the Winners:
Fuck, Mario kart tour beating CTR for best racer definitely upsets me more than goty. Really?

That being said, any of the other games for Goty would have made more sense to me personally, and disco or Outer Wilds def should have gotten more love specifically, but good for House House.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
People boiling this down to memes is really dismissive.

It's an incredibly well designed game. Maybe, just maybe, those memes were so prevalent because many people were enjoying that game.

Let's rag on Mario Kart Tour's win instead.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I did. It and Baba is You were my two favorite games of 2020. They both have that "wish I thought of that" factor.

People really can't handle something that isn't a Serious AAA Game winning, it seems.

There were much more deserving indie games alone. Outer Wilds, Supraland, hell Kind Words and Short Hike even.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
The entire awards show was a joke. Giving awards to complete messes of games like FIFA 20 and the shitty mobile Mario Kart. Then having a legend like Amy Hennig to present a best character award and having it go to the Goose from goose game. And finally their GOTY pick which is the worst they've done since choosing Fallout 4 in a year that had both The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne.

Congrats DICE you memed your way into making your own awards show have no credibility.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I've noticed an interesting trend of people that really liked Baba is You and those that highly rated UGG.

They both have a "purity of concept" that I really like. They're both one simple but unique idea, explored over the course of the game.

I like them in the same way I like games like Katamari Damacy, which I also suspect I might rank higher than many people. They're "game designers' games."

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
saying this shouldn't win is like saying the oscars shouldn't nominate comedy films

(I don't really keep up with the oscars so I don't know much of what they nominate but I assume people would think that was dumb)

Emiya777

Banned
Jan 14, 2019

This is like Green Book levels of bad lol

Edit: Gonna make a clarification, happy for devs and seems like a fun game, but definitely not the best game that came out this year but any measurement. It almost feels like they have out award for its cultural impact and not its merit.

Last edited:

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Fallen Order hasn't won anywhere. And while Control gets a lot of awards ( deservedly so ) , Best Action game ? I don't think anyone would pick it for that category. It shouldn't even be in that category.
Fallen Order won 7 GOTY awards. https://gotypicks.blogspot.com/?m=1
None of the other games in that category won any I think.
And Control not an action game.. where would you put it, racing game?

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
For real? Come on now.

I did at least. Last year was great for indie games. UGG might be the game that stands the test of time the best of all the games released last year. And it's about time comedy gets recognized in these game of the year rankings. It's not just a meme but actually a great video game—almost flawless in fact.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
I played the first level and I dropped. Not my kinda game. My wife finished in one day lol, she loved, so I think it's a game you really like or is not for you at all.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Decided against a longer post, in favour of simply saying I'm happy for the devs getting recognized. I had a good time with UGG.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Still waiting to hear a cogent argument as to why the goose shouldn't be named the year's best new character, besides "it just can't be"
It doesn't have millions of polygons, complex shaders, motion capture, hundreds of dialogues voiced by a human being (preferably hollywood actor).