• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Outraged that the game of the year is a game that comes up with a new gameplay idea, makes its entire focus and then develops it thoroughly in a charming setting with an instant favourite lead. Everyone knows this award is for the game that most captures the feel of a Hollywood blockbuster!

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
2019 was a horrible year for gaming but it's probably a better game than the extremely overrated Control so i'm not complaining.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Outraged that the game of the year is a game that comes up with a new gameplay idea, makes its entire focus and then develops it thoroughly in a charming setting with an instant favourite lead. Everyone knows this award is for the game that most captures the feel of a Hollywood blockbuster!

Seriously.

Lots of "I haven't played this game, but it definitely shouldn't have won!" in this thread.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Wow awesome. Grats to the devs, they sure made more than an indie game, there's even some slight cultural impact i'd say.

Looking forward to what they have next in store. ^^

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Agree with every one of their awards for this year except this.

Sekiro/RE2 were snubbed.

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine Goat Simulator winning GOTY of that year. Was this a vote out of spite?

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Well, it did come out in 2014 so...

Jokes aside, obviously this was not out of spite. Goose Game also isn't that comparable to Goat Simulator outside of an animal protagonist being an arse.

DICR just selectee the game they liked the most, just so happens it's very well designed and well liked in the social space for it's charm and meme-ability

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, Goat Simulator started a thing, a Untitled Goose Game brought it to its logical conclusion. UGG is a legit good game in its own right, it's more than just a meme.

Agree with every one of their awards for this year except this.

Sekiro/RE2 were snubbed.
570046-untiltled%20goose%20resident%20evil%202%20mod.jpg

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It certainly wouldn't be my first pick for game of the year (and it wasn't), but you can do a lot worse than an extremely charming and well designed stealth puzzle game with a unique premise that doesn't overstay its welcome. It's (so far) the only GOTY award it got, I'm not going to grudge them that.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
It's a cool pick to represent the medium and us in 2019, rather than another traditional power fantasy. On top of being a neat stealth-puzzle game, Untitled Goose Game was really expressive, and really spoke to its audience, even beyond jokes and memes. Folks got a lot of catharsis and meaning from disrupting systems that don't care about them, and that's just something of worth that's going to stick. The relatively low barrier of entry also probably enhances how far its reach was.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My god the fucking salt in this thread because a developer made a game that their peers loved and appreciated won GOTY.

If only AAA power fantasies were eligible for the award what would be the fucking point. It's a solid game, loved my time with it and captured the attention of many who don't normally play games and they enjoyed it too.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It certainly has something that no other game had in 2019: originality.

I mean, I still liked KH3 and RE2 better than UGG, but it's just the same old same old once you take a step back, while the Goose oozes personality and charm.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Goat simulator is not remotely comparable to Untitled goose game, holy shit the bad takes in this thread.

Untitled goose game won because it's a game with a unique gameplay hook, great art style and immaculate sound design, among other things.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It was a very charming little game, that I'm glad that I played. I didn't get much more than that out of it, but then again I'm not a game developer, maybe they see something in it I don't.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno man, if you wanted to pick a short indie title. Sayonara Wild Hearts would be the direction I go in.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
A wonderful game. While so many try to capture the middle ground of Hollywood blockbusters, this hit on the vein of a Film4 indie movie.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I love indies but from what I saw it's basically a meme game... I'll give it a chance soon or later but goty seems out of proportion.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Kudos to Goose and all other winners and finalists! Sure, I would have liked if Outer Wilds would get even more attention, but you can't win them all.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
It certainly has something that no other game had in 2019: originality.

I mean, I still liked KH3 and RE2 better than UGG, but it's just the same old same old once you take a step back, while the Goose oozes personality and charm.

There were a lot of original games last year, especially indie ones.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad it was on Gamepass because I really didn't see the hype for it. I guess it was funny for 30 minutes. Lol.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
Loving all the salt in this thread, goes perfect on my chips.

Congratulations to House House and Panic, they deserve it for such a charming game!

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
out of the 19 2019 games i completed - and hell, an even 20 with my run of dqxi s nearly over - untitled goose game brought the most joy to me from its simple and yet brilliant design. games should be awarded on their design and not the artistic elements that the designers use.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There were a lot of original games last year, especially indie ones.
Oh certainly, but I don't think any of them got the same attention that UGG got.

I'm not really following the indie scene, but UGG was everywhere as it came out, I don't think there's any other indie game this years that can say the same. It even got bigger than games like Stardew Valley and other indie smash hits when they came out.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Was 2019 really that bad? Damn.

Yeah it really was a crap year.

nah, that's just a era made up thing. far stronger than 2018 and one of the best years of the generation.

LOL what are you on.

If anything 2019 is extremely overrated on era due to it's weebiness.

For the general public 2018 is a far, far stronger year. The difference is so big 2019 would barely register.

You can't honestly believe that most people consider 2019 the stronger year lmao. Now that is an out-of-touch era thing to believe.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Good, Untitled Goose Game was a great little game and deserved some recognition.

Happens every time an indie game wins, don't you know that GOTY awards are for big boys only?

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Yeah it really was a crap year.

LOL what are you on.

If anything 2019 is extremely overrated on era due to it's weebiness.

For the general public 2018 is a far, far stronger year. The difference is so big 2019 would barely register.

You can't honestly believe that most people consider 2019 the stronger year lmao. Now that is an out-of-touch era thing to believe.

General public is mainly interested in their cinematic AAA action adventure games. So, that's not a great reference to determine the quality of the games either.

I for one am happy DICE went out of the way to awards different kind of proposals. You can only dream The Game Awards have the courage to do something like giving the GOTY to an indie game instead of the typicial and safe AAA proposal from a big publisher that just pleases everybody but doesn't bring anything new to the genre.

Oct 26, 2017
More than deserved win. One of the most refreshing gaming experiences I had in years.
Some of the salt in this thread is embarrassingly juvenile. As the medium grows, so is the recognition for more games that don't rely on child like power fantasies and grotesque designs. Simple as that.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
It was my GOTY as well.

The weekend I spent playing the game with my family was one of the happiest times of my life.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I would have gone wilds over goose but I can't say I don't appreciate the game's purity of design and singular focus

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Supraland deserved this reward more than Goose game but nobody from the press even played it (and I doubt that many other developers played it) so it was expected to be ignored.

I think it always possible to mention other titles equally deserving. I would have loved to see the award go to Outer Wilds, but it's still cool to see them recognize something from outside the AAA sphere.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I dont mind it winning best game but it certainly didnt deserve a best direction nomination
Also, Goose is on gamepass folks. It's nowhere nearly as "unplayed" as some of you are claiming to be. Maybe people did play it, found it a good/charming game and just not GOTY material. Think about it

Oh certainly, but I don't think any of them got the same attention that UGG got.

I'm not really following the indie scene, but UGG was everywhere as it came out, I don't think there's any other indie game this years that can say the same. It even got bigger than games like Stardew Valley and other indie smash hits when they came out.

Goose was everywhere thanks to the memes, not to its originality. It really isn't a very original game if you stop to think about it, it just used a fun looking art style and characters over an already done idea. Previously mentioned stuff like Baba is You, Supraland, Outer Wilds, SWH and etcetera surpass it.