• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Goose was everywhere thanks to the memes, not to its originality. It really isn't a very original game if you stop to think about it, it just used a fun looking art style and characters over an already done idea. Previously mentioned stuff like Baba is You, Supraland, Outer Wilds, SWH and etcetera surpass it.

memes were everywhere because the fun and catharsis of untitled goose game resonated with people. being an asshole goose was a fun idea to put into other contexts and it was done specifically in ways that referenced the game's core mechanics.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
memes were everywhere because the fun and catharsis of untitled goose game resonated with people. being an asshole goose was a fun idea to put into other contexts and it was done specifically in ways that referenced the game's core mechanics.

That still doesnt change my point that the game was everywhere thanks to the meme and not for being original (which also doesnt mean the game is bad or unoriginal - read further). People liked the game and the memes, and thats fine, but i can assure you little timmy from youtube comments wasn't honking during AGDQ cause he thought UGG was an outstanding achievement in gaming design.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
General public is mainly interested in their cinematic AAA action adventure games. So, that's not a great reference to determine the quality of the games either.

I for one am happy DICE went out of the way to awards different kind of proposals. You can only dream The Game Awards have the courage to do something like giving the GOTY to an indie game instead of the typicial and safe AAA proposal from a big publisher that just pleases everybody but doesn't bring anything new to the genre.

The post I responded to was claiming it was just an era thing to say that 2019 was a poor year.

That's clearly not the case.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
That still doesnt change my point that the game was everywhere thanks to the meme and not for being original (which also doesnt mean the game is bad or unoriginal - read further). People liked the game and the memes, and thats fine, but i can assure you little timmy from youtube comments wasn't honking during AGDQ cause he thought UGG was an outstanding achievement in gaming design.

the game's outstanding achievement in game design made people happy, and in their happiness, they spread awareness through humor. how is this any different from people emotionally reacting to other games, and wanting to share their thoughts in some fashion?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldnt be my personal choice but im glad to see that smaller games can get this kind of recognition as well - without having to be labeled "indie" or a 100m budget and years of hype PR machine.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
I'm into it. This is a great realization of the essence of 'video games'. You explore to move forward in a charming, unique way that no player can ever say they've done before. It has universal appeal.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
the game's outstanding achievement in game design made people happy, and in their happiness, they spread awareness through humor. how is this any different from people emotionally reacting to other games, and wanting to share their thoughts in some fashion?

Really not getting why you're trying to make this argument about something i'm not saying. Goose is a good game that owns it major awareness (that most other indie games couldn't dream of getting) to the widespread memes about it more than people finding the game being top quality or very original - in fact many of the people using goose memes never played it at all. That's not a knock on the quality of the game, that's just stating a fact. If you want to keep twisting this single conclusion into something else to paint me as trying to damper the enthusiasm of the people who liked it i'm sorry but not interested.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing for Outer Wilds is criminal. Some people don't know a good thing if it's starting at them right in their faces.

Goose Game for GOTY is just... A meme award for a meme game.

edit: that was too dismissive of GG (mainly because Outer Wilds isn't getting the appreciation it deserves), but I'm not sure why people are that mad about it being called that. The internet was inundated by Goose memes when that game came out. I'm sorry but I'm pretty sure that contributed to its success to a certain degree. I doubt they were all "man I sure in the mood for a carefully crafted stealth/puzzle game." If people called something like Undertale a meme game I would be indifferent to it despite loving that game.

Last edited:

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Great to see an indie being recognized in the most important category. It didn't resonate with me but an award is an opinion so you can't really argue with that. Congrats to the developer for creating an experience that transcended gaming and managed to entertain many more than anyone could have expected!

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
People thinking it unworthy or being annoyed or upset at the goose winning would be eyeroll-inciting because of the usual "people should like the same things as me and exactly as much as I do" and the common "there is such a thing as an objective best game of the year, and it's my subjectively favorite game" vibe-delusions, but instead it's just fun. That's the power of the goose. And probably part of why it won.

Happy for the House House of Honk Honk.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Really not getting why you're trying to make this argument about something i'm not saying.

because there's a massive [citation needed] for the following:

Goose is a good game that owns it major awareness (that most other indie games couldn't dream of getting) to the widespread memes about it more than people finding the game being top quality or very original - in fact many of the people using goose memes never played it at all. That's not a knock on the quality of the game, that's just stating a fact. If you want to keep twisting this single conclusion into something else to paint me as trying to damper the enthusiasm of the people who liked it i'm sorry but not interested.

it's a fact that many of the people using goose memes never played it at all? where did you come up with this? how many is 'many' - is it so important to the game's success that it overshadows the game's actual sales and playerbase? how do you know an apparently sizable amount of memers never played it?

untitled goose game is basically part of the stealth genre, so in that sense, it might be 'unoriginal' - but the real originality comes from the humor in the low-level chaos caused by a single renegade goose. the design strongly reinforces this in its grounded setting and the unsuspecting normal folks going about their daily lives. this gives room for the mayhem to matter. in terms of presentation, the designers made the right choices in the setting, art style, animation, and music to enhance the quaint life that is being disrupted. the objectives heighten the absurdity of playing as a goose with an even more absurd checklist that culminates in several funny moments. i can't think of another game that is constantly hilarious due to the actions of the player and not because of writing or cutscenes. the player agency in creating these moments is the strongest success of the game, and there's nothing quite like it.

Nothing for Outer Wilds is criminal. Some people don't know a good thing if it's starting at them right in their faces.

thank you for turning me on to outer wilds. i'll look into it more because the premise is intriguing. to be fair i thought this was 'the outer worlds' at first, which i don't know if i'll play to play because rpgs take up so much time.

(untitled goose game is really great and i recommend that you play it)

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
AI: The Somnium Files not being nominated for anything is a big joke. Why the hell is everyone ignoring the game?!

it's a mid-budget japanese visual novel. 999 employs some of the best marriage of storytelling to hardware design and video game tropes, but 2010 also had a western and the continuing adventures of mass effect so sorry weirdo low-budget japan game. infinite space, which is like mass effect if it had a strong beginning, middle, and end, did not get any recognition anywhere either - even among handheld or ds games for that year.

marketing and position matters. spike chunsoft was able to get strong reviews, but the game came out in a shitty period of the year, in the middle of dragon quest xi s, ni no kuni remastered, final fantasy viii remastered, the witcher 3 on switch, and several other lengthy titles that would compete for time and attention. it's the sort of title that probably should have launched in july, and instead it was buried.

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
UGG is like the Tetris of stealth/puzzle-adventure games. Laser-focused purity of design that allows a few finely-crafted pieces to blossom into grand whole.

"Grand" here meaning homey, charming, amusing, overflowing with character, and cleverly finding the gameplay fun in the mundane and ordinary

Oct 28, 2017
Really happy to see this. Hopefully it's an indication that the idea of what constitutes a great game goes beyond lengthy cinematic experiences with photorealistic visuals, And that the medium can be used in more imaginative ways.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Its amusing to see the reactions here because whenever Death Stranding wins, the narrative is that its unique and games that step away from the norm should be recognized in the industry. No game encapsulates that more than the winner in this case. I guess its more important for a goty to be AAA than anything else.
Why do you think those are the same people?

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
it's a fact that many of the people using goose memes never played it at all? where did you come up with this? how many is 'many' - is it so important to the game's success that it overshadows the game's actual sales and playerbase? how do you know an apparently sizable amount of memers never played it?

untitled goose game is basically part of the stealth genre, so in that sense, it might be 'unoriginal' - but the real originality comes from the humor in the low-level chaos caused by a single renegade goose. the design strongly reinforces this in its grounded setting and the unsuspecting normal folks going about their daily lives. this gives room for the mayhem to matter. in terms of presentation, the designers made the right choices in the setting, art style, animation, and music to enhance the quaint life that is being disrupted. the objectives heighten the absurdity of playing as a goose with an even more absurd checklist that culminates in several funny moments. i can't think of another game that is constantly hilarious due to the actions of the player and not because of writing or cutscenes. the player agency in creating these moments is the strongest success of the game, and there's nothing quite like it.

thank you for turning me on to outer wilds. i'll look into it more because the premise is intriguing. to be fair i thought this was 'the outer worlds' at first, which i don't know if i'll play to play because rpgs take up so much time.

(untitled goose game is really great and i recommend that you play it)

I love when people ask for citations while making their own baseless claims without citations - "the obligation is yours! My claims are verified by God (myself)!". That's not how arguments work mate.
No, it isn't a fact that "many people who use goose memes didnt play it" and i didn't claim it, it's impossible to quantify that - that's not what i called a fact, but "goose's widespread recognition is more thanks to the memes than its originality", which i stand behind and also don't have how to quantify. Neither you.

You're using a lot of subjective opinions and emotions trying to paint them as fact as well. I'm glad you found UGG to be so humorous but that's not an unanimity. I can think of other games that are also constantly hilarious due to the actions of the player and not because of writing and cutscenes (humans fall flat, gang beasts, jackbox party packs, etcetera) but you obviously are free to disagree. Big difference here that i'm not nitpicking your opinion trying to knock you down for not being as enthusiastic about a game like i am.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
If you're actually gunna pick a unique and interesting game for GOTY for once it really should have been Outer Wilds.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I I'm glad you found UGG to be so humorous but that's not an unanimity. I can think of other games that are also constantly hilarious due to the actions of the player and not because of writing and cutscenes (humans fall flat, gang beasts, jackbox party packs, etcetera) but you obviously are free to disagree.
Untitled Goose Game isn't comparable to those example. The actions aren't hilarious because of slapstick physics like a Gang Beasts or Goat Simulator. It's more comparable to classic adventure games or Hitman, in how the context of your actions interrupt and dovetail with the charming characters and little clockwork stories unfolding in town. It's all in the visual storytelling, humorous juxtaposition, and clever game design that allows your limited array of actions to have varied and meaningful contextual interactions

Aug 25, 2019
this game was an absolute joy to play and felt like an actual game too

(why is there so many bitter people? it's a great game, I'm growing tired of this negativity here)

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Untitled Goose Game isn't comparable to those example. The actions aren't hilarious because of slapstick physics like a Gang Beasts or Goat Simulator. It's more comparable to classic adventure games or Hitman, in how the context of your actions interrupt and dovetail with the charming characters and little clockwork stories unfolding in town. It's all in the visual storytelling, humorous juxtaposition, and clever game design that allows your limited array of actions to have varied and meaningful contextual interactions

As i said you're free to disagree. I found more enjoyment in the "slapstick physics" of Gang Beast than i did in Goose. Apparently i didn't find the "clockwork stories unfolding in town" as amusing or hilarious as you both did, which is fine. And i really disagree with your comparison with classic adventure games which doesnt make even sense in the context we were discussing of comedy outside writing and characters.

For a thread complaining about others not respecting different viewpoints you folks could learn a thing or two about it as well.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rough year when "oh, how charming" wins you game of the year, when Twitch spam carries you from fun minigame to this.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've yet to try it. Hopefully a physical release comes out at some point, may it be limited or not, I'd buy it.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
As i said you're free to disagree. I found more enjoyment in the "slapstick physics" of Gang Beast than i did in Goose. Apparently i didn't find the "clockwork stories unfolding in town" as amusing or hilarious as you both did, which is fine. And i really disagree with your comparison with classic adventure games which doesnt make even sense in the context we were discussing of comedy outside writing and characters.

For a thread complaining about others not respecting different viewpoints you folks could learn a thing or two about it as well.
You're on a forum. Put a viewpoint or opinion out there, expect discussion about and criticism of and agreement with said point. Respecting your opinion doesn't exclude that

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Surprising, but thinking back to last year I'm not sure what else I might give it to. There were games that were bigger, prettier, with bigger stories and sweeping adventures, but I can't think of anything else I just straight up enjoyed every moment of without reservation. In other words it was the best straight 'game' I played.

So congrats to House House and I look forward to the inevitable Canada Goose expansion, where the people of England can discover what REAL terror is.

Oct 27, 2017
Such a lovely game. The goose has more character in its beady little eyes than any number of fabulously rendered, scripted and motion captured AAA characters I've played for years.

Played it with my wife and kids and it was just a brilliant few hours messing around, the simple joy of a dedicated honk button. When you pick up the mouth organ and run around honking/playing my kids laughed so much. I've got a great screenshot of the goose, mouth organ in beak peeping out from under the pub with some confused people stood in front of it looking for the source of the noise.

The whole thing was charmingly put together, a worthy winner from my perspective.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I adore this game. There's something to simple and charming about being an asshole goose. No lives, no game overs, no rush. Just mess with stuff/people and honk.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Its amusing to see the reactions here because whenever Death Stranding wins, the narrative is that its unique and games that step away from the norm should be recognized in the industry. No game encapsulates that more than the winner in this case. I guess its more important for a goty to be AAA than anything else.
B I N G O

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
It's a very charming little game.
This game ruined watching Awesome Game Done Quick for me

(Coming from someone who finished the game)
GDQs unfortunately have a problem with taking a thing and running it into the ground instantly. They do it every year with some sound or another, and it's always pretty awkward.

I smiled when I saw that one of the name nominations for some character was Honk, but within a few days I never wanted to hear the word ever again.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I've not even played it but it looks delightful.

The seething salt in this thread is absolutely lovely though. It's so good it must be fattening.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
the game is really really good. not sure why anyone would think its a bad choice. always nice to see something original getting recognition.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Annoying to see this win the same year that a bunch of future classics were released: just off the top of my head, Outer Wilds, Baba Is You, Telling Lies, Sayonara Wild Hearts and Eliza were all genre-defining.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Guess you forgot to tell that to all the "whats with people being so bitter? geez all the salt" posters in this thread.
Considering that half of the posts here completely dismiss the game by saying "well 2019 was a crap year anyway" and "lol meme awards", its almost like many people have no interest in this game and are only upset that it won over others.