• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think my favorite thing to do on era is watch snooty people have salty meltdowns over GOTY awards.

it's also really mean to call UGG a "meme game." It's a well designed video game that people put a lot of hard work into. It's sad that a forum of video game enthusiasts feel the need to tear it down and belittle its accomplishments just because their favorite video game didn't win a stupid award. Video games fandom can be so childish.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
The entire award show felt like a response to TGA, giving recognition to those who didnt get that much love back in december
Still, considering all of the other goty nominees and how many awards goose game had at that point, I dont think it was that well deserved

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
This thread is useful to separate people actually playing the game, and people who just watch let's play and streamers. UGG riddles were exquisitely designed.
But you cannot really know it if you haven't sit down and thought "How do I plan to do X with Y?"

A meme award for a meme game.
Have you even played it?

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
The game is funny and really well made. So congrats to the developers!

I personally found it a little bit too short and not so fun to play.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Rabl rabl rabl opinions on awards rabl rabl

Resident Evil 2 is my GOTY, but Untitled Goose Game receiving an award for being GoTY is something I can understand as well.

2019 was a year where I punched Yakuza in the face, discovered that zombies can be terrifying again, hunted ghosts, got in a big ass war which included three figureheads, hunted demons and what not...

And there is something like Untitled Goose Game. A rural English village. Unsuspecting villagers doing their jobs, chores or groceries. And I am a goose that wants to cause anarchy. Memes be damned, but the puzzles and annoying the villagers is a very welcome gameplay change which should be appreciated.

So yeah, go Goose game.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
The thread is full of people being disrespectful and childish. People who should know better. Pretty disappointing Era.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
The real bullshit is further down the category list - The Outer Worlds over Disco Elysium for best RPG? Absolutely not.

(Seriously though, lots of different games winning GOTY is a sign of a strong year in games, not a weak one.)

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I stopped after the first 'area'. It's a cool game, but lost it's charm for me pretty quickly.

Kudos to them for winning the award, though.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like how every time there is a Top 100 list of some sort you have a hundred page thread with folks invalidating the entire thing because one or two games undeservedly made the top ten, but disagreeing that UGG is worthy of the DICE GOTY award is "childish" or "embarrassing."

And this is coming from someone that enjoyed it.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I learned long ago to not take DICE Awards seriously.

Regardless, Untitled Goose Game is quite good! Hard to let go of it once you've started it.

Creed Bratton

Aug 29, 2019
I'm loving all the salt from a few people in here. While UGG may not be cutting edge in terms of graphics, the devs really made something special, and I'm really glad it's being recognized as such.

Last edited:

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
tumblr_pdo074Aszg1x0rpl7o4_500.gif

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome, definitely one of my favorites for the year. Very cool to see smaller studios recognized for prestigious awards, now we need a co-op Goose game sequel so I can play with my wife and daughter and honk as a family.

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really liked the game, super charming. Grats to the devs and hope more indie devs get rewarded like this in the future.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Goose Game, but just from looking at footage I can see why it would get more awards than the other games nominated. It's not about biggest budget, it's about the better game.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I like how every time there is a Top 100 list of some sort you have a hundred page thread with folks invalidating the entire thing because one or two games undeservedly made the top ten, but disagreeing that UGG is worthy of the DICE GOTY award is "childish" or "embarrassing."

And this is coming from someone that enjoyed it.
Disagreeing is obviously fine.

Posts saying it's only popular because it's a 'meme game' and that the awards themselves are a joke for recognising the game are just as stupid as the drive-bys you mention in top XX lists.

beetlebum

Nov 24, 2017
Brazil
Always nice to see indie games getting this sort of recognition. Personal opinion and all, but indies have been among my GOTY Top 5s pretty much every year since like 2014, and there are several I'd rank ahead of many critically acclaimed AAA titles.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Disagreeing is obviously fine.

Posts saying it's only popular because it's a 'meme game' and that the awards themselves are a joke for recognising the game are just as stupid as the drive-bys you mention in top XX lists.

Exactly.

There's a difference between disagreeing with an opinion and throwing out unsubstantiated drivel about the game only being successful because of memes, which is about the stupidest fucking thing I've ever read in this place.

May 5, 2018
Happy for Panic and House House. Untitled Goose Game came right at #10 for my favorite games of the year and personally I think its nice to see that game take home a GOTY trophy. The Goose cleaned up in other DICE awards from Outstanding Achievement in Independent Gaming (I believe) and Outstanding Achievement in Character (The right choice if you ask me).

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not saying it's a bad game, but in the year of Sekiro, RE2 and Disco Elysium, this winning is incredibly baffling

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of salt in this thread is incredible. It's crazy the lengths people will go to Stan because the idea of something that isn't some big budget overly serious game didn't win.

Y'all have a fucking loser mindset. Grow up.
This is like Green Book levels of bad lol
Nah....
The best comparison that I can use to describe you salty folk is the Oscar critics who whined about Parasite winning an Oscar

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
my take as well, 2019 was like 2014 part 2 but Goose Game is a gem.

I would say we got four really good gems last year: Untitled Goose Game, The Outer Wilds, Disco Elysium and Oxygen Not Included. Any one of those I would be fine with GOTY.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Calling it a "meme game" is a disservice to House House. Like they stumbled into success.
I hadn't realised that the word meme could mean "expertly crafted in every facet" , but that's the only way this post makes any sense.

Learning every day!
thank you for turning me on to outer wilds. i'll look into it more because the premise is intriguing. to be fair i thought this was 'the outer worlds' at first, which i don't know if i'll play to play because rpgs take up so much time.

(untitled goose game is really great and i recommend that you play it)
This thread is useful to separate people actually playing the game, and people who just watch let's play and streamers. UGG riddles were exquisitely designed.
But you cannot really know it if you haven't sit down and thought "How do I plan to do X with Y?"

Have you even played it?
This is embarrassingly ignorant.
Admittedly that was too dismissive of UGG (mainly because I was feeling like yet again Outer Wilds isn't getting the appreciation it deserves, not even on this very forum), but I'm not sure why people are that mad about it being called that. It was just a silly off-hand comment. The internet was inundated by Goose memes when that game came out. I'm sorry but I'm pretty sure that contributed to its success and the conversation that surrounds it to a certain degree. I doubt people were all "man I sure am in the mood for a carefully crafted stealth/puzzle game." If people called something like Undertale a meme game (and it's been called that plenty of times) I would be indifferent to it despite loving that game.

Personally I've seen plenty of Goose Game, and it just doesn't interest me. Maybe I'll try it one day, but eh...

Its amusing to see the reactions here because whenever Death Stranding wins, the narrative is that its unique and games that step away from the norm should be recognized in the industry. No game encapsulates that more than the winner in this case. I guess its more important for a goty to be AAA than anything else.
Thankfully Kojima's brand of nonsensical and incompetent scriptwriting hasn't won anything.

Last edited:

Bilollipop

Nov 26, 2017
Canada
I honestly regret spending money on this game so I'm pretty shocked. I spent close to $30CAD, and that's probably what's made me salty for how much I got out of it.
It's a well designed and great looking product, but it's definitely not my thing.
I let friends play it whenever we run out of things to do, and while they enjoy goosing about it's nothing anyone's excited to come back to. I do very much enjoy seeing the different solutions my friends come up with for the areas I've cleared, but that's not enough to carry it for me.

And before anyone's like "you don't think it deserved GOTY because it wasn't AAA," Sayonara Wild Hearts is definitely my GOTY. Always excited to show that game off.