• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Admittedly that was too dismissive of UGG (mainly because I was feeling like yet again Outer Wilds isn't getting the appreciation it deserves, not even on this very forum), but I'm not sure why people are that mad about it being called that. It was just a silly off-hand comment. The internet was inundated by Goose memes when that game came out. I'm sorry but I'm pretty sure that contributed to its success and the conversation that surrounds it to a certain degree. I doubt people were all "man I sure in the mood for a carefully crafted stealth/puzzle game." If people called something like Undertale a meme game (and it's been called that plenty of times) I would be indifferent to it despite loving that game.
Even if this was the most memed game in the history of video games, what does that have to do with developers and other people in the industry voting for the game? This wasn't a public poll award

And there was a lot of articles and videos and appreciation for the game due to its happy charming cathartic escapism and its clever design.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Lol @ the people saying it doesn't deserve Game of the Year. AIAS puts the list of voters on their page each year for the DICE awards:
Peer Panelists for the DICE Awards

This is the game that the developers chose to give their Game of the Year. I'm not going to be the person to say I know better than them what they found novel & interesting, especially when they actually know what they're looking for.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Even if this was the most memed game in the history of video games, what does that have to do with developers and other people in the industry voting for the game? This wasn't a public poll award

And there was a lot of articles and videos and appreciation for the game due to its happy charming cathartic escapism and its clever design.
Fair enough.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This thread, geez. Y'all are embarrassing...
cc1.gif

Congrats to House House. Well deserved

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
damn, I thought Era would be a place that a game like this would be celebrated

actually a little bit shocked tbh. can yall still have fun?

also calling it a meme game is basically lazy dev bullshit, get that trash out of here

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Charming indie game wins prestigious award and people on resetera cry because it isn't a huge AAA title. While also dismissing it as a meme game..

I expected better of resetera but I'm constantly proven wrong. The front page alone is an absolute joke.

It's cool if you didn't like the game but to dismiss its credibility because of the type of game it is really shows how much respect you have for the medium and independent game developers.

Goose Game is fantastic and this is much deserved

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
A lot of disrespect to the devs around here.
This is really sad.
Haven´t played yet but to me is always nice to see something out of the box getting recognition.
Congrats to team, will jump on it as soon as I can.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
This seems like a huge surprise. I haven't played really any of the big games this year, but thinking about impressive design I think about The Outer Worlds, Death Stranding and Disco Elysium as games that have the combination of critical consensus and genuine innovation. I haven't played any of these or Untitled Goose Game so it's just an outside perspective but it does feel like almost an inside joke sort of thing.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Did we ever clarify what a 'meme game' is? I don't really get what that label is supposed to mean. Unless it's related to content or official marketing, I don't understand how that criticism can be levelled at the game itself.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
The amount of disrespect to the devs who made this wonderful, fun, clever, polished game is extremely disappointing. Not everything needs to be a 4K, sub-30 FPS visual feast to be deemed worthy of the GOTY award.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Did we ever clarify what a 'meme game' is? I don't really get what that label is supposed to mean. Unless it's related to content or official marketing, I don't understand how that criticism can be levelled at the game itself.
"A game other people enjoy and talk about, but I will never play because it casual gaem and I r real gamurr."

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a slight against Goose game. Everything i've seen of it looks enjoyable and cute. But looking at other candidates' ambitions, complexities and accomplishments, Goose doesn't strike me as 'best in its year' level. It's an eyebrow-raising pick. I wouldn't have picked it to demonstrate the biggest success by a developer in 2019, especially not from other devs' lens. Goose aims for and does less. Which is fine. But you can appreciate a creation and not deem it to be one the of best of its year. I feel the choice made here diminishes\trivializes the efforts and triumphs of other title and devs in 2019. And if i were an outsider ignorant about the industry and the breadth of games made, i would have wondered what happened in 2019 that this game was declared as the best the medium produced.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
Aside from Ape Out, which I think is incredibly underappreciated, this is the only game I played last year that felt like an entirely new, joyous experience. I can understand why developers would want to reward a game that truly innovates and broadens the perception of what games can be and do while still being extremely fun and endlessly replayable (and not simply an interesting experiment). There are plenty of awards that are almost exclusively given to traditional AAA experiences and competent entries in age old franchises. Let the goose have this.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
It's not a slight against Goose game. Everything i've seen of it looks enjoyable and cute. But looking at other candidates' ambitions, complexities and accomplishments, Goose doesn't strike me as 'best in its year' level. It's an eyebrow-raising pick. I wouldn't have picked it to demonstrate the biggest success by a developer in 2019, especially not from other devs' lens. Goose aims for and does less. Which is fine. But you can appreciate a creation and not deem it to be one the of best of its year. I feel the choice made here diminishes\trivializes the efforts and triumphs of other title and devs in 2019. And if i were an outsider ignorant about the industry and the breadth of games made, i would have wondered what happened in 2019 that this game was declared as the best the medium produced.
This is a joke right? Especially when the panel voting for the game are all part of the industry themselves. And all the game developers who were talking about how much fun they had with the game during it's launch.

This isn't some 5-minite hatchet clone job of a game, proper effort went into this and it being lauded at a single game of the year awards doesn't diminish the quality of any other games released this year. Your comment is just as insulting to the devs (if not more) than what you purport to be the situation.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI

This sentiment is incredibly disrespectful and I would argue that it diminishes what games can be. What you're saying comes off as "This isn't a AAA game with a large budget, therefore it can't be as good as those games".

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Nice job! I enjoyed it for sure. Nice to see a smaller title getting some recognition. My GOTY was Control. But everyone's tastes are different.

Other posts:
"Game I don't like won prize!"

Everyone's tastes are different.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
the DICE awards are the only notable industry awards because its vets and people from within recognizing each other for extraordinary work that excels at being unique, fun and special in its own right. well earned.

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
This is a joke right? Especially when the panel voting for the game are all part of the industry themselves. And all the game developers who were talking about how much fun they had with the game during it's launch.

This isn't some 5-minite hatchet clone job of a game, proper effort went into this and it being lauded at a single game of the year awards doesn't diminish the quality of any other games released this year. Your comment is just as insulting to the devs (if not more) than what you purport to be the situation.
Yes, effort and talent went into Goose. Didn't say otherwise. Just that my impression is other candidates had more put into them. It's a curious choice.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, effort and talent went into Goose. Didn't say otherwise. Just that my impression is other candidates had more put into them. It's a curious choice.
it really isnt. the people making these calls have been in the industry for years and some decades. they've seen it all, so a game where you play as a goose is breath of fresh-air for everyone involved, especially when you've been working on shooty-man project #10000000.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't finished UGG yet, but it only takes a few minutes with it to realize that it is a special, charming, really well-made game. Saying it doesn't deserve it is like saying an indie film made with a crew of fifty has no right beating out some massive summer blockbuster made by thousands. They're all films, just as here they are all games.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
the DICE awards are the only notable industry awards because its vets and people from within recognizing each other for extraordinary work that excels at being unique, fun and special in its own right.

......like picking Mario Kart World Tour over every other racing game released in 2019?
Devs are not these god chosen entities which opinions are law and incontestable. They have better insight than most people here for being in the industry of course but that doesnt make their opinions about the medium as a product for the consumer inherently better or superior.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI

And what do you base this impression off of? The game was in development for almost 3 years and saw a few delays. I can imagine getting the dynamic soundtrack alone to work seamlessly was a difficult undertaking.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
But looking at other candidates' ambitions, complexities and accomplishments, Goose doesn't strike me as 'best in its year' level. It's an eyebrow-raising pick. I wouldn't have picked it to demonstrate the biggest success by a developer in 2019, especially not from other devs' lens. Goose aims for and does less. Which is fine. But you can appreciate a creation and not deem it to be one the of best of its year. I feel the choice made here diminishes\trivializes the efforts and triumphs of other title and devs in 2019.

It's ok to say you don't agree, but you're the one diminishing & trivializing the efforts & triumphs of game devs.

Oct 25, 2017
LOL what are you on.

If anything 2019 is extremely overrated on era due to it's weebiness.

For the general public 2018 is a far, far stronger year. The difference is so big 2019 would barely register.

You can't honestly believe that most people consider 2019 the stronger year lmao. Now that is an out-of-touch era thing to believe.

nah pal, you really don't have any way to gauge what was a stronger year besides fortnite and RDR2 saleswise.

but yeah, opinions and all that, no problem in you thinking 2018 was stronger

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Causing anguish and chaos even out here on the other side of the fourth wall. Well done, Goose devs.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
To pick a meme game over the likes of Death Stranding, an innovative work of art, is an interesting statement.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
......like picking Mario Kart World Tour over every other racing game released in 2019?
Devs are not these god chosen entities which opinions are law and incontestable. They have better insight than most people here for being in the industry of course but that doesnt make their opinions about the medium as a product for the consumer inherently better or superior.
I don't really have a problem with World Tour winning racing goty, getting Mario Kart on phones is far more impactful to a far larger audience than any of the other games listed and gives you the ability to truly play it anywhere without carrying around any additional hardware. It really just depends on what the voters' reasoning was.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Well that's surprising, but totally understand it. It was a pretty unique and great game. So delightful and brought a huge smile to my face as I played. It felt like something i never played before. I think that means something for sure.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Can you point them out as you know of them?
Since you're asking.
Worst Game of the Year pick of all time BY FAR. Holy shit!
To pick a meme game over the likes of Death Stranding, an innovative work of art, is an interesting statement.
Dismissing UGG as a meme game and calling Death Stranding a work of art in the same sentence, is an interesting statement.