• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018

fg_chart_steam_prices_USD_to_ARS.png

Black bars chart the price of the game on the US Steam page. Blue bars chart the price of the game on the Argentina Steam page. Data from SteamDB recorded on 6/20/22.

• DNF Duel ($49.99) at a lower price than Strive in USD is over 7-times more expensive in Argentina ($38.57),
  • Capcom Fighting Collection ($39.99) is even cheaper in USD but still over 6-times more expensive ($32.38),
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure All-Star battle R ($49.99) is the cheapest of the upcoming releases locally at over 5-times the price of Strive in the same market ($28.48).

Screenshot-2022-06-20-155036.png

(Mod on DNF Duel Discord)

So there's some hope DNF may change but it's been close to a month and nothing yet.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Are those Argentian numbers converted to USD, or their own dollar?

Honestly I think any developer is well within their right to price their games however they feel like it.

OP
OP
Dale Copper

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018

Mark It Zero!

Apr 24, 2020
I don't even bother anymore. Plenty of people I know and even more on regional forums are more and more going back to piracy. Buying from another region is pretty much not a thing anymore, the only reasons they don't regional pricing anymore on Argentina and other countries are either greed or that they just don't give a fuck.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
This game went from people expecting it to be F2P to one of the most expensive fighter out there. Most impressive.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even bother anymore. Plenty of people I know and even more on regional forums are more and more going back to piracy. Buying from another region is pretty much not a thing anymore, the only reasons they don't regional pricing anymore on Argentina and other countries are either greed or that they just don't give a fuck.
Doesn't this make the issue a perpetual cycle?

Publisher: People are going to pirate my game anyway so I might as well make whatever I can by not regionally pricing my game.

Consumer: How dare you not regionally price your game! I'm going to pirate the game instead.

As to who started the cycle or who right or wrong it's not for me to say in this scenario. All I can say that as a child when I was living in Mexico we most definitely pirated the PS1 and PS2 games to oblivion.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines

Honestly I think any developer is well within their right to price their games however they feel like it.
Of course, that's totally their prerogative.

Those people affected are also well within their rights to not buy the game, and purchase a competitor's game instead (the tweets above give several examples of alternatives) or just torrent the entire thing. Steam is a very big place, there's just too many quality games competing for the same cash.

I guess NEXON will find out soon enough if it was worth it!

Mark It Zero!

Apr 24, 2020
Doesn't this make the issue a perpetual cycle?

Publisher: People are going to pirate my game anyway so I might as well make whatever I can by not regionally pricing my game.

Consumer: How dare you not regionally price your game! I'm going to pirate the game instead.

As to who started the cycle or who right or wrong it's not for me to say in this scenario. All I can say that as a child when I was living in Mexico we most definitely pirated the PS1 and PS2 games to oblivion.
I suppose it does, but either way it's up to the publishers to end the cycle. If regional pricing isn't there, people will just pirate or not buy it, which is pretty much the same end result for devs.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
people will just pirate or not buy it, which is pretty much the same end result for devs.
That comes with it's own problem specifically if we are talking about Asian Developers or Asian Publisher.

"We haven't been able to turn a profit on that region/market so we are no longer bothering to localize our there anymore"

I know for a fact that this is a particular issue that affects Central and South America regions.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
That comes with it's own problem specifically if we are talking about Asian Developers or Asian Publisher.

"We haven't been able to turn a profit on that region/market so we are no longer bothering to localize our there anymore"

I know for a fact that this is a particular issue that affects Central and South America regions.

If I waited for localizations as a Brazilian I wouldn't have played some of my favorite games. Hell, it's the reason I know english.

They expect you to pay half your monthly salary AND learn another language, then blame piracy if it sells like crap. But I would like to see how it would sell in US under these conditions

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan

They are also then to be blamed for possibly lower sales if they felt complaining to others or to themselves about it.

If devs/pubs want people in other countries to care about legally buying games and supporting the games industry then make games affordable and not instead squeeze as much money as they can out of these poorer countries.

Last edited:

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
If I waited for localizations as a Brazilian I wouldn't have played some of my favorite games. Hell, it's the reason I know english.

They expect you to pay half your monthly salary AND learn another language, then blame piracy if it sells like crap. But I would like to see how it would sell in US under these conditions
It won't set the world on fire regardless of region. It is a niche game in a niche genre.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Regional pricing is not something good hearted companies do to put games in the hands of more people. Regional pricing is a market strategy that has profit as its only goal. And it works, publishers are no charities.

So this discussion shifting towards "well, it's their right!" is entirely missing the point because literally no one believes otherwise. This is not about the rights of big corporations, it's about finding success in other markets, resulting in a bigger player base for this online fighting game.

OP
OP
Dale Copper

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
Regional pricing is not something good hearted companies do to put games in the hands of more people. Regional pricing is a market strategy that has profit as its only goal. And it works, publishers are no charities.

So this discussion shifting towards "well, it's their right!" is entirely missing the point because literally no one believes otherwise. This is not about the rights of big corporations, it's about finding success in other markets, resulting in a bigger player base for this online fighting game.
This.