• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
image.png

I was expecting a reboot,
seeing that its a remake is disappointing

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Was it not pitched as a reboot when it first got announced? I thought this was gonna be some massive game that was gonna revitalize the franchise (at least during the reveal of that project)

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Last rumor we got was that this was a first person stealth action game with parkour right? Pretty different remake.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
Its just a dude on linkedin using the word remake to differentiate the new one from from the original, I wouldn't read to much into it.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Even if it was a remake, jumping from N64 to current Gen and redesigning those maps and levels is going to be a massive jump in scale and quality.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
the twist is that it's gonna be a sequel and then the next Perfect Dark will be named "Perfect Dark Rebirth", right?

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
its a 1-1 remake, and of perfect dark zero of all things

hey if you want to read the worst possibility on things, go all the way

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first game remade with modern gaming conventions is like really one of my biggest wishes of all time. If they can nail the landing on this oh buddy I'm going to be excited. Please don't fuck this up. PLEASE do not fuck this up.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's implying remake the way it would in movies. It's pretty clear from the announcement trailer that while it's going to still have some of old PD's vibe (Sci-Fi, Joanna, corporate espionage), it's still very much going to be a new take.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
It's likely a reboot, unless the final game has nothing to do with the trailer they showed.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Wouldn't read too much into that, though I guess it's possible the trailer we got no longer reflects what we'll eventually get

I'm expecting a reboot, but if they cut out the alien war stuff I will never forgive Xbox

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
its a 1-1 remake, and of perfect dark zero of all things

hey if you want to read the worst possibility on things, go all the way
Now let's not be silly, it doesn't say zero there

So it's obviously the same named game boy colour entry being revived for a new generation.
Can't wait to see their take on octopus prime

OP
OP
brokenswiftie

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Wouldn't read too much into that, though I guess it's possible the trailer we got no longer reflects what we'll eventually get

I'm expecting a reboot, but if they cut out the alien war stuff I will never forgive Xbox

Yeah the trailer shows Egypt
Which is not a location in the original
But it's CGI trailer most possibly made by a diff company
So the game could be literally anything

Deleted member 128704

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2022
One of the upcoming games/franchises where I really, REALLY want to be impressed, delighted and blown away by the production, but have next to zero faith that they're gonna deliver. Perfect Dark Zero was a total misfire. I have zero expectations for this but if it kicks ass I'll buy it.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that the FF7 "remake" was pretty much a re-imagining too. Considering the focus on ecosystem stuff for this game, it's probably a reboot

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
One of the upcoming games/franchises where I really, REALLY want to be impressed, delighted and blown away by the production, but have next to zero faith that they're gonna deliver. Perfect Dark Zero was a total misfire. I have zero expectations for this but if it kicks ass I'll buy it.
Talking to some of the devs at GDC, they seemed VERY pumped for this game to be shown and dev seemed very much on track.

Also 1000000% different dev team than Zero, Zero was Rare back when their quality was pretty fuggin low tbh.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Maybe they are doing a new game and a remake?

This Perfect Dark project has been in development for so long and also needs Crystal Dynamics help. I would be genuinely shocked if they were putting all this person power and time into just a remake

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
Talking to some of the devs at GDC, they seemed VERY pumped for this game to be shown and dev seemed very much on track.

Also 1000000% different dev team than Zero, Zero was Rare back when their quality was pretty fuggin low tbh.
They are leaning heavily on Crystal Dynamics, right? The last two Tomb Raider games that CD made were extremely good. Rise of the Tomb Raider, especially is one of my favorite games from last gen.

I have high hopes, assuming those designers didn't all quit during Avengers production.

OP
OP
brokenswiftie

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
you are aware that these terms mean absolutely nothing unless paired with an explanation?

a reboot is a remake is a remaster is a fancy port

people deploy these terms without care
Reboot and Remake are very diff
For a reboot just the IP is the same
It can be new locations, people, setting, time etc

Remake is just updated visuals or combat but the mostly the same story, characters, locations etc

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It's gonna be a Remake Reboot I imagine.

There will be a lot of elements taken from the original but it'll still be effectively its own thing for most playing.

Reboot and Remake are very diff
For a reboot just the IP is the same
It can be new locations, people, setting, time etc

Remake is just updated visuals or combat but the mostly the same story, characters, locations etc

FFVII fucked that up definition wise. You have a lot more loose ground to play with now.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I thought it was confirmed to be a "reimagining", probably similar to FF7R (even in dev time seemingly).

With the full backing from Xbox Studios to re-imagine one of the best loved IPs from gaming history, we couldn't be more excited to share some of our early ideas.
news.xbox.com

Announcing Perfect Dark, the First Game From The Initiative - Xbox Wire

Two years ago, we announced the formation of a new Xbox Game studio in Santa Monica, The Initiative, and today at The Game Awards, we announced our first project, Perfect Dark. With Perfect Dark, we’re aiming to deliver a secret agent thriller set in a near-future world. We have built the...

Oct 27, 2017
Now this thread is making me wonder what the difference is between a remake and reboot.

I know what a remaster is. I think?

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
They are leaning heavily on Crystal Dynamics, right? The last two Tomb Raider games that CD made were extremely good. Rise of the Tomb Raider, especially is one of my favorite games from last gen.

I have high hopes, assuming those designers didn't all quit during Avengers production.
Yeah but it seems The Initiative has kinda been regrown from the ground up too in a good way, seemed to be a very different team that was pretty excited to work with CD. Was super happy to hear dev was going great from them. I did tell them if MP comes back that the only thing they should take from Zero is the zombie mode though lmao

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Last word was that development wasn't going well and the game was years away. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they decided to switch to a remake along the way.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Now it just needs to become a remaster somehow as well, and it will have the golden Re* trifecta of re-releases

Steamy Manatee

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 18, 2022
It's gonna be a Remake Reboot I imagine.
this, met some people at GDC this and last year. While the details on what they are exactly doing are still blurry to me, it sounded like a remake with a new direction - so a franchise reboot starting with a remake. It also didn't sound like it was coming anytime soon

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reimagining reboot probably which fits the same. I doubt you will be playing the same levels.