• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
exputer.com

[EXCLUSIVE] Marvel's Avengers Has Disassembled

The floundering Marvel live service is finally coming to an end, with an announcement expected as early as next week.
Sources tell me that while plans to end support for Marvel's Avengers did initially stretch to the back half of 2023, these have quickened following the recent departure of Lead Developer Brian Waggoner.
According to sources at Crystal Dynamics, the announcement that Avengers is ceasing development could come as early as next week. Their exit strategy includes a series of changes to the game's various systems, namely a removal of artificial time gating and an overhaul to the available cosmetic microtransactions.

I am also told that the game will remain available for sale digitally until at least September and that efforts are being made to keep the game playable for existing owners as long as possible.
The remaining talent are expected to be moved full-time to Crystal Dynamics' new Tomb Raider title under Amazon Games, which I am told is well into full-scale development and the subject of mounting pressure in the lead-up to a reveal later this year.
More in the article about the specifics of this transition, and a rundown on the various pieces of content in the works that will no longer be seeing the light of day.

For context, Ross is Avengers' resident community insider. He's got a history of providing updates on the state of the game through datamining and conversations with Crystal staff.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell, they're gonna kill it without even releasing She-Hulk or Captain Marvel. Christ.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Report coming straight from Miller, well known leaker of the game since before release. Everything that got out ever was his doing, and today he's claiming that the dev team is ceasing development alltogether and that everything that was planned has been canned. That includes She-Hulk and Captain Marvel. Official statement should be coming next week.

exputer.com

[EXCLUSIVE] Marvel's Avengers Has Disassembled

The floundering Marvel live service is finally coming to an end, with an announcement expected as early as next week.

View: https://twitter.com/mmmmmmmmiller/status/1616513503472324637?t=4y0Lb2R8N51RC_QINi1RUA&s=19

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I know the game didn't really hit for most people (and for good reason, to be fair) but I had fun with and I was hoping for the release of at least She-Hulk before they sunset the game.

Scarlett

Dec 5, 2020
Ah well, it's been dead to me and my friend group for a while.

I tried to level Bucky, but it didn't click.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
welp-okay-then.gif

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god, I wanted She Hulk so badly, nooooooo. I really am glad that Crystal Dynamics can transition to a new Tomb Raider title, I hope it is wonderful.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how much content will still be playable once the server goes offline. I imagine the Assemble campaign and DLC missions for the new heroes are safe but anything beyond that will probably be gone?

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
I liked the single player campaign and had some mindless fun playing afterwards. Think I got 90(ish) hours in it. That said, it was such a disappointing product outside of the campaign.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly a bummer. Game had potential. I feel like they never quite got on track after the initial stumbles around launch.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Not trying to be snarky but I thought they'd stopped support years ago

SolarLune

Jun 22, 2021
Unfortunate - the game's genuinely not bad of what I've played, but it definitely felt over-engineered with the gear system and hero battlepass-ish unlocks and stuff. Wonder if they'll tweak any of it on the way out.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The more surprising part of the article is that they are straight up going to delist it from sale. Makes it sound like this is a decision from Marvel themselves.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
I was once excited about an Avengers game, then ducked out so fast when I learned it was an online live service game, then watched a bunch of footage after it came out and had a good chuckle feeling I made the right decision. Bummer for the folks who enjoy it though.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Would have been nice to at least get the Captain Marvel stuff out, the narrative was building towards it and it would have been a good end point for the game.

I had my fun with it but the the grindy live service stuff was awful.

Deleted member 129013

Dec 12, 2022
insane they tested but didn't deploy join in progress. Or the fact this wasn't in the game at launch

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Despite liking the game more than most, it's for the best to not drag it out any longer. The sooner this dies, the sooner someone can pitch a (hopefully better) Avengers game. So much wasted potential.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
gotta stop chasing the live services trend and just make some games worth playing

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Sad that She-Hulk may not make it out, but I'm curious to see what changes they make since those sound player-friendly. I sincerely hope they can keep it online for a while to come for all the people who did buy it, and the small fanbase who are still playing. Thankfully, I believe the campaign can be played fully offline so even when it gets delisted it won't be hard to snag one of the millions of discs floating around to play that with.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Despite liking the game more than most, it's for the best to not drag it out any longer. The sooner this dies, the sooner someone can pitch a (hopefully better) Avengers game. So much wasted potential.
Yeah it should have been a slam dunk. I really want an Avengers GAAS with good combat mechanics, and i hope some other studio will find a way to make one.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
they did a decent job at making most of the heroes feel pretty unique which is cool

it's just the rest of the game was bland. killing so many robots and having like 3 actual villains in the entire game made it a sure failure