• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
PSA: The Lens of Truth has....lips

xdKH8Ma.png

Put it back, I want to unknow.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
This. We're so used to seeing Ocarina run at resolutions many times greater than it did 20 years ago, that it's easy to forget those pre-rendered backgrounds looked incredible on a CRT at the the N64's native resolution. They offered a level of detail and gravitas that real-time graphics couldn't achieve alone.

I remember seeing screenshots of Link running in the backstreet of Hyrule market town and being amazed at how good they looked.

OoT-Lamp_Post_NPS.jpg

VB32

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like he grafted the beta assets into the final ROM.

I dislike how he calls these "unused stages", when they're actually just environments to test the game physics in.

It's not just assets, the maps are fully functional, unlike some other attempts. The mirror room test map is good example. Tons of stuff is going on there

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
I used to spend so much time on Zelda fansites, especially Odyssey of Hyrule, back in the day. Let me tell you, I believed every single one of those rumors and triforce hunt tidbits.

This is all really bringing me back to those days and I love it.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Man, I remember looking at screenshots in magazines for hours and imagining those locations. I hope we also found info about Turtle Rock in OoT:

jC3QIsa.png

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I remember looking at screenshots in magazines for hours and imagining those locations. I hope we also found info about Turtle Rock in OoT:

jC3QIsa.png

Wouldn't this have been made into Dodongo Cavern in the final game? It looks similar in concept to dodongo statue of which eyes you bomb to access King Dodongo

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I used to spend so much time on Zelda fansites, especially Odyssey of Hyrule, back in the day. Let me tell you, I believed every single one of those rumors and triforce hunt tidbits.

This is all really bringing me back to those days and I love it.

Wow...just READING that name takes me back to so many memories and pouring over every bit of lore, rumor, theory and more that I could latch onto (when I should've been doing my homework)!

But yeah, same here.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't this have been made into Dodongo Cavern in the final game? It looks similar in concept to dodongo statue of which eyes you bomb to access King Dodongo
This was my first time ever seeing that screenshot, and that was my immediate first impression as well. Looks like it could be a lava-y area with that platform possibly being the same shape as what we see in the final game.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico

I thought the same, tho, the magazine specifically call it "Turtle Rock" and insinuates that may be related to "Link's Awakening" as it ponders if we would see locations from older Zelda games.

Tho, as I said, I did wonder if that just ended being the head inside Dodongo's Cavern in the final version

Marufuku

Feb 27, 2018
Apparently the OoT dungeon map render is secretly a floor map for the Nintendo headquarters, lol.

3nSaWL4.jpg
To be honest ... to me Luigi looks more like pointing up

Haha yeah. That Securtity Guard's post is still there!
It is the small building left to the entrance!
FjlRKYW.jpg

The Zelda map is based on the previous Nintendo Headquarters, they moved to the one in Martin's post in 2000.

Most of the buildings in the land were demolished, the ones that remain currently houses Mario Club (Nintendo's debugging team).

A7754-F8-A-FDDA-4-B7-D-BC8-A-2778281746-D6.jpg

98-ADE454-3709-4779-8-CD7-FA266-D834425.jpg

337413-A5-20-DF-46-DB-80-D5-B9540598666-A.jpg

Last edited:

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw on twitter some sprites of a 2D Link in the style of Adventures of Link. Were those real? Were they actually developing a side-scrolling game for SNES?

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Someone got the full proto walkthrough for "Sleep" uploaded.
Has all 6 levels, (only 3 are actually working) and shows off the menu warping at the end. \
Note that the sound is added in as it contains no music/sfx.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Let's not get carried away. Those spikes are just the three triangles from the Sheikah symbol.
Ahh, you're right! Still, those Sheikah eyelashes in here still remind me of her ponytails, intentional or not. Since the Sheikah originated from this game, it wouldn't surprise me if at some point the two were related.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Someone got the full proto walkthrough for "Sleep" uploaded.
Has all 6 levels, (only 3 are actually working) and shows off the menu warping at the end. \
Note that the sound is added in as it contains no music/sfx.

Nice! So this prototype is played with the mouse, but I assume this was intended to be a SuperScope game ultimately? Possibly one of the mini-games on SuperScope 15?

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
The lips on the lens of truth are probably to make it consistent with the mask of truth's mouth and the gossip stones lips.

FK7Bxmj.jpg

fKl8myS.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
México
This thread is transporting me back to 1998.

Too poor back then, and I didn't have a computer or Internet, but I spent some of my time at cyber-cafes, paying by the hour. I spent my time and money searching videogames information, specially about Ocarina of Time (and I use to wrote all the secrets and tips on a notebook). I didn't even understand English very well back then.

I do remember that the majority of websites were Geocities and Angelfire ones; those websites always had the best information. Unfortunately I can't remember the names.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA