• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
Update:

Unreal Championship 2 source code got leaked, for the Microsoft Xbox console.

Goes by Avaris. This is part of the Gigaleak series.

www.businessinsider.com

Internal source code from 50 high-profile companies including Microsoft, Disney, and Nintendo has been leaked and posted online for people to access

"Losing control of the source code on the internet is like handing the blueprints of a bank to robbers," a security expert told tech blog Tom's Guide.

VcFpTEH.png

Hmm wait a minute. Why would this be part of an iQue leak?

Animal Crossing Human NPC Discovery
OP
OP
Lady Bow

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Megaton Animal Forest Discovery:

TAD6F1o.png

6BCzXjN.png

0GJeSK6.jpg

ApnDInk.png

RXbZJ4w.png

For those unaware, in Animal Forest you were originally going to control animals and it was mostly going to be human NPCs. These models that were just unearthed are a relic of that first phase of development. This information came from a 2008 interview here:

Iwata - At that time what were the animals like?

Eguchi - You just issued commands to them with simple button presses.

Nogami - The system was set up so that each player had their own animals at their disposal.

Iwata - That is somewhat RPG-like isn't it - having your teammates following behind you.

Nogami - There were various different kinds of animals, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. The player is powerless, so they would issue commands to the animals as they proceed forward, and eventually you would come to a place where you simply couldn't proceed forward with the animals you had at your disposal.

EDIT: 8/1/20 Animations + New Character Discovered

xITpzOC.gif

UZMReaf.png

wWtTDLz.png

Last edited:

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Megaton Animal Forest Discovery:

TAD6F1o.png

6BCzXjN.png

0GJeSK6.jpg

ApnDInk.png

RXbZJ4w.png

For those unaware, in Animal Forest you were originally going to control animals and it was mostly going to be human NPCs. These models just unearthed are a relic of that first phase of development. This information came from a 2008 interview here:

I'm so happy they went with the latter, the game is so much better for it. These leaks keep me sane during quarantine, may they continue for a 1000 lifetimes.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Wing Mario is quite the sight to behold. Damn. I can only imagine though parents in the 90s freaking out over "Angel Mario."

Oh we're on AC on 64? I wanna see Dinosaur Planet and Resident Evil 0. I doubt those would be in this leak but let's dream

I would guess the pre-Star Fox Dinosaur Planet files are on Rare's servers still...if at all lol.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wing Mario is a revelation. Nice to see where they got the idea for the winged cap in Mario 64.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
PSA: The Lens of Truth has....lips

xdKH8Ma.png
Not to take away from your find, but it seems there was artwork for it previously? Not sure where they got it from.
zelda.gamepedia.com

Lens of Truth

The Lens of Truth,(OoT | MM | HW) also referred to as the Eye of Truth,(OoT) is a recurring Item in The Legend of Zelda series. In Ocarina of Time, the Lens of Truth is found at the Bottom of the Well, where Dead Hand guards it. Link first hears about it when Professor Shikashi in Kakariko...

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Not to take away from your find, but it seems there was artwork for it previously? Not sure where they got it from.
zelda.gamepedia.com

Lens of Truth

The Lens of Truth,(OoT | MM | HW) also referred to as the Eye of Truth,(OoT) is a recurring Item in The Legend of Zelda series. In Ocarina of Time, the Lens of Truth is found at the Bottom of the Well, where Dead Hand guards it. Link first hears about it when Professor Shikashi in Kakariko...

All of these renders have been displayed before in magazines and the like, just not necessarily in this raw quality.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this is cool. So let me get this straight: Yoshi's Island started development as a Donkey Kong game? Is this new knowledge based on the leak? I'm sorry if this has been answered somewhere else in this thread.

Yeah, you can browse through the first few pages after the first threadmark since this was one of the first discoveries - it seems (this is all conjecture, mind you) that at first YI was developed as Super Donkey starring what most assume is Stanley the bugman from Donkey Kong 3. After Rare approached Nintendo with DKC (which, incidentally is called Super Donkey Kong in Japan in line with other franchises e.g. Super Metroid) the game was repurposed for Yoshi-based game, initially starring a non-descript baby in blue pajamas (not unlike the robes Kamek wears), before becoming the game we know. It's absolutely fascinating.

TurdFerguson

Oct 28, 2017
Norway
Yeah, you can browse through the first few pages after the first threadmark since this was one of the first discoveries - it seems (this is all conjecture, mind you) that at first YI was developed as Super Donkey starring what most assume is Stanley the bugman from Donkey Kong 3. After Rare approached Nintendo with DKC (which, incidentally is called Super Donkey Kong in Japan in line with other franchises e.g. Super Metroid) the game was repurposed for Yoshi-based game, initially starring a non-descript baby in blue pajamas (not unlike the robes Kamek wears), before becoming the game we know. It's absolutely fascinating.
Thank you so much for this summary! I agree, this is super fascinating.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
There is just so much to take in with all these revelations. Is there already a post or a video that summarises the cool discoveries done ?

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I'm not even really a fan of Yoshi's Island but I think Super Donkey was the most interesting thing that came out of this leak so far. Really cool look into the intermediate transitions from "SMB5" to Donkey Kong revival to original Yoshi concept. Even little things like the origin of the big Goomba Shoe ground pound that was later touched up and reused for Mario Maker is cool as hell.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, this is cool. So let me get this straight: Yoshi's Island started development as a Donkey Kong game? Is this new knowledge based on the leak? I'm sorry if this has been answered somewhere else in this thread.

What was found so far seems to hint at that, but it's mostly just speculation based on what was found. The prototype was called "Super Donkey", some sprites of a monkey with a red tie were found in the data, heavy emphasis on climbing/hanging mechanics. The main character has been theorized to be Stanley from DK3 or Mario based on his looks. I mean it *could* be that, but it might just be temp names they used just to prototype ideas with nothing specific in mind.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
I'm skeptical that Super Donkey was specifically a Donkey Kong game, but given the dates on the files, the earliest prototypes date back to only a year after the first Super Mario World (1992), so probably a little more than a year before Donkey Kong Country entered production (1993). Makes me more curious about the actual timeline of all this stuff, because it's been said Yoshi's Island developed its art style as a way to kind of defy Donkey Kong Country. Supposedly, Nintendo's higher-ups wanted more pre-rendered games like DKC, and Miyamoto wanted to do something completely different.

I guess it's possible the Super Donkey prototype wasn't working out (it certainly looks plenty weird) so they shelved the idea, and when it came up to do a collaboration with Rare, somebody mentioned they were trying to develop a Donkey Kong game. Something similar happened with Star Fox Adventures -- Nintendo was on the hunt for a Star Fox 64 sequel and it ended up landing in Rare's lap. It's possible that only happened because something similar lead to Donkey Kong Country.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I assume this means this would not work on a real super Nintendo because memory management relies upon objects being unloaded from memory as they are passed, would this be a correct assumption?

I imagine this would crash on emulator too, that video doesn't show them going very far into the level.

JoshuaJSlone

Dec 27, 2017
Indiana
I don't see what everyone else is with regard to the speculation of the Super Donkey character being Stanley. He's wearing completely different clothes than Stanley, and beyond that all we can see of the Super Donkey character is light skin and a big nose, which goes for a hell of a lot of characters.
I'm skeptical that Super Donkey was specifically a Donkey Kong game, but given the dates on the files, the earliest prototypes date back to only a year after the first Super Mario World (1992)
Remember SNES (and SMW with it) launched in late '90 in Japan, so there is a bit more time between.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Oh shit, we're getting into Animal Crossing/Forest beta?? That will be super cool. Animal Forest on N64 (original release) is so odd to see, compared to what we got on Gamecube in NA. I am excited to see whatever they dig up. Even reading the old IGN interviews from late 1999 where they're discussing a new life simulator game is super interesting. The human models that were found, are a super cool find!

TurdFerguson

Oct 28, 2017
Norway
What was found so far seems to hint at that, but it's mostly just speculation based on what was found. The prototype was called "Super Donkey", some sprites of a monkey with a red tie were found in the data, heavy emphasis on climbing/hanging mechanics. The main character has been theorized to be Stanley from DK3 or Mario based on his looks. I mean it *could* be that, but it might just be temp names they used just to prototype ideas with nothing specific in mind.
I think I read somewhere earlier today that the Super Donkey prototype share some data with the final Yoshi's Island build, but I can't find that comment now. There is also the possibility that I misunderstood or unintentionally filled in some blanks and made the connection in my own head. :P Regardless, it's fun to think about what a SNES Donkey Kong plaformer from EAD would look like.