• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
The Mel Blanc screams is some nightmarish stuff

Was always wondering what the really high-pitched Mario voice in the betas was, really cool that it was Mel Blanc!

Even if it was stock audio and knowing he died years before Mario 64 came out, would have been cool if the most legendary voice actor of all time had the chance to lend his voice to the most iconic video game character of all time. But that's okay, Martinet's Mario voice became legendary in its own right.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
This one blows my mind. Seeing the Arwing launch base like this had me smiling from ear to ear =) .

(Slightly off-topic: would love to see a 60fps Star Fox mod one day. Except for the framerate that game holds up quite well!)
It would be a pretty complicated endeavor. It's not just the limits of the FX chip (which contrary to belief isn't doing ALL of the work, just most of it) but the root SNES itself. They also have to basically redo all of the animations since they were locked at 20fps.

It's a lot more work than simply uncommenting some code, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone pulls it off with a custom emulator+rom combo.

Apr 9, 2019
It would be a pretty complicated endeavor. It's not just the limits of the FX chip (which contrary to belief isn't doing ALL of the work, just most of it) but the root SNES itself. They also have to basically redo all of the animations since they were locked at 20fps.

It's a lot more work than simply uncommenting some code, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone pulls it off with a custom emulator+rom combo.
Thanks for the insight, that makes sense! Still a steady 20fps even would be quite the improvement in many scenarios =P .

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Is that Peach and Bowser shacked up

Not just that, but Mario, Luigi, and Peach all appear to be naked, any bit of the sprite we can actually see is skin/flesh colored. I think the implication is more that they're in casual clothing/undergarments since they'd be resting at home, but still.

(Yoshi is clearly naked though, his saddle is hanging on the ledge)

Who is that below Yoshi and next to Kirby? Can't quite make it out.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
I think one of the more fun discoveries is how iterative Nintendo is when it comes to taking past ideas and using them in new games.

I think that's one reason why I really enjoyed BOTW. It's a culmination of everything Nintendo has been trying to do with 3D Zelda since the beginning. And the crown jewel of 3D Zelda, Ocarina of Time, has an extraordinarily strong foundation thanks to its 2D origin games. Bit by bit, Nintendo strove to build open where they couldn't build before. It's really something to see the the ramp-up to the master class adventure game; it all started somewhere, even if there were a lot of stumbles and cut content along the way.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
bKgG8kG.gif

Someone is modifying the GBC source code.

Super Mario 64 Beta Mario Model
OP
OP
Lady Bow

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
The beta model for Mario has been found that was used in the 1995 builds (Shoshinkai). One of the biggest differences is that Beta Mario's hair is noticeably pointier (lower poly). Mario's head also seems to be lower.

9Vojkog.png

9yrDsKn.png

Much obliged!

JiinZXf.jpg

Is the model the same, vertex-wise, or it's an updated model?

The Mario 64 Odyssey costume is using the final Mario design from 64. (although slightly modified) If they were using the beta model the hair would be pointy.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2020
I'm absolutely loving all the beta findings for OoT. I used to be really into modding OoT (I used to go by Jason777) -- the recent leak has been a dream come true.

Also, restored animations for beta magic...

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png
Someone posted this on discord, what I always thought was an early version of lost woods might be hyrule field?

for reference
4231558.png

Hmm, that's an interesting idea.

Like, my immediate reaction upon seeing the castle was that it's strange they modeled the outside of the gates, and had screenshots posed outside - if it was a hub like Clock Town, the exterior and interior would be entirely different areas, right? So there'd have to be something outside of the walls, which kind of defeats the purpose of the four exists going to different places.

I can imagine foggy woods being a good way to make such a huge place actually run, masking the loading/unloading of everything. Imagine running through the woods and seeing those huge walls slowly fading into view...

Deleted member 30395

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
unknown.png
Someone posted this on discord, what I always thought was an early version of lost woods might be hyrule field?

for reference
4231558.png

I think this is a really solid theory. Here's a slightly edited (quickly and crudely) version of the pic with the contrast, black point and exposure shifted. Def looks like a wall and a gate entrance.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Actually, Super Mario 64 has a different voice actor, Leslie Swan. For Super Mario 64 DS, they brought her back to do new voices, so she actually DOES say "Luigi" (along with "Yoshi" and "Wario") in that game at the end.

...No, not that I'm aware of. She only says "Yoshi" twice, despite the fact that you are forced to beat the game with Mario. It actually really annoyed me at the time how much they rewrote the game to be centered around Yoshi. (Nintendo seemed kind of obsessed with the green dino for a period.) She doesn't mention Wario or Luigi, to my knowledge, and doesn't even say Mario's name anymore.

That's not to say there aren't voice samples of Leslie Swan saying their names from elsewhere, but not the ending.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This changes so much of the mystique I had around the "beta Lost Woods". To think this location could be this close to Hyrule Castle.

Jul 27, 2020
In the February 99 issue of Next Generation, they ask Miyamoto about Mario 64 2:
"The prototype of Mario 64 2 has been kept on my desk, and remains untouched-Luigi and Mario are running on the display i have. originally, i wanted to make it for the DD system, but i havent touched it because of Zelda.Maybe i oculd aska different group to work on it for me, or perhaps we could make it on a new system, but right now, i dont know.''
--
Also, concering SMW, the Yoshi wings using the leftover Mario Wing powerup, Mario also uses the WingCap in Mario64, so that seemed to carry over from the Mario Wing idea.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
...No, not that I'm aware of. She only says "Yoshi" twice, despite the fact that you are forced to beat the game with Mario. It actually really annoyed me at the time how much they rewrote the game to be centered around Yoshi. (Nintendo seemed kind of obsessed with the green dino for a period.) She doesn't mention Wario or Luigi, to my knowledge, and doesn't even say Mario's name anymore.

That's not to say there aren't voice samples of Leslie Swan saying their names from elsewhere, but not the ending.
Ah sorry, you're right; I totally misremembered that somehow. I could've sworn the Princess at one point called out everyone's name.

The ending in that game is way more awkward than I remembered, though, how the Princess only calls out Yoshi by name, but then kisses Mario, and poor Luigi and Wario are just standing there doing nothing lol.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ah sorry, you're right; I totally misremembered that somehow. I could've sworn the Princess at one point called out everyone's name.

The ending in that game is way more awkward than I remembered, though, how the Princess only calls out Yoshi by name, but then kisses Mario, and poor Luigi and Wario are just standing there doing nothing lol.

Yeah, it was a completely weird call. As was making a game where unlocking all 4 characters was a big deal, but locking the final boss to just one character, and not even the character you started with.

Oct 26, 2017
I know the heavy fog is a consequence of hardware limitations but damn the haziness of the beta OoT screenshots are so atmospheric and eerie even this many years later lol. I used to go nuts analyzing them as a kid

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I know the heavy fog is a consequence of hardware limitations but damn the haziness of the beta OoT screenshots are so atmospheric and eerie even this many years later lol. I used to go nuts analyzing them as a kid

Reminds me of how I obsessed over Twilight Princess pre-release footage back when it was Zelda '05. Those early trailers had this heavy, almost apocalyptic atmosphere. I'm still bummed we never saw anything like that forest at night from the 2nd trailer.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of how I obsessed over Twilight Princess pre-release footage back when it was Zelda '05. Those early trailers had this heavy, almost apocalyptic atmosphere. I'm still bummed we never saw anything like that forest at night from the 2nd trailer.
Even though I love OOT the most(it's also my goat) I'm more interested into TP beta stuff. Maybe because TP was the game I hyped the most.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even though I love OOT the most(it's also my goat) I'm more interested into TP beta stuff. Maybe because TP was the game I hyped the most.
Yeah I was pretty hyped for TP too. Don't hate the final game but don't particularly love it either but I'm similar in that I kept watching the various trailer and videos and was bit disappointed in not seeing some of the stuff from it in the final release.

One I can think off the top of my head (and goes along with my obsession with forests in Zelda since OOT I guess) is the seemingly bigger forest area from the pre-release stuff
zeldatpbetawoods1.jpg

zeldatpbetawoods.jpg

This little lake/pond is also something I was sad to not see in the final game
zeldatpbetapond2.jpg

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I was pretty hyped for TP too. Don't hate the final game but don't particularly love it either but I'm similar in that I kept watching the various trailer and videos and was bit disappointed in not seeing some of the stuff from it in the final release.

One I can think off the top of my head (and goes along with my obsession with forests in Zelda since OOT I guess) is the seemingly bigger forest area from the pre-release stuff
zeldatpbetawoods1.jpg

zeldatpbetawoods.jpg

zeldatpbetapond2.jpg
This game also have a fascinating dev story

it was in a development hell...and i think this game that is in the trailers were real at some point

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

zeldatpbetawoods1.jpg

zeldatpbetawoods.jpg

zeldatpbetapond2.jpg
Exactly like me....I'm obsessed about those pics too....XD
Spent a lot of hours looking for the beta forest. TP is still my third favorite Zelda game(behind oot and mm) but I expected(maybe unrealistically) it to be much more than it is.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I remember an issue of GameFan that had photos of Zelda 64 but can't remember if it was this issue because my cousin Azula destroyed it.

Those photos stood out to me because it was drastically different than what we got with OOT

s-l1600.jpg

I have this issue and just checked. There's no Zelda stuff in it.