• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 2, 2017
I wonder if we'll get beta images or footage from super mario 64. That's one game I would love to see some of that beta stuff from .

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Nintendo should make the most out of a bad situation. It has been already mentioned how they could create a sort of digital museum for rarities and unused stuff. They could even charge for it and I see many people would pay for the service. Another thing would be creating some sort of online academy for game development. The source code is already out there, so why not make a profit explaining what it does and what you can do with it?

This would not only benefit Nintendo but the industry. Game development is a very secretive craft, and many of the best practices are unknown not only to many indie developers, but to the public in general. A better understanding of the efforts that go into making a game could even make your audience understand why sometimes you need to delay a game or why it takes so long to finish making one.

OP
OP
Lady Bow

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Beta Link Walking Sprite

ZH9hpjr.gif

g4BTY15.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda hope they find the source code to Yoshi's Story.

I would love to see how it changed through development and to get an eventual mod for someone to make it harder.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Ikegami, after Nintendo got screwed by them they learned they need to own the code and keep it.
Also given Nintendo licensed the original arcade DK (and DKJr) to Hamster for Arcade Archives releases, and there's no rights credit on them to Ikegami, I would assume Nintendo's since acquired any rights to that code too now.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
It's not something a human would find intrusive.

A) He doesn't seem upset at all. He seems more nostalgic about it. Remembering the times he was working at Nintendo

I feel for all the developers who are having their work laid bare, in a state it's never intended to be seen. And now folks are reaching out to Dylan and asking for context and explanations for some of the comments in code. That's gotta be frustrating.

On the other hand, I'm really enjoying the discoveries in this leak, and I think there's a lot to be learned from all of this.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland

OMFG this is amazing. Thank you. 31 years after knowing about Dragonfly, reading EGM issue #2 - their 4 page Super Nintendo / Super Famicom article in the summer of 1989.

Thank you andymcc and Rusty, and everyone who worked on getting this out there.

Edit: I have more to say about Dragonfly and Pilotwings, and more, which I'll write pretty soon in the next hour or so, but I only just woke up a little while ago and am in desperate need of coffee.

EGM #18 January 1991. Letters.

vzFpNKX.jpg
LA6lJIg.jpg

As mentioned though, DragonFly was actually repurposed into Pilotwings, a completely different game, not just a name change. Think of DragonFly as a concept / tech demo / game, which was never released on the Super Famicom, but its extensive use of Mode 7 laid the ground work for what would become Pilotwings. There was roughly 2 years between DragonFly being shown in late 1988, and Pilotwings being released in late 1990 in Japan. Another 9 months or so before the SNES released in the U.S.

Last edited:

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
OMFG this is amazing. Thank you. 31 years after knowing about Dragonfly, reading EGM issue #2 - their 4 page Super Nintendo / Super Famicom article in the summer of 1989.

Thank you andymcc and Rusty, and everyone who worked on getting this out there.

Edit: I have more to say about Dragonfly and Pilotwings, and more, which I'll write pretty soon in the next hour or so, but I only just woke up a little while ago and am in desperate need of coffee.

EGM #18 January 1991. Letters.

vzFpNKX.jpg
LA6lJIg.jpg

As mentioned though, DragonFly was actually repurposed into Pilotwings, a completely different game, not just a name change. Think of DragonFly as a concept / tech demo / game, which was never released on the Super Famicom, but its extensive use of Mode 7 laid the ground work for what would become Pilotwings. There was roughly 2 years between DragonFly being shown in late 1988, and Pilotwings being released in late 1990 in Japan. Another 9 months or so before the SNES released in the U.S.
I thought the rule was don't talk about Flight Club

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I can't think of many SNES games with a framerate that high.
You mean 'number of frames', right? Since most games ran back then at a 60hz refresh rate as the standard.
It's a lot of frames sure but not something the SNES was incapable of. It's about as smooth as X's running animation I think:

image-asset.gif

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
when do they think these sprites came from? Zelda 3? i thought this was found elsewhere within this leak. maybe this is from the oft rumored Zelda II BS?
Even if it was much later, it'd be hard to believe since they would have had to have similar high frame rate for all characters/enemies/sprites or it would stand out.

Unless it was going to end up in a SNES CD game, which isn't impossible.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Also given Nintendo licensed the original arcade DK (and DKJr) to Hamster for Arcade Archives releases, and there's no rights credit on them to Ikegami, I would assume Nintendo's since acquired any rights to that code too now.

That's got me wondering. Is there a first party game of Nintendo's that's unreleasable due to legal issues, that isn't because they flat out don't own the IP (i.e. Popeye, SimCity, Yoshi's Cookie or the Mike Tyson version of Punch-Out)?

It seems like every one deemed to be a "problem" has been released at least once. EarthBound, Donkey Kong 64, the SuperFX games, the arcade DK and DK Jr. Were they ever problems, or is Nintendo future-proofing them by clearing any legal hurdles for rereleases?

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
when do they think these sprites came from? Zelda 3? i thought this was found elsewhere within this leak. maybe this is from the oft rumored Zelda II BS?

I can only hope that one of these leaks lead to a lot of new info on Satellaview games. There's a ton of mystery surrounding that thing with so much of it being basically lost media. Actually getting copies of the soundlink files that were broadcasted would be amazing.

OP
OP
Lady Bow

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
I've got big news with regards to the 3D models discovered yesterday. Will post findings soon.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas

I feel for all the developers who are having their work laid bare, in a state it's never intended to be seen. And now folks are reaching out to Dylan and asking for context and explanations for some of the comments in code. That's gotta be frustrating.

On the other hand, I'm really enjoying the discoveries in this leak, and I think there's a lot to be learned from all of this.

Is he annoyed or truly frustrated? He's surprised mostly and even mentions wanting to see his old game X's source code.
He loves talking about old programming days and the methods they thought of back then. He'd just as easily could ignore questions about it.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
People be complaining about a breach of copyright but they're more than willing to steal art assets from copyrighted stuff and use it on every forum/social media account they go on. Get some introspective if you want to preach about this kind of thing.