• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Mute City uncompressed. shiiiiiiiiit

Vocaroo | Online voice recorder

Vocaroo is a quick and easy way to share voice messages over the interwebs.

edit: and Big Blue

Vocaroo | Online voice recorder

Vocaroo is a quick and easy way to share voice messages over the interwebs.
It's actually really cool to learn they basically used these original arrangements verbatim (there are some slight changes, but very minimal) when they had the chance to with Melee.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
That's what it sounds to me as well.

F-Zero X got an official soundtrack CD anyway so this leak isn't offering anything new.

the stuff uploaded to Vocaroo sounds like same mix/instrumentation as the OST version but squashed to mono with the mids/low-mids scooped out. Both of which are baffling to me, but I'm not super familiar with N64's audio capabilities. I would assume whoever was in charge of audio felt this was necessary whether due to a technical limitation or game usage considerations so it wouldn't get in the way of SFX, etc.

In any case, if anyone wanted to insert 'better' versions of the music, they might as well use the OST version just to get stereo if nothing else.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Oh yeah, here's the stuff that was in fuckbees.zip.

PVzKErR.png
Could you please post some of the images and word docs? I'd love to see this stuff but can't find a download link

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
the stuff uploaded to Vocaroo sounds like same mix/instrumentation as the OST version but squashed to mono with the mids/low-mids scooped out. Both of which are baffling to me, but I'm not super familiar with N64's audio capabilities. I would assume whoever was in charge of audio felt this was necessary whether due to a technical limitation or game usage considerations so it wouldn't get in the way of SFX, etc.

It was a space consideration, primarily. If you play the 64DD version you get stereo tracks.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, as far as I'm aware, the cartridge F-Zero X just has large mono samples containing the already finished music and just plays those in full. They're quite low quality, I remember trying to play them after extracting and they were at a very high pitch/speed, maybe due to issues with the 22KHz sample rate.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Alright I need to get to bed. It's 3:18AM in the morning... and people are just jumping onto new leaks whenever... Why it must happen while it's daytime in Japan?

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Just peeking at the StarFox 2 folders.
Love the random Mike Oldfield biography text document.

Also comments on the PlayStation specs from Argonaut? haha

Hardware Specifications
Thus dids't the Playstation come forth from the dark alleys of Tokyo... This
is one serious gaming machine. SNES, Megadrive, 32X, Jaguar and 3DO all pale
besides this monster. The PSX has 5 processors running concurrently, similar
to the Atari Jaguar. Then main processor is the powerful LSI R3000A 32 bit
RISC processor, running at 33.8 Mhz. In addition to it, there is a 66 MIPS
High-speed Matrix Processor for calculating 3D polygons, there is a graphics
processor for displaying sprites (2D) at 60 frames a second, a sound
processor for doing CD quality sound and a 80 MIPS Data Expansion Engine
for decompressing graphics and sound data from the CD-ROM.
What does it all mean? Well, this machine is built for 3D! And since that
is where the games are going, we're all set. (In all fairness it should be
mentioned that the Sega Saturn is on par with, if not better than, the PSX
on 2D scrolling games, note 2D only. However, this is not a problem since
these machines are lightyears ahead of the competition anyways!)

CPU
· R3000A 32bit RISC chip @ 33.8mhz - Manufactured by LSI Logic Corp.
· Clearing capacity: 30 MIPS
· Bus bandwidth: 132 Mb/sec
As stated above, a very kuel CPU, slamming the 68000 in the Jaguar and the
ARM 60 in the 3DO, even the Hitachis in the Saturn! A high bus bandwith is
important when using lots of colors in fast moving animations! (Like
Tohshinden)

3D Geometry Engine
· High speed matrix calculator
· Clearing capacity: 66 MIPS
· 1.5 million flat-shaded polygons/sec
· 500,000 texture-mapped and light-sourced polygons/sec
Ahhh, the key to the ultimate 3D performance. Note, however that the above
specs are rather optimistic. There is a slight difference between displaying
random polygons on screen and calculating whether or not a polygon will be
visible or not as the arm is lifted in defense, then shown according to the
position it is in. Toshinden achieves 80.000 of the latter polygons, a very
impressive number for such an early game. Expect this to increase as the
programmers really get to know the hardware. Luckily the Playstation
development setup is hailed as being among the best in the industry.

Data Engine (MDEC)
· Clearing capacity: 80 MIPS
· CPU, direct bus connection
· Also compatible with JPEG, MPEG1, H.261 files
A very important player. It even helps cutting down load time, since the
data can be loaded from the CD in compressed form, then uncompressed on the
fly by this baby! Note the support for industry formats, not just
proprietary.

Sound
· ADPCM, 24 channels
· Sampling frequency: 44.1 Khz
CD quality sound! What more could you ask for... Well, since you ask, it
would have been nice if it had a little bit better sound support. By all
means, it is great for using sound of the CD, but more or less incapable
of producing sound on its own. Oh well, you won't notice it!

Graphics
· 16.7 million colors
· Resolution: 256x224 - 740x480
· Sprite/BG drawing
· Adjustable frame buffer
· No line restriction
· Unlimited CLUTs (Color Look-Up Tables)
· 4,000 8x8 pixel sprites with individual scaling and rotation
· Simultaneous backgrounds (Parallax scrolling)
· 360,000 polygons/sec
Why do people question these specs? OK, so the Saturn might be a bit
better on 2D, but read the specs again. Parodius has some slowdown, NOT
because of lacking hardware, but due to programmers not used to the system
. Raiden has less slowdown, i.e. more experienced programmers. So in
6-9 months we should see no more slowdowns in 2D scrolling games. Relax,
the hardware CAN handle it!

Memory
· Main RAM: 2 Megabytes
· VRAM: 1 Megabyte
· Sound RAM: 512 K
· CD-ROM buffer: 256K
· Operating System ROM: 512K
· RAM cards for data save: 128K EEprom
Hey, it's more RAM than any others console out there! Stuff can be stored
in RAM in compressed form, then uncompressed on the fly in game. So don't
expect that this will limit its performance. (You just can't compare how
much RAM the PSX has vs. a PC. It is a totally different concept!)

CD-ROM
· Double speed
· XA compliant
It's faster than any of ther other CD systems out there! And they sometimes
even let you play games while you are waiting. (We're talking 6-7
seconds.....)

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
So we got F-Zero and Star Fox music uncompressed

What about SM64 or OOT? Having those would be a much bigger deal. Would suck if they were the ones left out

Jun 2, 2019
I'm a bit conflicted about all this

On one side, i enjoy alpha and beta stuff inmensely, i have always loved to know about pre-release stuff and the differences fascinate me.

On the other, i can't help but to think that this is somehow wrong. Like, we're looking at something that wasn't mean to be looked at.

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
So we got F-Zero and Star Fox music uncompressed

What about SM64 or OOT? Having those would be a much bigger deal. Would suck if they were the ones left out
F Zeros music was digital audio, not sequenced like SM64 and Zelda's. With Star Fox it was just the dialog which was uncompressed, as it also has sequenced music.

SM64 and OoTs music is as good as it's gonna get.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada

On one side, i enjoy alpha and beta stuff inmensely, i have always loved to know about pre-release stuff and the differences fascinate me.

On the other, i can't help but to think that this is somehow wrong. Like, we're looking at something that wasn't mean to be looked at.

In either case, it's now out in the wild and there's nothing no one can do.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking for facts about the breach, I've found this.

yes this has been explained on nearly every page of the thread.

no one cares read the mod post at bottom of page.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Demo discs are not cheap... You had to pay upfront $450.
With any mass produced CD, DVD, Blu-Ray, etc. disc, a "master" needs to be made that will be used to stamp out / imprint each manufactured disc with the data. The master is usually made of glass, then coated in a thin layer of metal. Making that master is generally expensive, but once it's made, it can be used to very cheaply make tons of discs, at the cost of pennies. That's why most people who will manufacture discs for you have a high up-front cost, then the cost of each individual disc is really cheap.

More info on the manufacturing process: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc_manufacturing#Mastering

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Someone is teasing Paper Mario 64 leak...

With any mass produced CD, DVD, Blu-Ray, etc. disc, a "master" needs to be made that will be used to stamp out / imprint each manufactured disc with the data. The master is usually made of glass, then coated in a thin layer of metal. Making that master is generally expensive, but once it's made, it can be used to very cheaply make tons of discs, at the cost of pennies. That's why most people who will manufacture discs for you have a high up-front cost, then the cost of each individual disc is really cheap.

More info on the manufacturing process: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc_manufacturing#Mastering
Makes sense now.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How old demo carts and betas get lost by companies is either through the dev stealing their game from the company, the company giving it away to employees to take home, or simply forgetting about it and maybe even losing it in a move. There's actually a whole lot of reasons. It's why something like Earthbound's demo cart can be found, the item was simply given away to an employee to keep, and they took it home.

Something like the "leak" we're getting here is in no way comparable to any of those stories of how old demo carts get lost outside of a company and I wish that comparison would stop.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
no one cares read the mod post at bottom of page.
A lot of people in this thread have talked about the allure of mystery being shattered, which I think is rather fascinating. It's one thing to see beta pictures of Zelda 64 in magazines and wonder for years about what could have been, what other untold secrets are there, etc., but then when you finally get your hands on it and everything is laid out in front of you, it can definitely feel a bit emptying.

I'm pretty sure Reinhardt Schneider was referring to that, and not to the discussions that are banned via the mod post. All of these leaks are very overwhelming and as such can make a person feel emotions.

Jaq'or

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 6, 2018

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people in this thread have talked about the allure of mystery being shattered, which I think is rather fascinating. It's one thing to see beta pictures of Zelda 64 in magazines and wonder for years about what could have been, what other untold secrets are there, etc., but then when you finally get your hands on it and everything is laid out in front of you, it can definitely feel a bit emptying.

I'm pretty sure Reinhardt Schneider was referring to that, and not to the discussions that are banned via the mod post. All of these leaks are very overwhelming and as such can make a person feel emotions.
its not my problem that people cannot disassociate their emotions from things that shouldn't be kept in the dark.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Apparently the OoT dungeon map render is secretly a floor map for the Nintendo headquarters, lol.

3nSaWL4.jpg

Is that map in-game anywhere? This screenshot shows the in-game model looking like Dodongo's Cavern:

300px-LoZ_OoT_map_item.jpg

Maybe the map icon?

But that's still really cool.

its not my problem that people cannot disassociate their emotions from things that shouldn't be kept in the dark.
It's fine if you weren't interested in his post, but I was mostly just pointing out that it wasn't breaking the rules laid out by the mods.

Jun 2, 2019

Thank you. I just woke up and couldn't put it into words. Yeah, it's suddendly approachable. We're not looking at old screenshots on magazines, or old trailers or anything, it's just there. It gave me a shudder when tonight i was going through the thread and saw that beta Ganon tower room in a model viewer. And that Luigi model, whew.

You know it wouldn't hurt to be a bit less gruff.

Everyone is expressing their opinions and feelings over here. I agree on this needing to be revealed one way or another (It's why Iwata Asks were so revered) but there's some mysticism to this kind of stuff.

Making a 2 line post about how it feels to see all of this suddendly revealed isn't that hard of an offense.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GBA... Wonder if there's any Mother 3 content...

The station name is Toba-Kaido (鳥羽街道). I guess Hylian doesn't account for the dots and dashes above characters.
Yeah, OoT Hylian language is strictly kana with no small kana or punctuation marks, and lacks any distinction of diacritical letters. So it's very, very limited.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Do these little ghosts and Blooper start appearing on the released version of SF2? Still haven't played it.

Och0RJg.png

The rom is dated 1994-08-31 for what it's worth.
The CES named one (dated 1995-01-24) won't load for me, but perhaps someone will get it to work.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do these little ghosts and Blooper start appearing on the released version of SF2? Still haven't played it.

Och0RJg.png

The rom is dated 1994-08-31 for what it's worth.
The CES named one (dated 1995-01-24) won't load for me, but perhaps someone will get it to work.
Played the game and finished it, but I think never 100%. Never have seen them while playing SF2.
The Kirby sprite looks like the one from Links Awakening. Also the ghost on the right side.