• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
Labo isn't so much a new franchise as an experiment. Ring Fit is more or less a spiritual successor to Wii Fit. I'll give you ARMS though. Hopefully we get a sequel soon.

You've moved the goal posts far here. Things being experimental doesn't mean they aren't franchises. And Ring Fit isn't a spiritual successor to Wii Fit, it's a new franchise that's in the same genre as Wii Fit. They have nothing in common besides being fitness games from Nintendo.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon launched a the end of Wii U's life. I'd still consider it relatively new. There's only one sequel as of now. The third game was just announced.

There were four LABO games released. It's an IP, c'mon now.

Ring Fit Adventure may be a "spiritual successor" to Wii Fit in many ways, but it's still very much its own thing and it's also a new IP. Bloodborne is a separate IP from Dark Souls, despite sharing similar DNA.

True. I also didn't mention titles such as Snipperclips, The Stretchers, Astral Chain, and Good Job!....Nintendo and their partners are always cooking up new ideas.

Sushi Strikers still getting ignored. ;_;

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
Release some more DLC for MK8D you coward.

Also, ANC coming to the snatch that crown.

Can't wait for Ring Fit Adventure 2.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Splatoon launched a the end of Wii U's life. I'd still consider it relatively new. There's only one sequel as of now. The third game was just announced.

There were four LABO games released. It's an IP, c'mon now.

Ring Fit Adventure may be a "spiritual successor" to Wii Fit in many ways, but it's still very much its own thing and it's also a new IP. Bloodborne is a separate IP from Dark Souls, despite sharing similar DNA.

Okay, fair. It's a bit tough to consider Labo and Ring Fit as such as they weren't "games" as we typically think of them, but yeah, I'll go ahead and accept your corrections.

Besides, it's not like the other first-party pubs were pumping out new IPs. I think I can count the new IPs from the last generation on both Xbox One and PS4 on one hand.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Congrats for RFA hitting 10mil! And Animal Crossing Selling 32mil+ in 1 year! Is that a new record for an exclusive?
Those are the only games that hit 30 million units sold during their first year on the market:

Grand Theft Auto V (2013) > 34 million units on PlayStation 3 + Xbox 360
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (2017) > 40 million units on Steam + Xbox One
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019) > 30 million units on PlayStation 4 + Xbox One + battle.net
Animal Crossing: New Horizons (2020) - 32,63 million units on Nintendo Switch

Minecraft obviously wasn't anywhere near close to 30m during its first year but it might have done it in 2020 given that it sold 24 million units in 2019 and the market grew a lot due to the pandemic. However most of that comes from the cheap mobile version.

Last edited:

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
Origami King deserves better!

I know from my anecdotal experience that a lot of friends who might have been interested didn't even know about it. It was a pretty quiet release I guess, and divisive amongst the core fans who would be more plugged in.

I agree, i feel like the game would need a price cut since the gameplay doesn't seem appealing on paper (lol). But i've seen many being interested just not at full priced. To me, this game would benefit highly from being a Nintendo Select title.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
not many important games left

wiiuchartg3kec.png

DISCLAIMER: this is just a list of the notable first-party wii u games, with the ones that are available on switch, or the ones that don't need be ported because a sequel makes them unlikely to come to switch (splatoon, smash, mario maker) crossed out. it doesn't mean splatoon 2 or smash ultimate are ports, and also doesn't mean everything has a chance of getting ported (nintendo land, kirby).

I just want Xenoblade X and the Zelda Remasters at this point.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The original Paper Mario would probably score in the mid-80's if a game like it were released today. Using VC metrics to prove your point doesn't really work, as nostalgia plays a key factor in those reviews. It's being reviewed as an N64 game by people interested in revisiting legacy titles. And there's nothing wrong with that btw, but a new entry would not receive that type of treatment when being reviewed. Ultimately though, we're not getting a "traditional" PM anytime soon, if ever, so we'll just have to agree to disagree on this point, as there's not really a definitive way to prove it.

Also, an 80 on Metactric is absolutely a "fantastic" average for a game. Particularly for a mid-tier game like TOK.

I mean, I didn't want to say it in the first post because I knew what the reaction would be if I brought it up, but even Bug fables with it's very obvious budget limitations managed to get an 84 metacritic on Switch/85 on opencritic.

A first party title from Nintendo making the same kind of game really shouldn't have an excuse for barely scraping an 80 metacritic/78 opencritic.

Oct 27, 2017
Splatoon 2 is basically an enhanced port of the original with new features, right down to a lot of the exact same boss fights from the original. It's a stretch, but I'm willing to call it valid.

I'd also mark off Yoshi's Wooly World, while it wasn't on Switch, it did make 3DS.
Mario vs. DK was also on 3DS to begin with, and the better part of amiibo Festival and Game & Wario (namely Desert Island Escape and Gamer) were ported to 3DS as part of Welcome amiibo and Wario Ware Gold.

The list is missing Star Fox Guard, though.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Smash sales are fucking impressive.

Best selling fighting game of all time. Probably forever.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Splatoon 2 is basically an enhanced port of the original with new features, right down to a lot of the exact same boss fights from the original. It's a stretch, but I'm willing to call it valid.

I'd also mark off Yoshi's Wooly World, while it wasn't on Switch, it did make 3DS.
Wait what? A lot of the boss fights are exactly the same? Did we play different games?

In addition, if you're using the single player as an example, all of the levels are completely new in Splatoon 2. Did you even play the games?

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait what? A lot of the boss fights are exactly the same? Did we play different games?

In addition, if you're using the single player as an example, all of the levels are completely new in Splatoon 2. Did you even play the games?

i never got to play the original, i wish they added the bosses from 1 to 2 as dlc or free update.

Last edited:

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY

Are we back in 2017?
Lucky for you, Splatoon 2 is just a port and it's all exactly the same

-_-

I'd also love if they added the campaign from the original to part 2.

Alright, bad take, I haven't played Splatoon 2's single player but was going off of the claims made by a friend of mine who has played it. I did play through Splatoon 1. I now see he was wrong.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, bad take, I haven't played Splatoon 2's single player but was going off of the claims made by a friend of mine who has played it. I did play through Splatoon 1. I now see he was wrong.
Do yourself a favor and play the Octo Expansion single player campaign, it's easily the best of the 3 single player campaigns so far.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Did Three Houses outsell Fates? I remember it seemed like it was trending to but I never saw if it actually made it.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
AC isn't gonna catch MK8. MK9 is going to be one of the most hyped and anticipate releases for Nintendo in years. They know they have to nail it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did Three Houses outsell Fates? I remember it seemed like it was trending to but I never saw if it actually made it.
yeah. fates is 3M, 3H is 3.02M.
that's the number nintendo reports tho, fates didn't actually sell 3 million. the number is for the sales of the game + its dlc. so three houses easily passed fates a long time ago (see this thread).

OrionsNebula

Oct 25, 2017
Also interesting to note from these balance sheets that Nintendo has $20.2 billion USD in total current assets. I think they could afford many Wii U type failures before going under. Jeez

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Ring Fit being a spiritual successor to Wii Fit is an interesting take... the two games are nothing at all alike. They play completely differently in almost every way. The only thing they have in common is that they are fitness games.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sold 1,98m units last quarter and would need 1,99m during the current one to outsell Mario Kart Wii by June 30. I remember when people said that it wouldn't ever come close even when including the Wii U version lol.

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
Ring Fit being a spiritual successor to Wii Fit is an interesting take... the two games are nothing at all alike. They play completely differently in almost every way. The only thing they have in common is that they are fitness games.

Mario Kart and F-Zero on SNES are more similar than those two games, lol. So I guess Mario Kart is a spiritual successor to F-Zero. The franchise isn't dead after all!

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Luigi's Mansion 10 million here we coooooome

And Ring Fit isn't a spiritual successor to Wii Fit, it's a new franchise that's in the same genre as Wii Fit.

You're quite right it's not spiritual. It's full on successor. Wii fit fitness game --> Ring Fit fitness game. It's even the same name conversion

Last edited:

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 35.39M (+1.98M)
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 32.63M (+1.45M)
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 23.84M (+990K)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 22.28M (+830K)
  • Pokémon Sword/Shield - 21.10M (+750K)
  • Super Mario Odyssey - 20.83M (+600K)
  • Super Mario Party - 14.79M (+970K)

Top 7 selling games on Switch right now, and everything in bold (5 of those 7) is due for a new game either right now or within the next year. Pokemon's case is a little odd now given that Legends is coming out next January/February, which makes Gen 9 uncertain for 2022.

Either way, there should be a ton of major new Switch titles coming out in the next 12-18 months. I think the Splatoon 3 announcement confirmed that things are different now with Nintendo, and a Switch 2 is probably coming in 2025 at the earliest - meaning games like Mario Kart 9 may be coming sooner than we think.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I didn't want to say it in the first post because I knew what the reaction would be if I brought it up, but even Bug fables with it's very obvious budget limitations managed to get an 84 metacritic on Switch/85 on opencritic.

A first party title from Nintendo making the same kind of game really shouldn't have an excuse for barely scraping an 80 metacritic/78 opencritic.
I almost brought up Bug Fables, actually! I think, for what it is, ($25 indie game inspired by Paper Mario), 85 is a really tremendous score. I think you can't really directly compare Bug Fables to TOK though, as expectations from journalists are going to be different. They're also different in many ways. TOK is barely an RPG, as an example. I had major issues with Bug Fables, but I acknowledge it's a solid game.

Ultimately, while I think a new "traditional" Paper Mario would review well and sell well, I don't think it would see substantially different results than TOK did, at least commercially. Reviews-wise, yeah, it'd probably fare a bit better, as TOK has some polarizing design decisions.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only tough ones to bring back would be Microsoft & maybe Square Enix (Konami is a toss-up). Everyone else should be safe.

I don't think Microsoft would be all that difficult. They've been making licensing arrangements for Donkey Kong Country(and other stuff) with Microsoft since the Wii, and whilst there's been a few lapses they've been pretty good about renewing whatever deal they have.

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
Animal crossing NH helped me through the pandemic. I will always love that game. Well deserved sales.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Luigi's Mansion 10 million here we coooooome

You're quite right it's not spiritual. It's full on successor. Wii fit fitness game --> Ring Fit fitness game. It's even the same name conversion
The games are really nothing alike. Using the name fit in the title of a fitness game doesn't really mean it's a sequel. Ring Fit is an RPG game controlled with a completely different device. It's nothing like the balance board.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Okay, fair. It's a bit tough to consider Labo and Ring Fit as such as they weren't "games" as we typically think of them, but yeah, I'll go ahead and accept your corrections.
That is such a weird take, like Ring Fit is for all intents and purposes an RPG complete with worlds, sidequests, customizable attack loadout, items and a level up system, the only thing is that you use exercise to move and attack, not that different from DS and 3DS games making you use the stylus

Last edited:

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Answer this very simple question: do you think TOK is the absolute ceiling a Paper Mario can sell today? Would a Paper Mario with a similar critical reception to the first one, making year end best of list, ranking up GOTY nominations and staying in conversations much longer would have sold exactly the same?

I'm all for relativising the impact on WoM among enthusiast, but this "nothing matters" overcorrection is ridiculous.

Honestly I would say ~3 million is about the ceiling of how a Mario RPG will sell. I know people will look at the first two game dn say "they were limited based on their platforms" but even looking over at the Mario & Luigi RPG games, which were similarly praised for their writing and gameplay, none of them ever managed to cross more than around ~2 million when released on the GBA and DS.

And like it's weird saying this, but the Mario RPGs are "niche" in comparison to the other Mario Spinoffs and they always have been.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I don't understand why Nintendo hasn't released DLC for MK8 Deluxe. It doesn't even need to be original content.

Release a $20 or $25 DLC pack with all of the new tracks, karts and character skins from the first year or so of Mario Kart Tour. That would be enough for 3-4 cups (depending on how they handle the RMX tracks) and a large number of new characters/skins, karts and gliders.

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
Honestly I would say ~3 million is about the ceiling of how a Mario RPG will sell. I know people will look at the first two game dn say "they were limited based on their platforms" but even looking over at the Mario & Luigi RPG games, which were similarly praised for their writing and gameplay, none of them ever managed to cross more than around ~2 million when released on the GBA and DS.

And like it's weird saying this, but the Mario RPGs are "niche" in comparison to the other Mario Spinoffs and they always have been.

Bowser's Inside Story sold 4.5 million but that was definitely an outlier in the franchise.