• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019

Committee has just begun. The vote isn't far away and Labor has said it will support the motion. Here you go UK, a nice dramatic and incredibly consequential election right in time for Christmas.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
UK Parliament will soon decide
Doubt.png

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
First and foremost is a vote on an amendment that Labour put forward to set the date for December 9th.

It has been suggested that the government may pull the bill if it passes.

Worth noting too an amendment has been made to the bill that allows 16-year olds and EU nationals to vote. If that is approved, the bill will also be pulled.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As the others have said, there is no majority, but also crucially, there is no time. The UK doesn't have time to organise one before the next extension runs out.

So is there any good news here? Even if by some miracle labour wins a majority/forms a coalition to get a majority, are we just hoping they cancel Brexit? Even though Corbyn is a Eurosceptic?

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
So is there any good news here? Even if by some miracle labour wins a majority/forms a coalition to get a majority, are we just hoping they cancel Brexit? Even though Corbyn is a Eurosceptic?
We are hoping Labour, Liberal Democrats and SNP are together big enough to form a majority, and then do a referendum between Labour's Stupid Pipe Dream Deal which will be just as bad as BoJo's vs Remain.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing. Guessing it wouldn't have passed but I believe that would have been the right way to go. OAPs get their postal votes in then keel over, meanwhile 16 year olds have to look on, with no voice, as the aged vote against their grandkids best interests.
While I sympathise, those amendments were fairly inherently out of scope, given that either of them being implemented would have made a December election impossible.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
the uk parliament deciding anything ?
holy shit are you sure about that ?

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Fucking have to deal with Tories winning an election at the one time of year I can put them out my mind.

Hate this for many other reasons (turnout, ID checks etc) but taking fucking Christmas from me like the Grinch sucks.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I delved into a Twitter thread earlier where someone dared to suggest that denying 16 year olds the vote (who are able to legally work and pay tax - rightly quoting "no taxation without representation"), based on them not knowing what they're talking about, was no better than denying the elderly the vote because they might not have their faculties. The mental gymnastics or plain denial was staggering.

Deleted member 60096

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
We are hoping Labour, Liberal Democrats and SNP are together big enough to form a majority, and then do a referendum between Labour's Stupid Pipe Dream Deal which will be just as bad as BoJo's vs Remain.
Pretty sure all three of those parties have spat in each other's faces in regards to forming a coalition, unless Corbyn steps down which I doubt he'd do unless forced out

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I delved into a Twitter thread earlier where someone dared to suggest that denying 16 year olds the vote (who are able to legally work and pay tax - rightly quoting "no taxation without representation"), based on them not knowing what they're talking about, was no better than denying the elderly the vote because they might not have their faculties. The mental gymnastics or plain denial was staggering.
Yeah, I think we're way past the point where "knowing what you're talking about" should be a bar for anything, as the last few years have so admirably illustrated.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
I know a lot of people didn't want an election but it is absolutely necessary. I'm reasonably optimistic about it too, while a Labour majority is extremely unlikely I think there's a very good chance we end up with a Parliament that can remove the Tories from power and deliver a public vote on Brexit.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It would be more a supply and demand I would imagine like the DUP/Tories but anyway Lib Dems are not going to say anything but no until after the election results.

I still can't see people not voting Tory, just hope they don't get a majority and lose enough seats, particularly in Scotland so they can't form a government like last time. You also have to hope the Brexit party just take votes away but don't actually win seats so they don't buddy up in desperation.

There is just too many voters who think Labour are trying to steal their money, their house and bankrupt the nation so would rather the Torres just fleece and screw us.

OT : Turkeys voting for Christmas at Christmas

OT : Winter is Cummings

OT : Gobble Gobble

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
It would be more a supply and demand I would imagine like the DUP/Tories but anyway Lib Dems are not going to say anything but no until after the election results.

I still can't see people not voting Tory, just hope they don't get a majority and lose enough seats, particularly in Scotland so they can't form a government like last time. You also have to hope the Brexit party just take votes away but don't actually win seats so they don't buddy up in desperation.

There is just too many voters who think Labour are trying to steal their money, their house and bankrupt the nation so would rather the Torres just fleece and screw us.

OT : Turkeys voting for Christmas at Christmas

OT : Winter of incompetence

OT : Winter is Gobble Gobble

I don't see the Tories getting the needed majority, and they'll have to rely on a coalition, something that apparently won't happen due to their Brexit Deal. Therefore, I'm cautiously optimistic of a Labour coalition.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see the Tories getting the needed majority, and they'll have to rely on a coalition, something that apparently won't happen due to their Brexit Deal. Therefore, I'm cautiously optimistic of a Labour coalition.
Good thing we can rely on the Lib Dems to stick to their principles rather than immediately jettison them for a chance to grab power.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't take anything the Lib Dem's say now as gospel- they're currently courting Remainer Tories, so of course they won't accept a pact for Corbyn... for the moment.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'd have to imagine the position of any leader who stood in the way of such a coalition would become instantly untenable.
You'd also imagine that if someone lost a no-confidence vote from their parliamentary constituency they'd step down but well, that didn't happen.

Corbyn inadvertently resurrecting the Lib Dems from complete and utter irrelevance is one of the most ridiculous substories amid all the Brexit chaos.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
You'd also imagine that if someone lost a no-confidence vote from their parliamentary constituency they'd step down but well, that didn't happen.

Corbyn inadvertently resurrecting the Lib Dems from complete and utter irrelevance is one of the most ridiculous substories amid all the Brexit chaos.

JC had the support of the Labour voters though, and always has afaik.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
JC had the support of the Labour voters though, and always has afaik.
The way the UK's political structure is set up means you generally end up with one leader for all 3 of the membership vote, the actual full party electorate, and the parliamentary caucus. Which become an issue when 1 or more of those constituencies are out of alignments with the others. And when those differences can't be resolved inside the party, you get what's happening now with it fracturing as a result of the inability to reconcile those differences.

This piece from back in 2016 placed the blame at voting reforms that aimed to open the process up instead backfiring massively, and ended up with a total called shot at the end regarding what would eventually happen. https://www.theguardian.com/comment...rship-battle-jeremy-corbyn-party-organisation

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
The way the UK's political structure is set up means you generally end up with one leader for all 3 of the membership vote, the actual full party electorate, and the parliamentary caucus. Which become an issue when 1 or more of those constituencies are out of alignments with the others. And when those differences can't be resolved inside the party, you get what's happening now with it fracturing as a result of the inability to reconcile those differences.

This piece from back in 2016 placed the blame at voting reforms that aimed to open the process up instead backfiring massively, and ended up with a total called shot at the end regarding what would eventually happen. https://www.theguardian.com/comment...rship-battle-jeremy-corbyn-party-organisation

The problem is that Labour mps wanted a Blairite leader, or someone more centre leaning - new labour.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I hope for a hung Parliament, with a potential Labour/SNP alliance (don't see Labour getting a majority sadly). A Tory minority Government is more likely though.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that Labour mps wanted a Blairite leader, or someone more centre leaning - new labour.
That's not the actual problem facing the party. There will always be differences of opinion that have to be smoothed out, negotiated, etc. If your party consists only of people in lockstep on every single issue, it's not going to be very large. This isn't as big a deal in setups with proportional representation, but FPTP pushes parties naturally towards consolidation and having a wider base due to the need to outright win seats.

The issue facing Labour is that they can't smooth out and negotiate those differences. Corbyn is winning elections among the Labour voting membership, but he's an electoral albatross among the population at large who doesn't have the confidence of his elected parliamentary caucus. To resolve things like this, you would normally see things like Corbyn adjusting his platform/policies to adjust them closer to the median of the party, or Corbyn stepping down and backing a successor who didn't have his baggage and who was more broadly acceptable. But neither of these things has happened as Corbyn knows they can't dislodge him and is unwilling to budge on anything. And so as a result you've got the current fracturing as Labour is effectively in the midst of the political party equivalent of a constitutional crisis. One which they pretty much set themselves up for on accident-Corbyn's more a symptom of a larger structural issue.
Why not another referendum?
Because everyone's petrified of virtually any of the potential outcomes. "Schrodinger's Brexit" is more manageable for the time being.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Following Brexit at this point is like following Twin Peaks Season 10. It should have ended a long time ago, but inexplicably it keeps dragging on.