• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
uploadvr.com

Confirmed: Hitman 3 And No Man's Sky PS5 Versions Don't Support PSVR, Headset Can't Play PS5 Games

If you buy the PS5 versions of Hitman 3 or No Man’s Sky in the coming months, you won’t have access to either game’s PSVR support found in their PS4 versions, as the company has not announced PSVR games on PS5. On the subject of Hitman 3,

If you buy the PS5 versions of Hitman 3 or No Man's Sky in the coming months, you won't have access to either game's PSVR support found in their PS4 versions, as the company has not announced PSVR games on PS5.

On the subject of Hitman 3, a Sony spokesperson told UploadVR via email that you'll need the PS4 version of Hitman 3 to play it in VR since the PSVR operates as a backward compatible device. The representative then went on to clarify, "We have not announced PS5 titles for PS VR."

This is unfortunate, but both the games mentioned in the article do support free upgrades. You don't have to buy the games twice if you want VR support and the next-gen versions.

Perhaps support will come down the road? I was pretty interested in a headset if they did another holiday bundle, the software support felt like it had really started landing with titles like Squadrons. Putting the brakes on it and starting over in a year or two seems counterintuitive.

Last edited:

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
What a mess. Hopefully buying the PS5 version still grants you a copy of the PS4 version to use those features. Otherwise I suspect a LOT of people will buy the PS5 version with the intent of playing it in VR.

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I hope the workaround for that is "Buy the PS4 version and get the PS5-native version for free." Hopefully with cross-save.

[3:35 PM]

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't they say PSVR headsets would be compatible with PS5? Or was that just under the cover of PS4 back-compat?

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
What a mess. Hopefully buying the PS5 version still grants you a copy of the PS4 version to use those features. Otherwise I suspect a LOT of people will buy the PS5 version with the intent of playing it in VR.
Yeah I would like clarification on this because as far as I can see, preordering Miles Morales Ultimate on PS5 digitally still lets me purchase the PS4 version on the web store (but not the regular PS5 edition). Unless that changes when the game unlocks or something.

I wonder if there is any benefit to playing this in BC on PS5 for VR or if playing on PS4 Pro would just be better.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't much a fan of the control options for NMS VR so I'll just stick with PS5 upgraded version.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
This is why PSVR 2 should have been ready for console launch. Even if people would have been overwhelmed with too much stuff.

You simply can't "pause" the whole category of VR for 2-3 years, that will kill it.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
So...if you want VR you'll need PS4 and you can't plug-in the PSVR on PS5 and play with the PS5 version since it does not support VR?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, is this just a technicality, in the sense that there are no "native" PS5 VR titles yet? So long as the PS4/PSVR game versions are available to all owners of the PS5 versions in the meantime, this doesn't seem like as much of an issue, aside from not being able to take advantage of the improvements in the PS5 version. Which is stupid, but I sort of get.

But if this actually does confirm that the PSVR headset isn't natively compatible with PS5 software at all, that's a pretty fundamental problem for what I was hoping for this gen.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
This actually makes sense. I wouldn't want VR games on PS5 to be held back by the limitations of PSVR on PS4. I say that as someone who is heavily invested into the PSVR ecosystem too. I'm willing to pay the price when it comes to uncomromised progress vs compatibility with old tech.

I'm so damn excited for PSVR 2.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
So basically, you need to have the PS4 versions of the games installed if you want to play in VR. And you can also install the PS5 version additionally if you want higher quality 2D. Makes sense, although it's maybe not the most elegant solution.

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
This is something I've been fearing and yet I can't understand. The PSVR is just a screen display. Why can't they make PS5 games that use the current PSVR? The resolution is what it is, but the in game graphics would be much better...

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
This is something I've been fearing and yet I can't understand. The PSVR is just a screen display. Why can't they make PS5 games that use the current PSVR? The resolution is what it is, but the in game graphics would be much better...
Presumably because somewhere in the PS5 SDK Sony has decided to not make PSVR an explicit PS5 accessory. So if you're building PS5 code, there's no PSVR device within that SDK to develop towards.

Edit:

www.psu.com

PS5's First Exclusive PSVR Title Is Cyberpunk RPG LOW-FI - PlayStation Universe

LOW-FI has been announced as the PS5's first exclusive PSVR title, with the game not set to be playable on PlayStation 4 systems.

Low-fi is not coming to PS4. Low-fi is coming to PSVR. Ergo, PS5 PSVR games can happen.

Well that makes this even more confusing. Maybe Hitman 3 and No Man's Sky were too far into dev to do this for whatever reason? Maybe another update down the line changes things?

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
So if you want PSVR just play those games in BC on PS5, right?

The only thing we're missing is the ability to play native VR games on PS5 and not through PS4 BC.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
why would it? sony believes in generations, the ds4 doesn't work with ps5 games, too

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Oh ok. This has to get cleared up ASAP.

They clarified it earlier:
uploadvr.com

No Man's Sky PS5 Confirmed, But PSVR Support Comes Via Backwards Compatibility

No Man’s Sky PS5 and Xbox One Series X versions have been confirmed. Hello Games’ popular sci-fi sim will arrive alongside both consoles on their respective launch dates in November. Each will be a free upgrade for existing owners and each comes with a host of improvements. No Man’

However, when it comes to PSVR support on PS5, Hello Games told us integration will be available "by virtue of the backwards compatibility functionality."

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
as someone who doesn't want to buy Hitman digital, but still wants PSVR and also wants next-gen

I'd have to buy the game twice

well shit

Oct 27, 2017
Uh what? Why?

hopefully you have the option to switch between PS4 and 5 version and aren't stuck with 5 version if you get the upgrade

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely get the PS4 version of Hitman 3 then.

I imagine the PS5 version doesn't come with the PS4 version like how the PS4 includes PS5.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
...is that why the PS+ discount for Hitman 3 is 20% off for PS5 while only 10% off for PS4?

this seems really stupid

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
There needs to be more information on whether specific PS5 purchases of these games come with the PS4 version or not, given this issue with VR support.

mrqs

Oct 25, 2017
Geez. This sucks real hard. Couldn't they port PSVR to PS5 and make PSVR games on PS5 support the Dualshock 4?

I mean Sony, do the work.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... it makes sense because of the DualShock 4, but damn, I got excited about Hitman 3 & No Man's Sky on PS5 with PSVR.

Why or how would I even get the PS4 version on the PS5?

EDIT: Never mind, apparantly there is a way.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
www.psu.com

PS5's First Exclusive PSVR Title Is Cyberpunk RPG LOW-FI - PlayStation Universe

LOW-FI has been announced as the PS5's first exclusive PSVR title, with the game not set to be playable on PlayStation 4 systems.

Low-fi is not coming to PS4. Low-fi is coming to PSVR. Ergo, PS5 PSVR games can happen.
doubly confused now, maybe hitman 3 will get patch down the line. fucking crazy the console launches in like 2 weeks and we still have so many questions.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
genius move to boost sales with people being a copy of each to get all the features

nuhitman finally a sales success

thank you jim

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I'm not understanding the curfuffle.

You can play PS4 VR games on a PS5. There are just no "native PS5 VR games" yet.

Considering the limitations of PSVR (it's over 4 years old now) it makes sense to me. You can still use the old hardware to play PS4 VR stuff on PS5.