• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

US carriers kill Google's RCS messaging initiative

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
It's awesome that this is active on Android and for all carriers...I'm guessing Apple won't be supporting it because then the "bubbles" thing wouldn't be a thing anymore and iDevice users wouldn't have that differentiator any longer.

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
What’s so hard about installing WhatsApp? In Europe, it didn’t happen overnight but everyone was just stopped texting people on SMS as people started creating WhatsApps cause it was a way for everyone to efficiently text. I use WhatsApp becusss I prefer it to iMessage. Sometimes if I send a message on iMessage it will lie there unsent for ages. WhatsApp doesn’t have that problem.

I even asked some of my American friends to install WhatsApp and they did and they also preferred it. I don’t get what the big deal is about installing WhatsApp in the US. Is everyone on 16GB phones or something? It literally takes 2-5 minutes to have WhatsApp. I have iMessage, messenger, WhatsApp, Viber, Snapchat, Instagram and others. People just text me where it’s convenient. Sometimes on WhatsApp, sometimes on Snapchat or others. Would not dream of conversing with someone over SMS like I’m in the early 2000’s.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
I don't understand what is the big deal here? Are we really this picky over a text message? Give me your number, let me text you...that's it...I don't see what it is to be up in arms about.

What’s so hard about installing WhatsApp?
It's not hard, but what is the benefit really? A text message is a text message. When I go to a bar I've never heard someone say "hey I don't want to give you my number but I do use WhatsApp". Seems like much ado about nothing.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
It's awesome that this is active on Android and for all carriers...I'm guessing Apple won't be supporting it because then the "bubbles" thing wouldn't be a thing anymore and iDevice users wouldn't have that differentiator any longer.
Well, it wouldn't actually change Apple's bubble thing at all.

The system would look like this.
  1. If both parties are using iMessage, then send iMessage using the iMessage protocol (use blue bubbles)
  2. If recepients are not using iMessage, send RCS (let's say they could use a purple bubble for this)
  3. If RCS is not possible, send MMS/SMS (green strikes back)

It's not hard, but what is the benefit really? A text message is a text message. When I go to a bar I've never heard someone say "hey I don't want to give you my number but I do use WhatsApp". Seems like much ado about nothing.
But you do use your number when you use WhatsApp.

The biggest benefit for anyone using WhatsApp is that it's a better messenger for multimedia. It can send documents, files, high resolution videos and you can use it on your computer. Which isn't always possible on Android or traditional MMS/SMS. Plus, all communication is encrypted.

Lishi

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I don't think it would really change Apple's bubble thing at all.

The system would look like this.

1. If both parties are using iMessage, then send iMessage protocol (use blue bubble)
  2. If recipient is not using iMessage, send RCS (let's say they could use a purple bubble for this)
  3. If RCS is not possible, send MMS/SMS (green strikes back)

But you do use your number when you use WhatsApp.
Whatapp is a bit behind here, you can add other users scanning their qr code from their screen with other popular apps.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
- You still need a number for WhatsApp
- Also, Whatsapp is end-to-end encrypted, RCS is not (so your carrier and/or Google is technically able to snoop in on your stuff)

The only reason someone in Europe uses SMS is for authentication purposes.
yeah pretty much. Or maybe by some old relatives :P

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
Those seem like such minor benefits for all the hubbub...if I need to do any of that the I obvious know the person better than what is required for text message, and we are communicating on social media somewhere. I just don't see what the "America sucks even more because we don't use this Facebook product" mentality on this is about.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
What’s so hard about installing WhatsApp? In Europe, it didn’t happen overnight but everyone was just stopped texting people on SMS as people started creating WhatsApps cause it was a way for everyone to efficiently text. I use WhatsApp becusss I prefer it to iMessage. Sometimes if I send a message on iMessage it will lie there unsent for ages. WhatsApp doesn’t have that problem.

I even asked some of my American friends to install WhatsApp and they did and they also preferred it. I don’t get what the big deal is about installing WhatsApp in the US. Is everyone on 16GB phones or something? It literally takes 2-5 minutes to have WhatsApp. I have iMessage, messenger, WhatsApp, Viber, Snapchat, Instagram and others. People just text me where it’s convenient. Sometimes on WhatsApp, sometimes on Snapchat or others. Would not dream of conversing with someone over SMS like I’m in the early 2000’s.
Well, WhatsApp is owned by Facebook which doesn't necessarily have a sterling reputation right now and I'd rather not put a product of theirs on my phone.