• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
It's awesome that this is active on Android and for all carriers...I'm guessing Apple won't be supporting it because then the "bubbles" thing wouldn't be a thing anymore and iDevice users wouldn't have that differentiator any longer.

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
What's so hard about installing WhatsApp? In Europe, it didn't happen overnight but everyone was just stopped texting people on SMS as people started creating WhatsApps cause it was a way for everyone to efficiently text. I use WhatsApp becusss I prefer it to iMessage. Sometimes if I send a message on iMessage it will lie there unsent for ages. WhatsApp doesn't have that problem.

I even asked some of my American friends to install WhatsApp and they did and they also preferred it. I don't get what the big deal is about installing WhatsApp in the US. Is everyone on 16GB phones or something? It literally takes 2-5 minutes to have WhatsApp. I have iMessage, messenger, WhatsApp, Viber, Snapchat, Instagram and others. People just text me where it's convenient. Sometimes on WhatsApp, sometimes on Snapchat or others. Would not dream of conversing with someone over SMS like I'm in the early 2000's.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
I don't understand what is the big deal here? Are we really this picky over a text message? Give me your number, let me text you...that's it...I don't see what it is to be up in arms about.

What's so hard about installing WhatsApp?

It's not hard, but what is the benefit really? A text message is a text message. When I go to a bar I've never heard someone say "hey I don't want to give you my number but I do use WhatsApp". Seems like much ado about nothing.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
It's awesome that this is active on Android and for all carriers...I'm guessing Apple won't be supporting it because then the "bubbles" thing wouldn't be a thing anymore and iDevice users wouldn't have that differentiator any longer.
Well, it wouldn't actually change Apple's bubble thing at all.

The system would look like this.
  1. If both parties are using iMessage, then send iMessage using the iMessage protocol (use blue bubbles)
  2. If recepients are not using iMessage, send RCS (let's say they could use a purple bubble for this)
  3. If RCS is not possible, send MMS/SMS (green strikes back)

It's not hard, but what is the benefit really? A text message is a text message. When I go to a bar I've never heard someone say "hey I don't want to give you my number but I do use WhatsApp". Seems like much ado about nothing.
But you do use your number when you use WhatsApp.

The biggest benefit for anyone using WhatsApp is that it's a better messenger for multimedia. It can send documents, files, high resolution videos and you can use it on your computer. Which isn't always possible on Android or traditional MMS/SMS. Plus, all communication is encrypted.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I don't think it would really change Apple's bubble thing at all.

The system would look like this.

1. If both parties are using iMessage, then send iMessage protocol (use blue bubble)
  2. If recipient is not using iMessage, send RCS (let's say they could use a purple bubble for this)
  3. If RCS is not possible, send MMS/SMS (green strikes back)

But you do use your number when you use WhatsApp.

Whatapp is a bit behind here, you can add other users scanning their qr code from their screen with other popular apps.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I literally can't tell the difference between my green group chats and blue group chats beyond bubble color

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

- You still need a number for WhatsApp
- Also, Whatsapp is end-to-end encrypted, RCS is not (so your carrier and/or Google is technically able to snoop in on your stuff)

The only reason someone in Europe uses SMS is for authentication purposes.

yeah pretty much. Or maybe by some old relatives :P

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Those seem like such minor benefits for all the hubbub...if I need to do any of that then I obvious know the person better than what is required for text message, and we are communicating on social media somewhere. I just don't see what the "America sucks even more because we don't use this Facebook product" mentality on this is about.

Last edited:

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
What's so hard about installing WhatsApp? In Europe, it didn't happen overnight but everyone was just stopped texting people on SMS as people started creating WhatsApps cause it was a way for everyone to efficiently text. I use WhatsApp becusss I prefer it to iMessage. Sometimes if I send a message on iMessage it will lie there unsent for ages. WhatsApp doesn't have that problem.

I even asked some of my American friends to install WhatsApp and they did and they also preferred it. I don't get what the big deal is about installing WhatsApp in the US. Is everyone on 16GB phones or something? It literally takes 2-5 minutes to have WhatsApp. I have iMessage, messenger, WhatsApp, Viber, Snapchat, Instagram and others. People just text me where it's convenient. Sometimes on WhatsApp, sometimes on Snapchat or others. Would not dream of conversing with someone over SMS like I'm in the early 2000's.
Well, WhatsApp is owned by Facebook which doesn't necessarily have a sterling reputation right now and I'd rather not put a product of theirs on my phone.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Well that's 90% of the reason I can't go back to android phones. SMS is so outdated.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
lol @ people from smaller countries telling Americans they should download an extra app by Facebook to get good messaging.

Nah, good messaging should be standard on phones. It's sad Google is only now helping their customers.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
lol @ people from smaller countries telling Americans they should download an extra app by Facebook to get good messaging.

Nah, good messaging should be standard on phones. It's sad Google is only now helping their customers.
Right? Like whether is SMS or WhatsApp, why is texting in 2019 all that important? I've never had a girl in a bar say "hey I'll give you my number but first I want to make sure you are using this specific app". Texting in itself is a throw-away activity. Most people I know are using some social media app, or some IM program like Google Hangouts.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017

It's not a big deal but it just isn't what people are used to do. When I make a friend overseas, it's usually "hey what's your Line/WhatsApp/WeChat/FB/etc? let's connect". Where as in the US it's still stuck with exchanging phone number except perhaps the younger crowd. Not to forget that Apple has larger presence in the US than it is elsewhere, so the default for a lot of people is iMessage, which already supports the features of the other messaging apps from a user's point of view. Some are aware that sms fallback sucks ass, hence the green bubbles discrimination; while the others simply don't know the difference. Lastly, majority of Americans don't travel or deal with people outside of America so there's simply no incentives to use non-default apps.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
This conversation is going around and around. Europeans use WhatsApp. Americans use iMessage and SMS. Let's move on.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017

It's not hard, but I am not putting any Facebook-owned apps on my phone. Get on Telegram, it's better than WhatsApp anyway.

plain

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest benefit for anyone using WhatsApp is that it's a better messenger for multimedia. It can send documents, files, high resolution videos and you can use it on your computer. Which isn't always possible on Android or traditional MMS/SMS. Plus, all communication is encrypted.

You see, we can do all that on iMessage. If you have an iPhone and you live in the US, theres almost no incentive to switch.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And the point they're not getting is it's not that simple.

I will never be able to get my mother in law to switch, no matter how better it is, because she wouldn't care. What she has works for her and that's good enough for her.

It would be fantastic if the entire US decided on a message app, but the world doesn't work that way.

The only way your going to get people in the US to change from SMS is to either

A) Start charging them for SMS/MMS messages, which would force people to look to free alternatives (Facebook would love that)

B) The carriers take control (like they're appearing to), disable the old SMS/MMS protocols and move to something new.

People aren't going to migrate to a new app if what they have works for them.
Unless older people in non US countries are just inherently smarter, I think this is incorrect. The boomer generation in Canada learned to adopt what's app just fine but Android adoption is higher here. The US is the outlier because iPhone adoption is especially high there and sms rates weren't so egriegious in the past that it encouraged mass adoption of messaging apps like it did in other places.

It's almost another metric vs imperial thing at this point

Mr. Mug

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Threads about this on Era are always pretty funny. There's no denying that Google dropped the ball on messaging but only Americans will think Apple has nailed it. The US is as far as I know the only place where iMessage has a significant market share. The rest of the world uses WhatsApp, LINE or wechat even on iPhone.

Sasha

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe iPhone users could turn off iMessage for a week to see how it is to be a Android user? 😁

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Unless older people in non US countries are just inherently smarter, I think this is incorrect. The boomer generation in Canada learned to adopt what's app just fine but Android adoption is higher here. The US is the outlier because iPhone adoption is especially high there and sms rates weren't so egriegious in the past that it encouraged mass adoption of messaging apps like it did in other places.

It's almost another metric vs imperial thing at this point

iMessage is part of the issue since its split the market and is only available on one platform.

I used my mother in law as an example because the woman is the most stubborn person I know.

You laid out exactly why apps like WhatsApp didn't catch on in the US. I laid out why people here won't change to another app, no matter how much better it is.

You're going to have to drag people kicking and screaming to anew messaging service. Telling them the technical reasons why isn't enough anymore.

The best way to do it at this point is to change the protocol used, but make everything look the same.

That's essentially what RCS does.

What does rcs even do? Just get is typing alerts? Who gives af.

The biggest thing will be the ability to send higher quality images and video.

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
The biggest issue with non-homogenous messaging across platforms is the userbase split.

no one would mind downloading one extra app, the problem is thats not the case. Friends with iOs use iMessage, then friends with Android use Whatsapp, google messenger, facebook messenger, snapchat, discord, etc because they've all segmented off to their own choice since Android doesn't have a good innate messaging, especially flr group chatting.

so yeah as an american if somehow everyone decided on one paradigm I wouldnt care one way or the other, but if RCS can fix android users just being able to talk with imessage users, itd be an instant win IMO

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When will this be activated in Canada? I have a Pixel phone, so I presume I would get it as soon as Google activates it here.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
iMessage is part of the issue since its split the market and is only available on one platform.

I used my mother in law as an example because the woman is the most stubborn person I know.

You laid out exactly why apps like WhatsApp didn't catch on in the US. I laid out why people here won't change to another app, no matter how much better it is.

You're going to have to drag people kicking and screaming to anew messaging service. Telling them the technical reasons why isn't enough anymore.

The best way to do it at this point is to change the protocol used, but make everything look the same.

That's essentially what RCS does.

The biggest thing will be the ability to send higher quality images and video.

Didn't realize it would include that. That would be nice.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019

Because we don't need it. Get over it.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing, WhatsApp with you?
giphy.gif

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I'm on samsung S10+. There was a notification of my normal text improving but dont see an improvement. Do I have to download an app from android for it to work?

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
It works because texting in those countries costs extra. Why doesn't google just incorporate WhatsApp into default android text. Then everyone can be happy.
Its works because it's 2019 and people download apps. Sms is free everywhere.

I think the reason WhatsApp isnt popular in the states is because of facebook themselves.They want people to download Facebook messenger amd Instagram instead and purposely don't advertise WhatsApp. When I go to other countries WhatsApp is on signage everywhere.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its works because it's 2019 and people download apps. Sms is free everywhere.

I think the reason WhatsApp isnt popular in the states is because of facebook themselves.They want people to download Facebook messenger amd Instagram instead and purposely don't advertise WhatsApp. When I go to other countries WhatsApp is on signage everywhere.
also a good point.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Threads about this on Era are always pretty funny. There's no denying that Google dropped the ball on messaging but only Americans will think Apple has nailed it. The US is as far as I know the only place where iMessage has a significant market share. The rest of the world uses WhatsApp, LINE or wechat even on iPhone.

If your country is using whatsapp then you haven't "nailed it" either. Frankly, the situation is shitty across the globe.