• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Reuters.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States on Monday effectively backed Israel's right to build Jewish settlements in the occupied West Bank by abandoning its four-decade-old position that they were "inconsistent with international law," a stance that may make Israeli-Palestinian peace even more elusive.

"The establishment of Israeli civilian settlements is not, per se, inconsistent with international law," Pompeo told reporters at the State Department, reversing a formal legal position taken by the United States under Carter in 1978.

Palestinians argued the U.S. stance flouted international law. The international community views the transfer of any country's civilians to occupied land as illegal under the Fourth Geneva Convention of 1949 and U.N. Security Council resolutions.
"The United States is neither qualified nor is authorized to negate international legitimacy resolutions and it has no right to give any legitimacy to Israeli settlement," said Nabil Abu Rudeineh, a spokesman for Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.

Analysts criticized the move, saying it would make it even harder to resolve the more than 70-year-old conflict.
"He can declare that night is day, but it will not change the fact that Israeli settlements are not only illegal under international law, but are also a huge obstacle to peace and to the stability of our region," said Hagit Ofran of the Israeli anti-settlements group Peace Now.

P.S: Settlements is a softer term for land theft.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
This changes little. They are only making it official policy decades after the fact.

Still if Israel needed advice on land theft, America is certainly the right country to ask.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't the Israelis know better than to take land/property/lives of other people?

OP
OP
Jeb

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
The worst part is that even after Trump leaves office, I expect no administration after him to reverse this decision, much less do anything about it.

Both Democrats andRepublicans are licking the boots of AIPAC, even progressive darling Warren.

Then again, it was a position that was held for just lip service, the US has been subsidizing Isreali warcrimes with tax payer money, shielding it from UN resolutions and giving it unconditional support for years.

This is just a symbolic fuck you to the Palestinians.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I just read the thread title and let out a sigh so heavy I blew some paper off of my desk. This was obviously to be expected with how much Trump loves to roll over for Bibi, but it still sucks to see. It sucks so much.

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yet Israel's government is against origin labeling products that are produced in those settlements. It's like they're ashamed of something... /s
Usually an origin label is a symbol for quality and pride. Not for Israel though...

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Bibi seeing the writing on the wall for trump. So he is just making sure that his puppet does a few more tricks for him before he is gone.

The Trump administration has put in the work. Recognized Jerusalem as the capital complete with an embassy and now changing it's stance on land grabs. No president that comes afterwards will dare try and roll these back.

The fear of AIPAC is too strong. Bibi done great.

Someone already wrote this I see.

OP
OP
Jeb

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Shouldn't the Israelis know better than to take land/property/lives of other people?
There are no consequences or ramifications to their actions, they have the support a world power and politicians are cheering them on.

If there are no laws governing you, no punishments, you have full immunity and you have world powers telling you you're always right, even in comitting atrocities, then there are no incentives to self-reflect.

eldar101

May 12, 2019
A denizen of Israel here.
Most secular people here (like me) don't really care for these settlements as they are eating up the state's budgets.

Deleted member 47092

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
No leg to stand on with Crimea now.

if you don't think Turkey will annex a part of northern Syria, you've got another thing coming.

eldar101

May 12, 2019
How do yourself and your countryman justify (tolerate) living in what is, for lacking a better term, an Apartheid state?
I believe some things you read about it are lies or exaggerated, but I know it's a gray area. My people are definitely most afraid of weapons and suicide bombers coming through Gaza.

"Don't care for them."
"Too much money."

Do... do you have anything else to say about them?
Do you mean the Palestinians or the Jewish people in the settlements

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
I believe some things you read about it are lies or exaggerated, but I know it's a gray area. My people are definitely most afraid of weapons and suicide bombers coming through Gaza.

You're most concerned about weapons and suicide bombers, and your best plan of action to combat that is to annex their land? Don't you feel that's a tad counter productive?

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
No leg to stand on with Crimea now.

if you don't think Turkey will annex a part of northern Syria, you've got another thing coming.

Trump's agenda from day one was to GIVE Crimea to Russia and not hold Russia responsible for anything they did.

This West Bank policy echoes that.

Trump has personal investments in all these contested areas.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depressing that US is now only acting in the interest of Israel (more so then before). Whats infuriating is that they're actively undermining Palestine's right to exist (2 state solution) and with the same breath, say this is something only Israel + Palestine can resolve. Its simply illogical. Trump + Kushner have made things worse then ever.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Time for the Palestinians to cut off the US in the peace talk not only have they proven themselves to be unreliable with this statement (and the embassy move) they are now downright hostile to Palestine's cause.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The worst part is that even after Trump leaves office, I expect no administration after him to reverse this decision, much less do anything about it.

Both Democrats andRepublicans are licking the boots of AIPAC, even progressive darling Warren.

Then again, it was a position that was held for just lip service, the US has been subsidizing Isreali warcrimes with tax payer money, shielding it from UN resolutions and giving it unconditional support for years.

This is just a symbolic fuck you to the Palestinians.

I think Sanders would potentially

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I never get a good answer to why Israel isn't a country of white Europeans that have decided through their religious text that they have some birthright to someone else's homeland.

Clearly they operate on religious and racial supremacy.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it wrong if someone is pro-Palestinian?
Obviously not, so Sanders obviously isn't that great - he's pro-Israel and makes a distinction between Israel and the Israeli right wing, even though there's no practical difference as the vast majority of the "left" in Israel still has a very right wing stance vis à vis Palestinians (as an example, during one of the recent military excursions into Gaza, some "lefty" Israelis were holding viewing parties on the border). I should've clarified that I was speaking relative to the other candidates.

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Obviously not, so Sanders obviously isn't that great - he's pro-Israel and makes a distinction between Israel and the Israeli right wing, even though there's no practical difference as the vast majority of the "left" in Israel still has a very right wing stance vis à vis Palestinians (as an example, during one of the recent military excursions into Gaza, some "lefty" Israelis were holding viewing parties on the border). I should've clarified that I was speaking relative to the other candidates.

No worries, just wasn't sure what you meant.

I was talking about the jewish settlements, not the palestinians ones.

Palestinian settlements? Okay, you're definitely trolling.