• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
As reported by Game Daily, the Office of the United States Trade Representative has proposed a tariff of up to 25% on a wide array of products imported from China.

The US has been raising tariffs on Chinese goods in waves since the middle of last year. The newly proposed product list is the largest yet, representing an approximate annual trade value of $300 billion. (Tariffs on a $200 billion group of goods were raised earlier this month.) The USTR says it covers "essentially all" products not already covered by previous tariffs, apart from a select few categories like pharmaceuticals, medical goods, and rare earth minerals.

The extensive list of affected product categories includes video game consoles, game controllers, and coin-op arcade games.

The USTR has invited comments from the public in regards to the proposed tariffs and set a deadline of June 17 for those to be considered before action is taken.

Source
Gotta love Trump...

Oct 25, 2017
That'll be pretty disastrous for the next generation...and basically everything on the market.

Not sure if there's a workaround they could do.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
All those idiot gamers that kept supporting Trump.

giphy.gif

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All of a sudden gamers are going to care about politics

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would say welcome to PC gaming, but those components will also see an increase. Will the alt-right gaming crowd finally turn on Trump?
Probably not, because they're scum

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I almost wonder if it would make sense for Sony and Microsoft to delay next gen launch (at least in the US) if the tariffs are still around next year.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
I guess a lot of game disks and carts are also pressed or made in China? So physical games are going to increase in cost too? Sigh....

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
Ahh our glorious ruler, thank god these tarriffs are totally working as intended. Is it 2020 yet?

Chudah

Apr 23, 2019
I would say welcome to PC gaming, but those components will also see an increase. Will the alt-right gaming crowd finally turn on Trump?
Probably not, because they're scum

Good thing my PC should last me another 2-3 years before I start upgrading. Hopefully that's long enough for the damage that's done to be reversed.

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone estimate the price increase?
If by the time the tariff are added we could theoretically have:
Switch - $250
PS5 - $400
Xbox 2 - $500

What could be the price after the tariff if the console manufacturers aren't taking a loss

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
MS must had known this was coming. That's why they're doing Lockhart.

But seriously, this is all sorts of fucked up.

Xanfrabot

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
There's no way this could affect next-gen console prices in Europe... right? Because companies sure love selling us their consoles at the same price than the US.