• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalina76

Banned
Nov 20, 2018
Such plants are also highly specialized. We have a Flextronics plant here which designs and produces automotive electronics. You can't turn such a plant into a consumer electronics one within weeks. Even ignoring why you would want to switch industries anyway.
the chinese plants exist for a reason, no matter how they move things around, they wont be able to meet production quotas without them, and thus a section of their products will be tariffed, which will increase prices for that product across the board.

Atleast in 2013 90% of Xbox Ones have been made in Brasil, by Flextronics. Do you have newer data?

Oct 25, 2017
México
LRpVrOO.png

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how is it going to solve anything. is china going to go away because you have tariffs? i dont think that will happen
Might get us a more favorable outcome, could reduce their economic strength by even a fraction. Like I said, slight mitigation is the most likely outcome. For example if we raised your taxes 2%, it would reduce what you can do, but it wouldn't make you go away. And overtime it would cause an impact in your overall lifestyle, even if just slightly.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
How badly will this affect them insofar as whether they can afford these new consoles or not? Does it become a matter of convenience or does it outright prohibit them from making the upgrade? A number of posters here seem to be taking delight, so I'm assuming that they can take the hit. But for gators who voted for Trump in 2016, could this really bite them in the ass?

I'm not happy with this news, but I did pay $600 for the PS3 when it was released. My concern is more about the software. Will games rise to $70? That would almost be unheard of. With the exception of certain cartridge games during the 16-bit era, most software never rose above $60.
It depends on the person and their financial situation.

Something like a 25% tax on a console that costs $500 normally would bump the price up to $625. Even a $400 console suddenly becomes $500 with that tax. In your example, the $600 PS3 would become $750.

For something that is a luxury item marketed mainly towards a younger audience, even $100 can easily be a tipping point between "buy" and "nope."

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It depends on the person and their financial situation.

Something like a 25% tax on a console that costs $500 normally would bump the price up to $625. Even a $400 console suddenly becomes $500 with that tax. In your example, the $600 PS3 would become $750.

For something that is a luxury item marketed mainly towards a younger audience, even $100 can easily be a tipping point between "buy" and "nope."

How old would you say the average gamer / maga douche bag is? And how eager are they even going to be to upgrade presumably in the fall of 2020 when these systems are slated for release? Generally, it takes around 18 months before anything good is ever released on new systems. I didn't bother to open my PS4 until Arkham Knight was released, and I purchased my PS4 when it launched in the fall of 2013.

I'm fortunate that I can weather this storm. That's also the impression that I've been getting here from a number of other posters on this forum. A bit of schadenfreude under the blind assumption that these dipshits are somehow going to get irreparably screwed over by this, which only works if they're financially unable to make these purchases.

Whether gamer gaters end up getting scorched or not is immaterial. Everyone is getting screwed by this development.

I haven't been paying attention to 4chan or reddit. What is the sentiment there? Early adopters who plan on upgrading both Xbox and PS5 can now look forward to forking out close to $1300.

Also...

When will the retail prices be made public? And how close will this announcement be made during this election season?