• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
We Canadian Gamers soon

As a Canadian, I'm super curious about whether there is going to be any blowback to our pricing as a result of this, or whether we remain unaffected.

The Politics section is going to do a complete 180 after this lol

I have to admit, I am super curious about how many people will value racism over a price hike. I'm sure some people will say, "You're weak if that's all takes, bro," while other people, like Boogie, will no longer say, "Meeting in the middle is swell," and suddenly be all, "We have to save this country before evil prevails! Guys, did know this country is in trouble now?! WHAT'S WRONG YOU WITH YOU, WE'VE GOT TO PUSH BACK AGAINST THIS PRICE HI... I MEAN EVIL..."

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the world economy this dumbass created will soon kick me out of this hobby completely. Can't keep up with my local worse economy being affected by his trade war, rise of the dollar and then this.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
It seems likely to me that Sony and Nintendo would assemble consoles in American factories to get around this. They know price is king. Where are Xboxes assembled?

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Silver lining... there's never been a better time to work through your backlog! Just imagine how much of it you'll be able to get through with the next 5 years being dedicated to it.

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
Time for Kaz Hirai to come out of retirement and announce the PS5's retail price of $599 US Dollars.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Does Trump not want to get re-elected?

1l3vcm.jpg

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
Is there a stance allowed that doesn't agree with the BS corporate reasoning behind the Tariffs but disagrees with buying electronic products made in poor working conditions and would rather buy something that's made by people that didn't suffer (don't care where in the world) Not saying that tarrifs inherently fix this problem but I'm not all that comfortable buying things that I know are made in crappy working conditions

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
I'm going to have to figure out some kind of conversion rate of schadenfreude to US dollars. Namely, what $100 means on top of a $400 console.

The console makers should outright call out the tariffs as a pricing matter, too.
Employees in American factories are paid more than Chinese ones. Console prices would still go up.
I'd actually pay more for electronics if I knew they were assembled somewhere other than a eSweatshop, though.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Assembly would leave China
Most of the parts especially the chips and memory are already manufactured outside and shipped to China for assembly and were never manufactured inside China

If the USA is doing all these tariffs unilaterally, what is stopping China to leave the WTO, and start selling rare earth material to an exorbitant price if you want to import them?

If that happens get ready for $1000 xbox made in Vietnam.

Remember that Japan's massive deposits exist, but as of we speak are impossible to mine, and it may take a few decades before they start selling thier own.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Just under 50% of America deserves this shit.
Have fun guys.

Just over 50% of America.
Sorry you have to live with the other guys.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Good thing my PC should last me another 2-3 years before I start upgrading. Hopefully that's long enough for the damage that's done to be reversed.

Even if Trump loses, he has done irreversible damage to our trade relations.

This will hurt for a loooong time, with far reaching ramifications in all industries.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
God, I can't wait for the inevitable reversal of all these dumbass tariffs the second a dem is back in office. It's gonna be like the most satisfying bandaid removal ever.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure a multi-billion dollar relief package is on the way for us gamers. Just as soon as someone convinces Trump that gamers vote.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
But the U.S. is making bee-yuns from the tariffs! We should be celebrating this!

Throw this on the ponderous, ever-growing heap of reasons to hate Trump.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
The last thing Trump wants to do is upset gamers. They could single handedly lead to his loss in 2020.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
If the USA is doing all these tariffs unilaterally, what is stopping China to leave the WTO, and start selling rare earth material to an exorbitant price if you want to import them?

If that happens get ready for $1000 xbox made in Vietnam.

Remember that Japan's massive deposits exist, but as of we speak are impossible to mine, and it may take a few decades before they start selling thier own.
If China were to go to the WTO they would likely have to answer to the forced technology transfers which they weren't supposed to do under WTO rules but skirted by essentially using a mixture of bullying companies and appealing to their greed in doing business there

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
It seems likely to me that Sony and Nintendo would assemble consoles in American factories to get around this. They know price is king. Where are Xboxes assembled?

I'm sure that's what the people making the tariffs would like you to think.

The reality is that the cost of moving those kinds of operations to a different part of the world and managing them effectively are extreme and complex.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to have to figure out some kind of conversion rate of schadenfreude to US dollars. Namely, what $100 means on top of a $400 console.

The console makers should outright call out the tariffs as a pricing matter, too.
I'd actually pay more for electronics if I knew they were assembled somewhere other than a eSweatshop, though.
I think it's more likely that production will be off shored to Vietnam or India in all honesty. The question is whether manufacturers will be quick enough to adapt without disrupting production too much.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Ew does the orange turd realize that even Sony's console business is fully American now? Or how that could impact negatively dozens of US multinationals with thousands of American employees?

So much for making America great again.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
If China were to go to the WTO they would likely have to answer to the forced technology transfers which they weren't supposed to do under WTO rules but skirted by essentially using a mixture of bullying companies and appealing to their greed in doing business there

China is not going to go to the WTO, but they could leave the WTO. There is a reason why almost 100 countries are subscribing to the belt and road.
Notice how Trump made an exception on taxing Rare earth materials? They Know China can have a price for internal manufacturing and one for external manufacturing. That would break any international manufacturing everywhere.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

I doubt it. The reason why they're manufactured in china and some other third world countries in the first place is because it costs less to manufacture goods there. If china's standard of living continues to increase, they'll start moving those manufacturing jobs to other countries with lower standards of living.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
China is not going to go to the WTO, but they could leave the WTO. There is a reason why almost 100 countries are subscribing to the belt and road.
Notice how Trump made an exception on taxing Rare earth materials? They Know China can have a price for internal manufacturing and one for external manufacturing. That would break any international manufacturing everywhere.
Because rare earths aren't all that rare? Rising prices means the mines in the US are viable again kind of like how oil has ceased to be the political tool after OPEC overplayed their hand and other producers came on line.

Besides they only got to their current position via undercutting everyone else

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
I doubt it. The reason why they're manufactured in china and some other third world countries in the first place is because it costs less to manufacture goods there. If china's standard of living continues to increase, they'll start moving those manufacturing jobs to other countries with lower standards of living.
And while we talk about global warming, working conditions and all that jazz, we have no problem supporting products manufactured in countries that don't give a rats ass about any of them(because that's how you keep the costs low) because cheaper.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it. The reason why they're manufactured in china and some other third world countries in the first place is because it costs less to manufacture goods there.

China isn't a third world country ffs. Enough of this primitivism and racism. They have the second biggest economy in the world and a huge middle class.

And while we talk about global warming, working conditions and all that jazz, we have no problem supporting products manufactured in countries that don't give a rats ass about any of them(because that's how you keep the costs low) because cheaper.

I'm p sure the US doesn't care about any of those things either. And at least China isn't actively invading and bombing other countries, unlike our morally superior American friends.