• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
Trumps that kid you didn't invite over to play games because he sucks ass.

one day you come home and he's in your room playing all your shit cause your mom invited him over cause she felt bad for him.

He quickly leaves cause he erased all your save files, shit in your pillowcase and stolen your favorite video game. And of course he grows up to be president. Fuck his kidself and grown self.

Shove the tariffs up your orange ass.

"But GYNAS paying!" fucking moron

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Do it. I have a massive backlog dating back through every console generation, I'll keep myself occupied. This will be worth it for the anger that it'll cause alt-right gamers who might even consider not voting Trump. If Trump losing further support means the game industry has to be shat on for a bit, fair trade.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It seems likely to me that Sony and Nintendo would assemble consoles in American factories to get around this. They know price is king. Where are Xboxes assembled?

Margins are king my guy

Do it. I have a massive backlog dating back through every console generation, I'll keep myself occupied. This will be worth it for the anger that it'll cause alt-right gamers who might even consider not voting Trump. If Trump losing further support means the game industry has to be shat on for a bit, fair trade.

This has far and wide reaching consequences, including irreversible damage to many industries and the loss of thousands of jobs.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to admit, I am super curious about how many people will value racism over a price hike. I'm sure some people will say, "You're weak if that's all takes, bro," while other people, like Boogie, will no longer say, "Meeting in the middle is swell," and suddenly be all, "We have to save this country before evil prevails! Guys, did know this country is in trouble now?! WHAT'S WRONG YOU WITH YOU, WE'VE GOT TO PUSH BACK AGAINST THIS PRICE HI... I MEAN EVIL..."

The UK is destroying its own economy to for the sake of racism. US is no different.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Po29MSt.png
Both sides.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I doubt it. The reason why they're manufactured in china and some other third world countries in the first place is because it costs less to manufacture goods there. If china's standard of living continues to increase, they'll start moving those manufacturing jobs to other countries with lower standards of living.

This hasn't been the case for quite a while. The reality of it is that all the skill sets for manufacturing exist there and nowhere else

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I put the AND there for a reason. China AND third some other third world countries.

Lmao no you didn't, you said "China and some other third world countries". Grammatically speaking, that obviously implies that China is a third world country. Maybe that's not what you actually meant, but it's certainly what you wrote.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
China isn't a third world country ffs. Enough of this primitivism and racism. They have the second biggest economy in the world and a huge middle class.

Get China to admit that. The rest of the world recognizes it as a superpower, and it generally wants to act like one, but bring up trade and China will insist it is a "developing" nation and not a superpower.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That'll be pretty disastrous for the next generation...and basically everything on the market.

Not sure if there's a workaround they could do.

Perhaps Nintendo and Sony should produce their consoles in japan again, or other asian countries. Production in China comes cheap on first sight but with a high price too (it's a surveillance state that puts minorities in camps, working conditions aren't good, they defend their own economy from foreigners while stealing tech and designs and buying out europe companies, harbours etc,. making us more dependent on them (so that no one can criticize them anymore), not to talk about their behaviour in africa and pollution of the environment (FCKW (ozone killer) is forbidden worldwide, still China seems to pump it into the air...).

Gaming (and Trump) aside i think it wouldn't be the worst thing if "the west" would get a bit more independent from chinas production again. Perhaps Trump goes too far and for the wrong reasons, but i also feel Europe is sleeping on Chinas ambitions to get more influence and power in our countries.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Some production going back to Japan is what I suspect will happen if this tariff actually happens and doesn't get removed in a last minute deal. Abe gets his economic stimulus

Croix

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's more likely that production will be off shored to Vietnam or India in all honesty. The question is whether manufacturers will be quick enough to adapt without disrupting production too much.
Don't worry, I'm sure that the US will find a way to frame India or Vietnam trade as unfair, discriminatory and a national security threat some 20 years from now, and people will eat it up again.

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Perhaps Nintendo and Sony should produce their consoles in japan again, or other asian countries. Production in China comes cheap on first sight but with a high price too (it's a surveillance state that puts minorities in camps, working conditions aren't good, they defend their own economy from foreigners while stealing tech and designs and buying out europe companies, harbours etc,. making us more dependent on them (so that no one can criticize them anymore), not to talk about their behaviour in africa and pollution of the environment (FCKW (ozone killer) is forbidden worldwide, still China seems to pump it into the air...).

None of that stuff is a "high price" to corporations though. They thrive off of a workforce that is dehumanized and disposable. It's the foundation of basically all capitalism.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
None of that stuff is a "high price" to corporations though. They thrive off of a workforce that is dehumanized and disposable. It's the foundation of basically all capitalism.

it's just what i think and of course i'm using chinese products too, while trying to buy more products from countries that have better standards and laws, but atm it's almost impossible to not buy chinese products in europe.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I wonder if this will convince even one of the "keep politics out of my games" alt-right turds to switch sides.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like some Gators were freaking out but then the CryptoSargonian Brainhives chimed in telling them not to worry it just means all consoles will be made in the US now and everyone is back on the Trump train now.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I doubt it. The reason why they're manufactured in china and some other third world countries in the first place is because it costs less to manufacture goods there. If china's standard of living continues to increase, they'll start moving those manufacturing jobs to other countries with lower standards of living.
Well thats just...depressing.

Raven777

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trumps end goals with China are good, but tariffs are never really the solution or way to get there. I'm conflicted tough because something had to be done about China's trade practices.

Hopefully they resolve this trade war soon, it's getting real ugly.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Because rare earths aren't all that rare? Rising prices means the mines in the US are viable again kind of like how oil has ceased to be the political tool after OPEC overplayed their hand and other producers came on line.

Besides they only got to their current position via undercutting everyone else

At that point you are still buying rare earth materials for a much higher price and thus passing the cost to the customers. Saying you are quickly enough to resume mining, invest a lot of money and then to see how the tariffs only apply to American companies...

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
This has far and wide reaching consequences, including irreversible damage to many industries and the loss of thousands of jobs.
All these things can be said in regards to Trump being in power, too. Let him keep shitting things up and making even people who supported him change their minds. Get him outta there.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The whole question is "To what end?" I know. I know. There is no rational decision making behind anything Trump does, but I thought his fucked up and completely off-base logic for tariffs was that it would bring jobs back to the US. The idea being that he wants the average american to be making $10/day working on an assembly line making XBOX's because it makes unemployment go down and creates the illusion of a strong economy. The fact is Americans do not have the skills required to manufacture these electronics. China has been manufacturing these consoles since what...the PS1 days? It would take years, if not decades, to train the American workforce to do these jobs and again, the endgame would be Americans having to do these jobs for the same wages that the Chinese are making *(maybe + 25%), just for companies to break even moving their production to the US. It will never, ever, happen. So again, I ask, "to what end?"

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
Lmfao I remember before the election there was this one guy mentioning how any true gamer needs to vote for Trump because yadda yadda social justice yadda yadda. I 100% knew that guy would regret his decision at some point.

TO BE FAIR, THOUGH: I don't agree with these tariffs at all but they're trying to get companies to not do business in China, this (like a lot of trade wars) is NOT the way to go about it but it's more than just the current administration looking to raise tariffs just because...

.... also, the US is actually getting more factories but the jobs aren't coming back as there are more robots in play than ever before. Even if Trump manages to get playstations built in the states it's not gonna bring those jobs he promised back.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
You can destroy my environment, you can let the 1% rule us all, you can even keep kids in cages, but you leave my video games alone dammit!

/s