• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's possible that this is what convinced Trump to do it now:

Didn't see this posted yet, in my quick browse through this thread.

Holy Shit! That's the smoking gun right there. Those DB loans never made any sense and were done in very unnatural ways within Deustche Bank. It was always an open question how exactly Russia funneled hundreds of millions to Trump to cultivate him, there were many different ways, but here it is in the open.

And yeah, with everything going on, I kinda missed that story.

Dec 2, 2017
I have no idea if Soleimani had a competent second in command in place. But the man was extremely well-connected and had a devious and cunning mind, losing that is no small thing for Iran, even if the overall consequences end up being in its favor.

Iran has what's been described as a 'deep bench' of military brass. Most of them are veterans of the 8 year long Iran-Iraq war, or even the revolution. Soleimani's replacement Esmail Ghaani was basically doing the same job he was doing in Iraq/Syria in the countries to the East of Iran - Afghanistan & Pakistan etc. I've read that he has contacts and experience with all the major players in the theatre he'll be stepping into. He's just apparently not as charismatic.

This is actually not that weird a take. My dad had business in Iran & visited Tehran multiple times. He interacted with people involved in resistance movements (not because he was looking for them, it just happened that educated business people with money & international contacts weren't down with the hardline conservatives). Basically he always told me Iranians are mostly super chill people who are kind of dreamers, the shouty dogmatic stuff you see on TV is some other side of the culture. A lot of the older pre-Islamic stuff is still there under the surface. Like, people literally still believe in Jinns & stuff.

Deleted member 26398

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
SourceIranian news agency, Fars news, is reporting that Iran has lunched ballistic missile attack on US bases in Iraq.
I'm literally dying of stress. Those of you who don't have to fear wars and the like are very lucky.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SourceIranian news agency, Fars news, is reporting that Iran has lunched ballistic missile attack on US bases in Iraq.
I'm literally dying of stress. Those of you who don't have to fear wars and the like are very lucky.
Based on Twitter reports (which should be taken with a grain of salt) it is pretty significant attack with "dozens of missiles". I suspect that will lead to further escalation.

Deleted member 26398

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Saw this as well but doubt it, Iran would be insanely stupid to launch attacks from their own territory instead of using their proxies in Iraq, only increases the chances of Trump actually hitting targets inside Iran.
Iran had previously specifically said that the retaliation will be from Iran and Iran will take full responsibility.

The Twitter reports are that it's lunched from Kermanshah airbase in Western Iran bordering Iraq.

Twitter reports are rockets but Fars news says ballistic missiles.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like an odd move by Iran. I think the world expected asymmetrical attacks and would have had some understanding of them. A direct attack like this, however, will be perceived as an additional escalation and will shift some countries views on the issue I suspect.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
It seems like an odd move by Iran. I think the world expected asymmetrical attacks and would have had some understanding of them. A direct attack like this, however, will be perceived as an additional escalation and will shift some countries views on the issue I suspect.

The assasination was a direct and open US military attack on a very senior Iranian military figure. Iran has been very clear and open that there would be a miltary response.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Iran is willing to bet Trump is not going to go to war during an election year.

And yet...

Deleted member 26398

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Tommorow morning I have an exam in Iran's most prominent engineering school which is just beside the space exploration agency don't know if I should go even if nothing happens tonight.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. This is a good reminder that even though Trump is unhinged, so are the Iranian leaders.
I mean that was clear for months. They were trying to put limpet mines on ships, killed an American contractor and attacked the Saudi oil facility. They were taking escalatory steps themselves before Trump escalated it to an extreme degree.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Iran had to answer. I mean, it didn't, but they wouldn't just stand there.

We'll see how far will Trump answer now

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
What it's going to come down to is what damage Iran caused. If it were minor, I doubt the US responds.

Status
Not open for further replies.