• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Hi US Era, for most of you in America -- today is election day!

"Wait, what?" You might be saying, "I don't see a thread on the front page of ResetEra, it can't be election day, I thought that's next year?! Albatross you're screwed up from daylight savings -- you set your clocks back by ONE YEAR not ONE HOUR you big dumb idiot!"

No! Polls are open in all 50 states today!

You might be thinking, "I don't know anything about my local candidates and I don't care, they don't affect my life as much as who the president is or who is running for senate!" But that's where you're wrong! Local elections have a much greater impact on your day to day life. They determine how the bulk of your taxes are spent, they determine the condition of your roads, your schools, your public bathrooms, your public parks; They determine if your children will have public schools to go to or will have to go to a charter school, or if your money is going to be used to support paying teachers or privatizing public education. They help decide if you're going to smoke marijuana legally in your state, or whether the long arm of the law can toss you in the clinker for trying to take the edge off (True story! In 2013, select Massachusetts town and cities had a preliminary non-binding ballot question about the legality of marijuana... It was a test vote, with no ramifications, but it passed overwhelmingly, and provided the template that legalization advocates would use in 2016 when our state finally voted to legalize marijuana... And now, today, I can walk into a dozen pot shops across the state and by some overpriced but high quality marijuana -- it wouldn't have happened without that under-publicized non-binding test vote in a "meaningless" election years earlier)

In many states, state legislative seats are on ballots. "What who really cares about state legislators, they're not the ones voting to impeach Trump, that's the Federal congress!" Aah, but that's where you're wrong! State legislatures draw up congressional districts. That whole "Gerrymandering" thing that we've heard so much about? Parties can gerrymander because they hold majorities in their state legislatures, and if they hold strong majorities and don't have checks by governors or state courts, then they can draw up their congressional districts however they want. If that means excluding black districts from having a say in who represents them in congress, or keeping poor people poor at the benefit of the wealthy, it all contributes. This year, voting in your state elections is as important as ever because 2020 is a census year, and congressional districts will be drawn up based on the state legislators that you will elect today! The 2019 state and local elections are, arguably, the most important elections until 2029, TWO videogame console generations from now!

Further -- picture yourself in 2020, when the presidential choice is between Safe Moderate #1 and Right Wing White Nationalist #1, and you might say, "Eh, I don't even want to vote none of these candidates represent me..." Well! The way to get candidates who look more like you, represent your ideas, and promote the issues that you feel passionate about is to vote for them in your local elections because they'll never ascend to state and federal office otherwise. Do you like candidates like Bernie Sanders? Well, consider this, Bernie Sanders was just a local activist in small city Burlington Vermont when he first ran during a special election for Mayor of the city of Burlington. Burlington had been presided over by a safe liberal mayor, someone everybody liked but few were passionate about. In a close election between a handful of candidates, Bernie Sanders won the mayorship with less than 10 votes in that special election. Ten votes! If those 10 people stayed in that day, say if it rained or if they just didn't feel like voting or if they thought it was unimportant, OR if 11 more people came out to vote for whoever was #2, Sanders would have never won. He probably wouldn't have made a name for himself in Vermont politics, he likely wouldn't have been able to run for the legislature shortly after, he likely would have never won a congressional seat, he likely would have never become senator, and, now in 2019, he likely wouldn't be running for the Democratic ticket for president in the 2020 election. 10 votes! Maybe eventually Sanders would have won some office, but maybe that wouldn't be for 4 or 8 more years, and maybe he would have never ascended to the national picture in 2015 and 2016... Maybe if those 10 people didn't turn out to vote for Bernie Sanders in 1992 or whenever that boring special election was for MAyor of Burlington, then the 2016 Democratic Primary would have been a tooth-and-nail battle between ..... Hillary Clinton and Martin O'Malley.......

Do you want the presidential election of 2032 to look like the presidential election from 2016? Safe Moderate #4 vs. Right Wing Nationalist #3? Do you want to see Chelsea Clinton vs. Diaper Don Jr. in 2036? Or, do you want to see candidates that look like you, talk like you, and are passionate about the issues that you're passionate about? Well, today, those candidates are running for your local city councils, your state eldermans, your school committees and governors councils. You can either hand today's elections over to the geriatric boomers at the retirement home who are all coming out to vote today, and who will elect the same-old-same-olds, or you can go vote yourself and put the next Alexandria Ocasio Cortez, Bernie Sanders, or Elizabeth Warren into the positions that are going to give them the experience and networking opportunities to become those progressive leaders in 2, 6, 12, or 18 years. What else do you have to do today? Rockstar Game Launcher is broken anyway!

Where do I vote?

www.vote.org

Polling Place Locator - Vote.org

Wondering where you vote on Election Day? Use our polling place locator to find out.

Last edited:

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
It's also a nice way to make sure you're registered and ready to vote that orange fuckface out next year.

Deleted member 33057

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Just checked online and I have almost nothing to vote for in my district except for an ethics reform referendum....

Happy voting to everyone else lol

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Voted absentee last week already.

Lots of uncontested seats. Local positions like Ward didn't even have any registered candidates and were write-in only. :\

The mayoral race is hot this year though.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
We have elections.

3 seats on town council and Mayor.

Not a single Democrat to vote for, 🤣 . Straight Rs across the board in every category 🤷‍♂️

Only reason for me to even go is if I want to write in my own name, or "Batman" or something.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Moved from Texas to Washington and it's like moving from the desert to civilization. In Texas I had to get in a car and drive a few miles to stand in line with old people and vote on a klunky machine.

Here in Washington, I got democracy vouchers, which is $100 in free money coupons to donate to your favorite local candidates campaigns. Then they sent us a colorful easy to read ballot with paid postage in the mail, and a pamphlet with each candidates summary. We could drop off the ballot at a ballot box (everyone has one within 3 miles) or mail it or vote in person. I went downstairs in my PJs and dropped my ballot in the outgoing mailbox and that was that. I voted in favor of all the propositions related to tax increases and affordable action. I really appreciate the system here.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
My election choice is hilariously weak this year.
No state election, My GA county doesn't have any elections.
I only have municipal elections, and there are four "races," mayor, and three council-member at large posts.
The mayor and two of the council-members are running unopposed.
The only thing I have to vote for is a single council-member post where the choice is between two (admittedly moderate) suburban republicans. lmao.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
We have a couple of hotly contested items statewide in Washington. Including R-88 (basically wants to overturn I-1000 which was a affirmative action intitiative) and I-972? which is the 30$ car tabs fee. (Many people are paying 400-700$ per year because Sound Transit used some questionable valuation tactics)

There is also a constitutional amendment that makes it easier to clear red tape in event of a natural disaster.

Yeah...in regards to local elections..there is essentially nothing..no County Council positions, no state senator/state representative positions.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
school bond issue that people aren't talking about that much thats actually super important

hope that passes

two seats on the city council, hope to actually get smart people on it this time

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
2 city council seats up and the parks department head. Looked up to make sure they are all dems before I go to the polls in about an hour. I want to make sure I miss the before work rush.

EDIT: I'm in IA
Will be voting all blue in Richmond VA today, hoping to flip the state senate and house blue!
Please do and good luck! Great timing to flip for the 2021 redistricting.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018
Some city council and school board seats here, and a community college levy.

Voting for city council is a pain because all I can find about the candidates is a paragraph each about how they "love our town". Okay, but what's different about you? At least for school board I know not to vote for the guy who said he wanted to save money.

Paches

Oct 25, 2017
Mailed in my ballot last week. The guy challenging the mayor in my city was railing against "our city adopting Seattle values". Kind of told me everything I needed to.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
My local election has no public questions and all Republican incumbents running unopposed. Neat!

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
We have a couple of hotly contested items statewide in Washington. Including R-88 (basically wants to overturn I-1000 which was a affirmative action intitiative) and I-972? which is the 30$ car tabs fee. (Many people are paying 400-700$ per year because Sound Transit used some questionable valuation tactics)

There is also a constitutional amendment that makes it easier to clear red tape in event of a natural disaster.

Yeah...in regards to local elections..there is essentially nothing..no County Council positions, no state senator/state representative positions.

I agree that expensive car tabs suck but I know someone who is an environmental policy analyst who shared this article that was pretty convincing that reducing it to $30 would be horrible for the state

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there really no way to find a polling location by map? I just see a big list of addresses. It's 2019, show me which one is closest to my home.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I agree that expensive car tabs suck but I know someone who is an environmental policy analyst who shared this article that was pretty convincing that reducing it to $30 would be horrible for the state

Yeah....absolutely, 30% is bad for our state, but what Sound Transit did for ST3 was just sneaky. When you have both sides of aisle upset on how that went down, you know you messed up. I've always said I'd be more than willing to chip in a fair amount to fund mass transit, but what they did was egregious. The fact that our political leaders were also misled is also mind boggling.

That is why I am voting no on the car tab initiative, but Sound Transit needs to fix it.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Utilized New York's just adopted early voting, I doubt I'll ever vote on election day again.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
i did early voting. i hope the people in louisiana vote but when they did it last time half the people didn't vote. now we have rispone and edwards in the runoff.

BlackSalad

Oct 27, 2017
Only two items in goodyear, az

Increase in property tax and the sale of some state owned land for school funding. I voted by mail, so nice

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
My polling location used to be 2 blocks from my apartment and now it's 12 which is massively annoying

NoirLamia777

Jan 13, 2019
The eyes of the country are on Virginia today, hope they flip it

Wife and I are doing out part - we helped vote Dave Brat out of the House of Representatives and voted in Abigail Spanberger which was greatly needed last year. Hoping to vote Debra Rodman into our state senate this year. Really would be nice to have a fully blue state.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
School board, local reps and a massive AirBnb regulation vote in my city...

Get out there and vote locally people... smash em' at the polls!

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
10 constitutional amendments on ballot for Texas. Don't know anything about them. Some seem obvious, like temporary property tax exemption for property damaged by natural disasters. But the cynic in me is wondering if it's just another loophole to for rich people to dodge taxes.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the reminder OP. A bunch of constitutional amendment proposals here in Texas.

10 constitutional amendments on ballot for Texas. Don't know anything about them. Some seem obvious, like temporary property tax exemption for property damaged by natural disasters. But the cynic in me is wondering if it's just another loophole to for rich people to dodge taxes.
Yeah theres a few I'm not quite sure on.