• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Each individual rocket's payload is not that large. It's used to shoot at fortified positions and large concentrations of personnel. Terrifying to be on the receiving end but the missiles Iran used against the base had considerably more payload, but less of them.

I just wanted to say I appreciate your clarity with this additional info.

But still god damn, that stuff is terrifying to witness, never mind what those innocent civilians in the nearby towns feel as they watch this shit occur.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We've come back from the brink before in showdowns like this but I'm not confident we have anyone capable of steering us back at this point.

At this point I'm just sort of hoping it stays a proxy war in Iraq - which would be enough of a nightmare for everyone involved - but if Iran is claiming responsibility here I'm not optimistic.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Can we stop mentioning:
WW3 - it isn't happening
Glassing Iran - yes the US can do it, but it's not going to happen, so stop it
Nukes - see above
Invading - not even logical

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
User banned (1 month): inappropriate joke about war profiteering in a sensitive thread
anyway y'all investing in raytheon stocks

I got an offer from a defense contractor but turned it down, maybe I fucked up now w/ this war​

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
I don't get why Iran would do this knowing they would most likely not kill anyone and still get heavy retaliation.

Iran is an authoritarian theocracy that regularly does horrible shit, there's no reason to think their leaders are any more rational or intelligent than our Trumpian kakistocracy.

Also Iranian hardliners keep gaining the upper hand based on the actions of US hardliners, that's how escalation usually happens. Surely after Suleimani was assassinated, the hard liners gained even more power. Ironically the same thing happened when Iran (in efforts led by, ironically, Suleimani) assisted the US in targeting their common enemy the Taliban after 9/11... until GW Bush ruined that cooperation by mentioning Iran in his infamous "Axis of Evil" speech, which played right into the hands of hardliners in Iran.

In those years, Suleimani worked along Iran's eastern frontier, aiding Afghan rebels who were holding out against the Taliban. The Iranian regime regarded the Taliban with intense hostility, in large part because of their persecution of Afghanistan's minority Shiite population. (At one point, the two countries nearly went to war; Iran mobilized a quarter of a million troops, and its leaders denounced the Taliban as an affront to Islam.) In an area that breeds corruption, Suleimani made a name for himself battling opium smugglers along the Afghan border.

In the chaotic days after the attacks of September 11th, Ryan Crocker, then a senior State Department official, flew discreetly to Geneva to meet a group of Iranian diplomats. "I'd fly out on a Friday and then back on Sunday, so nobody in the office knew where I'd been," Crocker told me. "We'd stay up all night in those meetings." It seemed clear to Crocker that the Iranians were answering to Suleimani, whom they referred to as "Haji Qassem," and that they were eager to help the United States destroy their mutual enemy, the Taliban. Although the United States and Iran broke off diplomatic relations in 1980, after American diplomats in Tehran were taken hostage, Crocker wasn't surprised to find that Suleimani was flexible. "You don't live through eight years of brutal war without being pretty pragmatic," he said.

The coöperation between the two countries lasted through the initial phase of the war. At one point, the lead negotiator handed Crocker a map detailing the disposition of Taliban forces. "Here's our advice: hit them here first, and then hit them over here. And here's the logic." Stunned, Crocker asked, "Can I take notes?" The negotiator replied, "You can keep the map." The flow of information went both ways. On one occasion, Crocker said, he gave his counterparts the location of an Al Qaeda facilitator living in the eastern city of Mashhad. The Iranians detained him and brought him to Afghanistan's new leaders, who, Crocker believes, turned him over to the U.S. The negotiator told Crocker, "Haji Qassem is very pleased with our coöperation."

The good will didn't last. In January, 2002, Crocker, who was by then the deputy chief of the American Embassy in Kabul, was awakened one night by aides, who told him that President George W. Bush, in his State of the Union Address, had named Iran as part of an "Axis of Evil." Like many senior diplomats, Crocker was caught off guard. He saw the negotiator the next day at the U.N. compound in Kabul, and he was furious. "You completely damaged me," Crocker recalled him saying. "Suleimani is in a tearing rage. He feels compromised." The negotiator told Crocker that, at great political risk, Suleimani had been contemplating a complete reëvaluation of the United States, saying, "Maybe it's time to rethink our relationship with the Americans." The Axis of Evil speech brought the meetings to an end. Reformers inside the government, who had advocated a rapprochement with the United States, were put on the defensive. Recalling that time, Crocker shook his head. "We were just that close," he said. "One word in one speech changed history."

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
The twin towers falling was the basis for the Afghanistan war, the lie that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction was the basis for the invasion of Iraq two years later. Allies followed Bush, even knowing it was bullshit.

But people believed the lie. People still wanted justice for 911.

Trump assassinated a foreign general that he had Iraq invite for peace talks. Sorry it's not like at all. Trump declared war as a political play for the election, it's pretty obvious to anyone that isnt MAGA. I bet we will have articles of impeachment soon for this.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
To the person asking how far Iranian missiles can strike, I got this from the BBC

Screenshot-20200108-004105-BBC-News.jpg

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
That's a fcking mistake by Iran. They should have gone with threatening Trump properties and burn his wallets.

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
Wish we could just hand over Trump and all his cronies and let Iran have a go at them.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
No casualties is good news, it could lead to de-escalation hopefully.

EDIT: Shit

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
War is likely it seems and there's no fear of a draft until when WW3 erupts as China and Russia enter.

There's enough people enlisted to take Iran from what I read.

Bad Advice

Jan 8, 2019
Poor Iraq getting pulled into shit again. I can't imagine they okayed this mission knowing their people were in danger.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
This is sad. It seems the tiniest of "faith" USA had in Iraq was shit on by Trump. I feel like the right thing would be to leave only if that is what Iraq wants but fear what that also may bring forward. It's like these morons in the admin couldnt check all the possible outcomes. Non were good so why do this air strike? Oh yea Trump has zero ability to manage the admin let alone the military. Fucking dumbasses should have kept him away from the worst possible outcomes. You know he doesn't give a rat's ass what really happens since he is comfy back home chugging his burgers. Fuck that piece of trash.

Deleted member 26398

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The US air Force is completely invincible to at least Iran. I don't know why would anybody say that Iran can hurt the US all of Iran's war fighting capabilities will be destroyed in a few hours. I just hope US responds proportionately because I had nothing to do with this shit.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is this post?

Iran went out of its way to say its problem is with the Trump administration. Striking a base and killing Iraqis is probably not the best choice here, but people forget there are hardliners at the controls in Iran too. A very dangerous situation for everyone involved.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
So troops are going to go into Iran... And lose again. Because no one remotely capable is in the admin . Destroy the country, then Russia cleans up after we leave?