• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I don't think this is a test. This is simply Capcom knowing that they can milk the shit out of Nintendo customers, because they'll pay up. Not just Capcom, but everyone else, including Nintendo who routinely sells older games at a premium.
Capcom's just falling in line with the other big publishers. If Deep Silver can release Saints Row The Third for $40, then Devil May Cry should easily be $20.
What is weird is that Capcom released two or three fair priced games already DDDA at $30 with physical release is fantastic value , their Revelations collection is two solid games, they may not be mainline, but Rev 2 is a fan favorite and of the best modern RE games a lso there was a Phoenix Wright trilogy?
Okami HD as well, even if just ports Capcom could build a decent reputation on Switch

They could have , but now they are just greedy

Last edited:

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
You'd think DMC4 SE would make for a better Capcom test.
Should've been DMC4SE. What are you playing at Capcom.
Why not try to port 4se, i'm sure it can run it
While dmc4 has better graphics, porting only that one (at an increased price?) Would be problematic as well if capcom is truly interested in introducing the series throwing only the fourth game is no better and everybody would still be complaining why no 1\3\DmC , 4 has an infamous campaign that repeats itself and, you know, it's easier and cheaper to port 1 than 4, best bet is they feed the Switch one by one releasing a retail version later

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
As happy as i am, yeah i don't understand why not port the other 2 Devil May Cry, cmon Capcom :-/
Also digital only eh...

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
While dmc4 has better graphics, porting only that one (at an increased price?) Would be problematic as well if capcom is truly interested in introducing the series throwing only the fourth game is no better and everybody would still be complaining why no 1\3\DmC , 4 has an infamous campaign that repeats itself and, you know, it's easier and cheaper to port 1 than 4, best bet is they feed the Switch one by one releasing a retail version later
DMC4SE at least gives you the most value of practically any entry in the series though, between the five playable characters, all the difficulty options and bloody palace. Yeah, there's the whole campaign reuse thing, but I'm not convinced that's a worse look than just throwing up standalone DMC1 HD on the platform and calling it a day.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
4 acts as an entry point considering it isn't Dante's game, it is Nero's. Plus you may redo the campaign but you also get 5 characters.

And I really doubt it is easier to port 1 over 4, considering 4 is done in MT Framework and the Switch definitely has games on the console done in MT Framework.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DMC4 has a lot more positive vocal reception. if anyone's interested in DMC, chances are they have heard of 3 and 4, probably moreso than 1. DMC isn't exactly a game people "creep up on". it's a more enthusiast's game, through and through

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
4 acts as an entry point considering it isn't Dante's game, it is Nero's. Plus you may redo the campaign but you also get 5 characters.

And I really doubt it is easier to port 1 over 4, considering 4 is done in MT Framework and the Switch definitely has games on the console done in MT Framework.
Dante is still more popular character and protagonist of 3 games,plus we know deep inside dmc v isn't getting ported to switch anytime soon 👀
Switch could have problems with the dark knight mode, resolution etc may require a little more optimization, even if say they are working right now on 4se switch it's no surprise it would come a bit later.

Oct 30, 2017
Devil May Cry would do fine on a Nintendo platform.

But re-re releasing a near 20 year old game for 20 bucks isn't going to be much of a real test to gauge interest.

Gleethor

Oct 25, 2017
Dot Matrix with stereo sound
It feels like there's so much hand wringing from third party pubs, Capcom especially, about whether or not the "Switch audience" will buy something or not, like the user base is some unknowable beast.

The switch audience has a huge overlap with the other console audiences, probably more than any recent Nintendo system. Does your game sell well enough on PS4 and Xbox? Is it priced competitively on Switch? Ok cool, you're good. That's it.

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
there's no chance they're gonna fix the minor visual and sound bugs from the HD collection is there

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Why are they even trying? I mean DMC is nice, but why selling the first one only, when the collection was there available? Are they really that clueless thinking people will buy everything just because the game is portable?

Why would anyone in their right mind buy this game? I have no idea.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
lol capcpcom.
Because I bought Dragon's Dogma doesn't mean I'll be interested in all the shit you pop out of your ass as a premium.
Next time why not port Dead Rising Wii for a 60 bucks premium package while you're at it.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
That's some hot garbage. It's generally well known that games sell on Switch as long as the publisher isn't a dingus about it, so I'm not sure why Capcom thinks that splitting up the collection is a good idea at all. They're probably going to charge more for DMC1 than the entire collection anyway, because it's Capcom.

What's even worse is that when this inevitably fails to sell, they'll complain that no one bought the game for some arbitrary reason and then not port any of the others that people actually want (DMC3, DMC4SE).

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
They can keep it, fuck this.

Plenty of other games on Switch to play, I'm not hurting for content.

giphy.gif

OP
OP
SinCityAssassin
Oct 25, 2017

It's also easier and cheaper to just port the whole trilogy than to piece out the game for a smaller release and drip feed it with bad publicity.

OP
OP
SinCityAssassin
Oct 25, 2017
To be completely honest you'd think "Bayo 2 sales exceeding Wii U version sales" would've been an adequate enough test on its own for Capcom to look at and to be like "porting over the whole trilogy could work" when their apparent standards for an effort like this can be exceeded if it gets past 250k sales.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
FFS Capcom, for every good thing you pull off on PS4 you pull shit like this. Why do they have to be like this? What's the point in ripping out the first game form the trilogy? This is bordering on trolling at this point.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To be completely honest you'd think "Bayo 2 sales exceeding Wii U version sales" would've been an adequate enough test on its own for Capcom to look at and to be like "porting over the whole trilogy could work" when their apparent standards for an effort like this can be exceeded if it gets past 250k sales.
Every damn game they released so far. It should have been clear with that greedy af SF II port that sold like gangbusters. They just have to look at their own meager amount of games they sold on the system so far. Shit makes no sense whatsoever. It's like some Capcom execs are trolling Nintendo like: Oh you wanted DmC? Here you go, we never said it would be the trilogy, the contract doesn't say it either. Trolololol"

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If this just so Dante can be in Smash, I'm ok with it. I'm still not buying an un-enhanced port of DMC1. Would rather have a portable 3 or 4.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If this just so Dante can be in Smash, I'm ok with it. I'm still not buying an un-enhanced port of DMC1. Would rather have a portable 3 or 4.

Dante has been in two 3DS games, developed by a Nintendo studio and in the second one he crossed over with Nintendo characters.

Considering Joker's only presence is Persona Q2 and now Scramble Dante would already qualify.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Bayonetta 2 is not a good standard for any game, Capcom won't look at random investor quote numbers like ERA does, not that it means they are treating well this release, its embarrassing but hilarious at the same time

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dante has been in two 3DS games, developed by a Nintendo studio and in the second one he crossed over with Nintendo characters.

Considering Joker's only presence is Persona Q2 and now Scramble Dante would already qualify.
Would be two waste of slots for promotion of stuff Nintendo fans actually can own on their systems, so I don't doubt anything. :(

But honestly this is probably just Capcom being as cheap as possible because they feel like they can do it and have no big releases in the FY, so they just want to maximize profits with their ports

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I keep forgetting about project X zone. This is like the second or third time someone has reminded me lol.