• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: The season could still possibly be finished, per Telltale. https://www.resetera.com/threads/te...shing-twd’s-final-season.70679/#post-13043612

——————

This came up recently in the other thread, but it seemed big enough to warrant its own thread. If I'm wrong, feel free to lock it up.

US Gamer is reporting that contrary to earlier reports, The Walking Dead: The Final Season has been canceled due to all of its team being laid off. The remaining staff at Telltale are instead going to be working on the Minecraft project for Netflix until it's completed.

Source: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/re...-wolf-among-us-2-and-stranger-things-canceled

Update 4 [4:12pm]: As information continues to come out of today's announcement that Telltale Games is closing, and particularly in light of Telltale's statement, there are new revelations to the situation at Telltale.

We previously reported that a skeleton crew will remain behind to complete work on The Walking Dead Final Season. That information was inaccurate. Sources who wish to remain anonymous explained that there is a skeleton crew at Telltale, but they will be working on the Minecraft Story Mode project for Netflix. In fact, The Walking Dead team was also laid off today and The Walking Dead Final Season will not be completed.

This matches with the statement issued by Telltale games where the company promised to "fulfill the company's obligations to its board and partners." Our sources say The Walking Dead Final Season is set to end after the second episode launches next week.
This is awful news if true (though obviously not as awful as the layoffs themselves— my heart goes out to all affected). This is the series that really got them public attention, and for them to not be able to finish their story right before the finish line is heartbreaking. It's even more sad considering all of the positive feedback that episode one got last month. It really seemed like they'd learned a lot about what gameplay can be like in their games, and the story seemed like it was on track to be as good as the first season.

As a reminder, episode two is supposed to release next week. If it manages to make it out of the door, it sounds like it's going to be the last episode, and the series will not be finished. Hopefully we'll have official confirmation (or de-confirmation) soon, and if it is true, we'll learn if people who already paid for the season will be refunded or not.

Last edited:

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope people will get refunds, but I expect some " X company won't do refunds " threads soon. A real damn shame this won't get concluded.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope we get at least the whole script of how the game was going to end, to give some closure to the fans and early adopters.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna have to make our own ending.

lr0ijmo9cqq01.jpg

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Nice to make an unresolved game when the higher ups probably knew they weren't going to last long enough to finish it. I'm mad. Hope those that worked hard on it find something new to do because they were good at what they did.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I hope we get at least the whole script of how the game was going to end, to give some closure to the fans and early adopters.
My hope is that Skybound will work something out and deliver the rest of the story in some other form. Maybe an animated comic (or hell, a regular comic) or something.

I just can't imagine this story not being finished in some form. We're so close to the end of it. Even if the game goes unfinished, surely we'll get the rest of it via other means?

Wouldnt there be multiple endings depending on the choices you made?
Probably, yeah. Unless Kirkman has plans for these characters, I don't see Telltale not going all-out with very different endings.

Risq

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What if I've already used my 1 refund with Sony in the past?

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Why the hell would a whole company get laid off? Were they not making money? What the hell happened?

Deleted member 5398

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So.. the game that put them on the map and gave them worldwide attention and praise.. wont even get a proper ending.

Sad.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
If true and if refunds aren't immediate for everyone then this is the kind of thing that could deal a serious blow to confidence in the episodic model for gaming.

Cutebrute

Nov 8, 2017
Arkansas
I guess we may have to look forward to a blog post finale in x years.

Clem and all of the talented folks at TTG deserve better.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Everyone who bought directly on Steam (not Steam keys on 3rd party sites) should be OK if they want to refund. Valve will eat the cost if TTG is bankrupt.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
While I feel for the employees who lost jobs today, literally fuck Telltale for selling us a product they had no intention of finishing. Paying for the whole season and getting only half of it is ridiculous.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Damn shame we will never see the conclusion of Clementine's story, glad I didn't pay for the season pass before it was finished.

Last edited:

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope that source is wrong. That would be extremely disappointing and a clusterfuck on their end to refund everyone.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
i convinced a friend to get the TWD collection and final season like, the beginning of this week

he's going to be so fucking pissed with me

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds devastating, they've done some good work and I feel the brilliant Melissa Hutchison and her character deserves a worthy coda. Hopefully at the worst we'd get an audio book/animation to wrap it up.