• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The top US nuclear commander said on Saturday that he would resist President Donald Trump if he ordered an "illegal" launch of nuclear weapons.

Air Force General John Hyten, commander of the US Strategic Command (Stratcom), told an audience at the Halifax international security forum in Nova Scotia, Canada that he had given a lot of thought to what he would say if he received such an order.

"I think some people think we're stupid," Hyten said in response to a question about such a scenario. "We're not stupid people. We think about these things a lot. When you have this responsibility, how do you not think about it?"

And if it's illegal, guess what's going to happen? I'm going to say, 'Mr President, that's illegal.' And guess what he's going to do? He's going to say, 'What would be legal?' And we'll come up with options, of a mix of capabilities to respond to whatever the situation is, and that's the way it works. It's not that complicated.

Hyten said running through scenarios of how to react in the event of an illegal order was standard practice, and added: "If you execute an unlawful order, you will go to jail. You could go to jail for the rest of your life."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...uld-resist-illegal-trump-nuclear-strike-order

This makes me feel a little better. I was under the impression that an order is an order but that's not the case. Good to know.

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that this even has to be said is a mark of a great humiliation for the US

Nov 1, 2017
It's amazing how so many people, be it generals or even other Republicans that realize letting Trump being able to have control of nukes is a very bad idea. The fact they have put in steps to limit his ability to use them says a lot.

SmarmySmurf

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Can Trump just fire this guy the way he seems to be able to replace people in so many other departments? Until Trump I had no idea so many positions were completely at the President's discretion and it's a bit scary no matter who is elected.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Making an illegal command to use nukes should in of itself warrant arresting the president.

Inkblots

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I'm pretty sure it would basically require mutiny to go against the order.
Uniform code of military justice allows for subordinates to refuse orders that are unlawful.

Considering how much sabre rattling Trump has been doing with North Korea? Yes.
I disagree. If the question was about military action, that would be different. I doubt any of his advisors would suggest nuclear strike as a first option: let alone an illegal, preemptive, nuclear attack against NK.

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. If the question was about military action, that would be different. I doubt any of his advisors would suggest nuclear strike as a first option: let alone an illegal, preemptive, nuclear attack against NK.

Who says it has to be a first strike? What if he gets his wish and drags the US into a conventional war with NK, only for it to quickly degenerate into something resembling another Vietnam? You think Trump is gonna take that L? No chance in hell. He'll sooner see Pyongyang turned to gravel.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Mr. President, this is illegal."

"Your opinion, who are you? I'm president. My opinion is the one that matters."

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
Bad move. We need men and women like this to hold their positions of power.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
Did it need to be said, though? An unlawful order is an unlawful order no matter who's giving it.

I don't think President Trump knows that.

Just because it is legal doesn't make it right. I do not believe Trump is capable of making such a call. If a legal order was given, but he knew it to be a terrible order, would the general still go with it?

Oct 25, 2017
Uniform code of military justice allows for subordinates to refuse orders that are unlawful.

How is unlawfulness here determined? Doesn't the president have the authority to fire a nuclear missle?

Ein

Oct 25, 2017
The right is gonna forget their whole "Respect the Military!" real fucking fast.

Meicyn

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
How is unlawfulness here determined? Doesn't the president have the authority to fire a nuclear missle?
The President has authority, but the Law of Armed Conflict comes into play. There are four principles that must be factored in with combat decisions: distinction, proportionality, military necessity, and unnecessary suffering. An order to fire a nuclear weapon out of the blue would be scrutinized by any commanding officer and summarily ignored unless at LEAST proportionality and necessity were met, especially since it's impossible for the other two to apply with nukes.

Oct 25, 2017
The President has authority, but the Law of Armed Conflict comes into play. There are four principles that must be factored in with combat decisions: distinction, proportionality, military necessity, and unnecessary suffering. An order to fire a nuclear weapon out of the blue would be scrutinized by any commanding officer and summarily ignored unless at LEAST proportionality and necessity were met, especially since it's impossible for the other two to apply with nukes.

Interesting, didn't know that, thanks!

I was coming from what I had heard on NPR a few days ago, where one of the reporters essentially described ignoring a nuclear launch order as requiring what would amount to mutiny by the armed forces.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol

"If the President does it, it's not illegal," to quote the man who waged a secret war in Cambodia. Well, that was different. Iran-Contra. Well, that was different.

Give me a break.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

I was coming from what I had heard on NPR a few days ago, where one of the reporters essentially described ignoring a nuclear launch order as requiring what would amount to mutiny by the armed forces.

Resistance to using nuclear arms from rank and file/officers has happened before. No reason to believe it wouldn't happen again if the circumstances were suspect.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Only if it's 'illegal'. He'd still launch the nukes if the order came down with the correct cover sheets attached.
I mean, in this case, the paperwork is rather hefty if you're trying to do a preemptive first strike. One of three things has to happen: authorization through a United Nations Security Council resolution; a determination of legitimate self-defense (including collective self-defense with allies or partners), which can be in response to the imminent threat of an attack; and use of force in an otherwise lawful manner with the consent of the state we're shooting at.

#1 or #3 aren't happening. As for #2, the imminent part is highly contested. It would almost have to be a watertight case before it would get legal approval.

Additionally, StratCom is good people. In that article, former Commander Kehler said the exact same as the current StratCom Commander. I would think that Trump would have to dig pretty hard to find a general willing to do that for him. Not to mention all the subordinates he would have to fire to find someone to turn the keys.

Meicyn

Oct 27, 2017
Florida

A really interesting read is the decision made by Stanislav Petrov, a Russian nuke Commander who used some sense and good judgment, chose not to fire, saving the entire world decades ago. The consequences of firing nukes is so well understood that no military commander, regardless of nation, wants to be the one that begins the annihilation of civilization through mutually assured destruction.

Deleted member 25712

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There is no illegal order from the president in this case. That's why statements like these are non statements and the fat orange piece of shit psychopath in charge is legitimately terrifying

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that this even has to be said is a mark of a great humiliation for the US
Yep. If we ever lose our status as a world superpower, historians will cite comments like this as what would have proven to be a long series of warning flags over an extended period of time in our history.

Oct 27, 2017
I know this might seem like a "No duh" statement, but it really isn't. It needed to be said, and it's comforting that he put it out there so bluntly to remind everyone that a fool can't destroy the world on a whim.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Ironic, In the UK we've got the public bragging that they would fire nukes and are trying to humiliate the opposition party for not being willing to fire nukes.

Meicyn

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
There is no illegal order from the president in this case. That's why statements like these are non statements and the fat orange piece of shit psychopath in charge is legitimately terrifying
Yeah, this is straight up false for the reasons I stated above, and more. The President could order that all of Congress be rounded up and shot, and such an order would not be carried out.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, in this case, the paperwork is rather hefty if you're trying to do a preemptive first strike. One of three things has to happen: authorization through a United Nations Security Council resolution; a determination of legitimate self-defense (including collective self-defense with allies or partners), which can be in response to the imminent threat of an attack; and use of force in an otherwise lawful manner with the consent of the state we're shooting at.

#1 or #3 aren't happening. As for #2, the imminent part is highly contested. It would almost have to be a watertight case before it would get legal approval.

Additionally, StratCom is good people. In that article, former Commander Kehler said the exact same as the current StratCom Commander. I would think that Trump would have to dig pretty hard to find a general willing to do that for him. Not to mention all the subordinates he would have to fire to find someone to turn the keys.
So what is in the Nuclear Football?

I thought that was the one and only go switch?

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
DHnFokCUwAA5Pde.jpg

Meicyn

Oct 27, 2017
Florida

Launch codes, a way to communicate to commanders at any location when not at a command center, and guidance/procedures. That's pretty much it. The nuclear football isn't even necessary if the President is already in a command center. It's just providing mobile functionality like a laptop would. Execution of orders still goes through the chain of command.

Nintex

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Launch codes, a way to communicate to commanders at any location when not at a command center, and guidance/procedures. That's pretty much it. The nuclear football isn't even necessary if the President is already in a command center. It's just providing mobile functionality like a laptop would. Execution of orders still goes through the chain of command.
If Trump calls a Nuclear strike it will be from the Mar-a-lago while eating ice cream lol.

Deleted member 3345

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Do you think fuckface remembers or knows how to order people to get in there? or if they are letting this puppet near there?

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Meicyn just covered it a bit above, but what I was getting at is that those are the legal barriers preventing a Commander of StratCom from allowing a preemptive first strike. They wouldn't want to do it because it'd be a severe violation of international law and norms.

That's not to say that Trump couldn't eventually find someone to do it, but he'd probably have to fire quite a few people, which most people would agree is a broad abuse of power.

Deleted member 11943

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems that Trump's presidency is leading to an important and needed reduction in power for the presidency. Even if these checks were there always, the keys to the nukes stuff was the story all the way back to JFK.

I think for too long people touted the most important man/woman in the universe, leader of the free world bs. The power should rest with a multitude of elected officials, and they shouldn't give it away due to some presidential mysticism. It is a power of Congress to declare war.

A series of useless presidents paved the way. With Trump we can just embrace the fact that we are electing whoever we want to drink a beer with, or keep the news cycle fresh as fuck.

OP
OP
_Karooo

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any pre-emptive strike could be an illegal order. I mean Bush 2 gave a bunch of them re: interrogations and they were followed too, but no one's gonna touch this stuff.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I think he would certainly be within his rights to refuse such an order, but i could see the argument for people who feel differently (in a purely legalistic sense, anyway. Nuclear first strikes are abhorrent).

Because we have blessedly never had a nuclear war the legality of a first strike (under the laws of war could potentially be a war crime) means that we haven't gathered consensus on whether a nuclear first strike order would be a lawful order, which officers are bound to obey without question, or an unlawful one which they are obligated to refuse lest they be brought to justice for it afterwards.

bobeth

Oct 28, 2017
It only needs to be said because the current POTUS is too volatile for comfort. Think about that..